What if we can make a Mega Man mod for Cave Story?

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:31 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I was curious as to why there are no mods for a mega man cave story experience, until I found out that there is no metroid or pokemon or kirby mod for cave story, it's not that easy.
So this is just an idea of how this could work out, maybe creating levels and pixel editing tile sets to be more like a mega man game.
Making bosses... well, give you sub items and powerful ones give you weapons?
How about what I'm doing?
All I did was create a mega man sprite like so
p172226-0-megaman.png

Please give me idea's so I can possibly work on it.
Currently more aesthetic with mega man graphics along with the first and second level almost done, feedback time?
There is an intro stage you must pass first before you can continue with the game, various levels will be edited.
"This is NOT a community project, your proof is that this mod is on hold until I work on it myself, anyone helping is just doing that."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2paoglFJTRw

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Actually, the myChar looks really good. The only thing I don't like about it is when he's jumping and looking down at the same time, the cyan on his helmet looks a little funny to me. As for recommendations, include Tornado Man I'd say probably use teleporters as a substitute for the stage select.

EDIT: Cave Story X Mega Man, for you lurkers out there.

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:01 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Fun idea, actually there are many multiple ideas you can use for the story line and choosing weapons wouldn't be much of a problem either, hope you can make a demo!

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:07 AM
I added the link for a reason, that is your demo unfortunately. :(
Maybe I'll just have to come up with stage's drawn from scratch, you guys can figure out the rest.
Oh and no dialog please.

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:36 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Oh don't say that, the mega man sprite looks awesome, just keep it up!

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:54 AM
Well...
I'll try, but it will take time and script errors before I come up with some levels.

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:20 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Practice makes perfect.

Loving the idea so far.

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:08 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Wow. At first I almost laughed at this since just yesterday or so, I saw this.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/239800/discussions/0/864974880459095471/
But I am impressed. Even though it's just Megaman, just Megaman is a lot for me since I've wanted to see this for a long time. I suggest that like tpcool said, you make something like the Megaman 2 boss rush at the end with teleporters, and add a section with the booster (I have no idea what that would be in Megaman, maybe item 2) with disappearing blocks. There must be disappearing blocks. And Sheep Man. Also, if you plan to reskin existing weapons, I suggest you turn the spur into the atomic fire, machine gun into mega buster, missile launcher into *insert bomb weapon here* , and bubbler either into bubble lead, or possibly *insert shield weapon here*

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:20 AM
Thanks, all of you guys are awesome.
I should definitely work on a mega man mod for cave story first, I just have to learn how teleporters work and we are all clear.
We can also discuss how the bosses should work, maybe just the the normal cave story bosses would be fine?
However I can guarantee you bosses reward you with items like weapons and but can only have up to 5.
Maybe the others can be handy items like the map and booster 1.0 and 2.0 and I can add chests that have health potions.

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:26 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
If you're worried about how to get in the appropriate amount of bosses in with the limited arsenal available, you could always do it Game Boy-style and have only four robot masters, then follow it up with a single long fortress stage. Creates less work and stays true to the series. If this goes anywhere and is decent at all, I could always recreate some Mega Man tunes for you oh god please no sheep man aah.

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:37 AM
If you plan to use the Cave Story bosses, than you should probably just use completely original weapons. Although, does this mean you'll get weapons based on them? Because some might be kind of cool but some would be pretty strange. What would balfrog and omega give you?

Tpcool said:
If you're worried about how to get in the appropriate amount of bosses in with the limited arsenal available, you could always do it Game Boy-style and have only four robot masters, then follow it up with a single long fortress stage. Creates less work and stays true to the series. If this goes anywhere and is decent at all, I could always recreate some Mega Man tunes for you oh god please no sheep man aah.
Actually, there are ten weapons, which is just enough for 8 from the robot masters, one mega buster to start with, and maybe one from Dr. Light, if he finds some strange way to appear. Of course, if you go with the max of five you can keep, then gameboy style is the perfect amount.

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:40 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
8 robot masters with weapons you can trade in with a cap of 5?

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:58 AM
Remember guys, I'm not that good at modding, so I may not have the mod to answer your prayers.

Aug 12, 2013 at 4:12 AM
Well even if you can't do all this stuff, I think most of us will be happy even just with a few graphical edits and music tracks. As much as I would love a Megaman-like adventure, that's enough for me.

Aug 12, 2013 at 4:32 AM
First I should focus on drawing out the levels by hand and crafting them with the editor, then I'll need to figure out how to allow the player to use the teleporter and pick any level they like, only hiding out the last one.
Finally I'll do the other stuff such as the graphics.
But I want you guys to promise me that someone out there will contribute some work into this, even if it's almost nothing.

Aug 12, 2013 at 4:35 AM
You can actually go to a max of 6 (or is it 7?) equipped weapons at a time without the game breaking itself. Having more than 5 will cause the inventory to go slightly offscreen, but with 6 it doesn't look too terrible.

I think you should do what these guys are saying and keep it simple with the 4-stage + finale plan.

And if you need help with like setting up the bosses or something else, I can look into it.

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:24 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
7 is the max without breaking stuff. Technically there are 8 slots for weapons in Profile.dat, but Pixel didn't bounds check, he only checked if the next weapon block had no weapon, so who knows what data in ram was being read as weapon 9, weapon 10, weapon 11, weapon 12, etc if you obtained that 8th weapon.

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:35 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
metalsonic71 said:
But I want you guys to promise me that someone out there will contribute some work into this, even if it's almost nothing.
Asking for people to equally contribute and finish a mod is kinda hard here, if you haven't noticed. I'd be more than happy to help, of course, but I would really like some work into it beforehand if you want me (or anybody really) to take this seriously. Let's try not to make it over ambitious (four main stages to choose from in any order + a final stage is plenty) and I'll definitely contribute.

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:21 AM
I could probably give suggestions here and there, help with coding, bug testing and fixing... A few little things.

But like Tpcool said, some of us are busy with our own projects.

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Group projects on this forum seemed to be destined to fail, with the only "successful" one being the frankenstein of a mod, Take 8.