What is Cthulhu?

May 28, 2009 at 4:20 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Cthulhu

Who the heck are these people? Where do you think they came from? Are they just guys in frog suits? I looked around, but I didn't find any related threads.

My theory: these are some of the surviving humans from the Mimiga Massacre, and they're hiding in obscure places, in disguise. Who knows what they're hiding from, maybe killer robots aren't programmed to shoot frogs. With the exception of Quote, of course. Are these people crazy? Maybe. The Mimiga Massacre did sound horrific.

May 28, 2009 at 4:28 AM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
There is only one Cthulthu (<--correct spelling, by the way), who uses holographic projections of himself to do his job as the Island Guide. The only times Quote met him in person were in Cthulthu's Abode and then, after the Abode was destroyed, in the Plantation.

May 28, 2009 at 4:30 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
T-Jack said:
There is only one Cthulthu (<--correct spelling, by the way), who uses holographic projections of himself to do his job as the Island Guide. The only times Quote met him in person were in Cthulthu's Abode and then, after the Abode was destroyed, in the Plantation.
I like this idea best! =D
Mostly because I always thought there was only one Cthulhlu...

May 28, 2009 at 4:34 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
T-Jack said:

I'm quoting the ending credits here, "The Mysterious Native Inhabitants: Cthulhu"

Hence the plural.

May 28, 2009 at 4:36 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Noo!!

rust45 said:
I'm quoting the ending credits here, "The Mysterious Native Inhabitants: Cthulhu"

Hence the plural.
Damn you credits, Damn you....

Well, what are the odds that they all look alike and act exactly the same?

May 28, 2009 at 4:40 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Considering they all wear the same clothing, I think they would look alike. And the way they act isn't really shown, they just say a couple things, that doesn't show their personalities.

May 28, 2009 at 4:43 AM
How come only Rust and I can spell "Cthulhu"? It's not "Cthlulthu" or "Cthulhlu".

Well, what are the odds that they all look alike and act exactly the same?

Kind of like the Shovel Brigade? And the prisoners? And I could go on and on..
Also, T-Jack, that's a cool theory. Too bad it's impossible. So, who else agrees with me that they're probably just guys in costumes?

May 28, 2009 at 4:48 AM
This Troper
Now why did I start using Cthulthu? Why? I have been misled!!

Ahem... It's a pity the credits don't agree, I like that theory.

May 28, 2009 at 4:49 AM
Captain Fabulous said:
How come only Rust and I can spell "Cthulhu"? It's not "Cthlulthu" or "Cthulhlu".

Kind of like the Shovel Brigade? And the prisoners? And I could go on and on..
Also, T-Jack, that's a cool theory. Too bad it's impossible. So, who else agrees with me that they're probably just guys in costumes?

I'm just going by what you said by looking at the title when I spell it.

And I agree with you that they are guys in costumes.

May 28, 2009 at 5:05 AM
/end
Or that could be their real form. I mean it's not like we have giant rabbits and roaches running around the Island, right?

May 28, 2009 at 5:19 AM
I somehow doubt it. It looks like Pixel wanted it to look like there's a guy in a frog suit, so that's what I say it is.
Also, when I started the thread, I forgot that they were the native inhabitants. So this got me wondering... does that mean the Mimigas aren't the native inhabitants? That they're from the surface, like I've been saying all along?

May 28, 2009 at 5:47 AM
This Troper
Well, the Island is large enough to contain several native species at once, isn't it?

May 28, 2009 at 7:25 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Captain Fabulous said:
My theory: these are some of the surviving humans from the Mimiga Massacre
Hey! That's my theory. Theory stealer-er! :D

May 28, 2009 at 8:20 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
The name "Cthulhu"'s taken from some kind of horror novel, I think. There migth be a connection, but I don't know if Pixel likes horror novels. I think it would be more visible in his games if he did.

And frog suits? I beleived those were just plain, mysterious green robes?

May 28, 2009 at 8:32 AM
/end
Yal said:
The name "Cthulhu"'s taken from some kind of horror novel, I think.

It comes from H. P. Lovecraft works. Whether or not Pixel read one of his books is up for debate.

May 28, 2009 at 10:23 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
It could be fruit of the translators, as well. What if AeonGenesis tought "Hmm- none in the western world would get this obsure reference to the ancient japanese folklore. What to do?" *glances at bedside table* "Aha."

Or was the japanese name of the Cthulhu Cthulhu?

May 28, 2009 at 11:21 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Oh!

Yal said:
It could be fruit of the translators, as well. What if AeonGenesis tought "Hmm- none in the western world would get this obsure reference to the ancient japanese folklore. What to do?" *glances at bedside table* "Aha."

Or was the japanese name of the Cthulhu Cthulhu?
Oh! That's something we should be looking into...
...Specially after the Grasstown/Bushland thing....
:D

May 28, 2009 at 11:44 PM
Cthulhu does not sound Japanese at all. I'm guessing it was something like "Katulu" and AG was like "Hey, that guy's green, let's call him Cthulhu!"
But I say that the Mimigas may not be the indigenous species because Pixel said that Cthulhu(s?) is, and said nothing about the Mimigas. Maybe he was lazy, he probably wanted us to wonder, but I'm sticking to my theory because it's more fun and makes just as much sense.

May 28, 2009 at 11:52 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Heheh

Captain Fabulous said:
Cthulhu does not sound Japanese at all. I'm guessing it was something like "Katulu" and AG was like "Hey, that guy's green, let's call him Cthulhu!"
But I say that the Mimigas may not be the indigenous species because Pixel said that Cthulhu(s?) is, and said nothing about the Mimigas. Maybe he was lazy, he probably wanted us to wonder, but I'm sticking to my theory because it's more fun and makes just as much sense.
'Course, depends on what you call sense. :D
And I read somewhere that the Island is also called the "Mimiga Island"
Makes you think that they're the main natives, with a name like that...

May 28, 2009 at 11:55 PM
They're the dominant species. The Cthulhu seem pretty quiet and unobtrusive (unlike the real Cthulhu), so the Mimigas went ahead and took over the island.
Man, why did Pixel even put the Cthulhu in there? They serve no purpose that a sign or Mimiga hermit couldn't fulfill.