What is Cthulhu?

Sep 7, 2015 at 9:06 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Definitely not the embodiment of the Illuminati.

Sep 9, 2015 at 2:05 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I like to think that they were put in to fill the game's areas with some friendly NPCs. I'd be interested to know more about them though, as some seem to have been around for a long time.

Sep 9, 2015 at 2:11 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I've always kind of wondered what Cthulhu was. Is it one character, or are there multiple Cthulhus?
It isn't one character, there are multiple Cthulhu. They are essentially the island's more native human residents.

They clearly have been around when Quote and Curly arrived, as they know of the war of that time. They might even have been around since the floating island has existed.
Jenka tells of humans who died during the robot/mimiga conflict. I would imagine that they were the Cthulhu.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2015 at 2:49 AM
Based Member
Jenka tells of humans who died during the robot/mimiga conflict. I would imagine that they were the Cthulhu.
That's a very interesting theory, I never thought of that. I always assumed that the humans Jenka talked about were people who went up to the island to try to resolve the situation in a more diplomatic way, or were doing research and got caught up in the war. But your theory is quite plausible.

Or, it could have also been both.

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:51 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I've always held the personal head-cannon that the Island is the kingdom where Ballos once lived, and that Hell is the dungeon where he was imprisoned. Going off that theory, the Cthulu could've been related to the King in some way. They could be noblemen or peasants from the kingdom. Or they could've been advisors to the King. They could also be cult worshipers of Ballos.

Sep 12, 2015 at 3:55 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
They could be noblemen or peasants from the kingdom. Or they could've been advisors to the King. They could also be cult worshipers of Ballos.
I'm pretty sure that everyone from the old kingdom died. I expect that the Cthulhu wouldn't have occupied the island until much later.

Sep 12, 2015 at 5:09 AM
I'm pretty sure that everyone from the old kingdom died. I expect that the Cthulhu wouldn't have occupied the island until much later.

Eh. I like my headcanon better. It makes for a more interesting mod. :mahin:

Sep 12, 2015 at 5:04 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
It isn't one character, there are multiple Cthulhu. They are essentially the island's more native human residents.

I think that there is only one cthulhu. Why? Because in Curly story, as you know, Curly sometimes talks to NPCs, right? So when she sees the second Cthulhu, in the Bushlands or something, the first thing she says is 'Hey, it's green guy!' or something like this, so she wouldn't say something like to this if it wasn't only one cthulhu.

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:13 PM
Based Member
So when she sees the second Cthulhu, in the Bushlands or something, the first thing she says is 'Hey, it's green guy!' or something like this, so she wouldn't say something like to this if it wasn't only one cthulhu.
I think you're assuming too much there. What if the second Cthulhu just looked a lot like the first one and Curly thought it was the same one? It would be an easy mistake to make. And given the mysterious demeanor with which the Cthulhu speak, it's no surprise that he didn't bother to correct Curly.

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:30 PM
I think you're assuming too much there. What if the second Cthulhu just looked a lot like the first one and Curly thought it was the same one? It would be an easy mistake to make. And given the mysterious demeanor with which the Cthulhu speak, it's no surprise that he didn't bother to correct Curly.
Yeah, maybe, that's why it's only my theory. But Cave Story is about small clues that shows the whole story, so putting mistakes there isn't good. Of course they could do this, but still. Also, Cthulhu has his home in Egg corridor, Cthulhu's Abode. And my another theory is that Cthulhu is interested in quote, maybe he IS the guy that organised the whole killer robots action, and that's why he observes how quote progress through the game. Maybe Quote have something that records his surrounding, and what others are saying, and also he can see what Quote is seeing, that's why he saw that Quote is coming to egg corridor and he went there before him, he heard that he is going to bushlands, so he went here too, and so on. Or maybe that's nonsense. Maybe he tries to tell something to Quote, but he can't tell everything, because he is shy, or he don't want to tell everything, because it would be too much, or because he waits until Quote will be ready to know the whole story, or becuase he wants Quote to uncover the story by himself. Or maybe i am totally wrong and i am the worst theorist ever.

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:41 PM
Yeah, maybe, that's why it's only my theory. But Cave Story is about small clues that shows the whole story, so putting mistakes there isn't good. Of course they could do this, but still. Also, Cthulhu has his home in Egg corridor, Cthulhu's Abode. And my another theory is that Cthulhu is interested in quote, maybe he IS the guy that organised the whole killer robots action, and that's why he observes how quote progress through the game. Maybe Quote have something that records his surrounding, and what others are saying, and also he can see what Quote is seeing, that's why he saw that Quote is coming to egg corridor and he went there before him, he heard that he is going to bushlands, so he went here too, and so on. Or maybe that's nonsense. Maybe he tries to tell something to Quote, but he can't tell everything, because he is shy, or he don't want to tell everything, because it would be too much, or because he waits until Quote will be ready to know the whole story, or becuase he wants Quote to uncover the story by himself. Or maybe i am totally wrong and i am the worst theorist ever.

The biggest indicator for me that Cthulhu is not one individual is the fact that he appears twice on separate ends of Grasstown.

Additionally, Curly Story is technically not canon, so you can't take make any assumptions based off of that.

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:26 AM
The biggest indicator for me that Cthulhu is not one individual is the fact that he appears twice on separate ends of Grasstown.
Additionally, Curly Story is technically not canon, so you can't take make any assumptions based off of that.

NEWS!!! I just realised that when you'll finish the game and there is list of characters, Cthulhu are described as The enigmatic natives or, in AG translation, The mysterious native inhabitants, so i was wrong and for SURE they are several characters. :pignon:

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:53 PM
NEWS!!! I just realised that when you'll finish the game and there is list of characters, Cthulhu are described as The enigmatic natives or, in AG translation, The mysterious native inhabitants, so i was wrong and for SURE they are several characters. :pignon:

Enigmatic natives... that supports my theory.

Sep 15, 2015 at 7:34 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Interesting collective name for them though. Like, they could've been named something sounding native-ish, but Cthulhu? Why (I assume we all know who Cthulhu is here)?

Jun 22, 2016 at 5:42 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Cthulhu ARE a group who help each other in researching the island, they are people wearing these clothes (i don't know why). They just research the island.

This is what i found for Cthulhu:
upload_2016-6-22_18-40-28.jpeg

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:18 PM
Serri Online
War criminal
Make sure not to make a thread on an already existing topic.
But you can't just expect them to necrobump an old thread. :v This thread is valid.

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:19 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
But you can't just expect them to necrobump an old thread. :v This thread is valid.
The rules say as long as you contribute to the original topic, thread bumping is OK.

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:20 PM
Serri Online
War criminal
Not if the thread is like, 6 years old and no one has ever posted since then, you baka.

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:25 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Straight from the forum rules:

Bumping Posts

You are allowed to bump old threads only providing it is with a post that contributes to that thread's original topic rather than that thread's current topic of conversation (i.e. replying to someone from 2 years back is not cool). In fact it is generally preferred over making a new thread. However, any bumping of threads that do not meet these conditions are frowned upon, and will probably result in post deletion. Likewise, do not respond to dead threads when they are bumped to tell the person in question not to necrobump, since such posts are considered to be spam.