What if the cave story beta is used as a prequel?

Jul 15, 2020 at 12:14 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I came up with a pretty creative idea, I figured what would happen if the Cave Story beta was what happened 10 years ago. we had almost no information about the beta story, so it might be a good idea to use the beta info and make a prequel

Possibly there is already a definite story and I don't know it, but I wanted to publish my idea to see if it would be interesting

Jul 15, 2020 at 12:55 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well, you'd have to explain why Quote is so much darker in Cave Story Beta for one thing. But I suppose you could potentially build a prequel story around some of the rooms and atmosphere that we have from CS Beta, and make something interesting that ties into the main story. There's probably a lot of unexplored territory on the island over the course of the game, so theoretically the areas in Beta could be areas where the war between robots and Mimigas was fought on the island.

Jul 15, 2020 at 1:19 AM
War criminal
Tbh, there would be some inconsistencies between CS Beta and the war 10 years prior.

It feels weird knowing there would have to be two Mimigas with the same name from two different points in time (Suu and Sue), but that's the least of worries...
  • The many Puu soaps vs Balrog's robot-like appearance. (Puu Black does exist in both versions).
  • Momorin
  • Human Misery
  • Frog Kingdom (was planned to be in the final game, as well as the beta)
  • Miakid being the Demon Crown holder (there was no mention of a Demon Crown in the beta)
  • Curly Brace (Curly Brace and Curly Brace, my favorite robots)
  • Wind Fortress (also planned to be in the final game, alongside the beta)
  • Chie being in both the beta and the final game

Jul 15, 2020 at 7:00 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Seems more like a parallel world to me.
Always thought the best ending could have been evidence of such world bending mechanics in-game. Why does Booster die immediately if you recognize that he exists as near death, in critical condition. But if you ignore him, he shows up without a scratch. And without his survival, Quote doesn't recognize the existence of the hook used to save Curly. And doesn't receive that infodump on Ballos. Nor does he receive the mysterious information on how to save Curly from being flooded, and so on.

There's even that book or grimoire that Quote can use to turn back time a little, instead of facing hell in the best ending. And if you check that bookcase earlier, there are notes from Booster's work there. And there's the whole ending cutscene where Booster goes to visit Jenka despite no mention of them knowing of each other. It is all rather bizarre.

In reality, Cave Story Beta existed before Cave Story, and there is truth to that game world being a splintered reality of a shared fundamental world. Even if most everything is different though similar, perhaps there is a way to explain how Beta's world ended, becoming Cave Story. Beta characters ceased to exist, but perhaps there could be an explanation of what event splintered that world, ending it, leading to Cave Story and this could become a new story to be told. And perhaps there could be a way to save that lost world and move forward in Beta's as well as Cave Story's, as the end result.

Perhaps there could be a touch of reality if we know Pixel's reasoning, though I think it's a good idea to avoid breaking the 4th wall no more than Pixel did.

> A while back you released some beta screenshots of cave story.
> one of the pictures has Quote (Curly Brace), "Su", an unknown girl,
> and an old man with a lab coat. this leads me to this question:
> what was the original plot and who were they originally?

the unknown girl was Misery.
Curly Brace was made by the old man.
Su.. I forgot.​
PrtPhoto.png

Misery...?
What event could have changed their world so drastically?
Maybe Ballos' kingdom was never destroyed? No madness given flesh. No Demon Crown. No curse. No war of the flowers.
No magic?

In any case it's fun to imagine possibilities~

Jul 17, 2020 at 2:57 AM
"Huzzah!"
Seems more like a parallel world to me.
Always thought the best ending could have been evidence of such world bending mechanics in-game. Why does Booster die immediately if you recognize that he exists as near death, in critical condition. But if you ignore him, he shows up without a scratch. And without his survival, Quote doesn't recognize the existence of the hook used to save Curly. And doesn't receive that infodump on Ballos. Nor does he receive the mysterious information on how to save Curly from being flooded, and so on.

There's even that book or grimoire that Quote can use to turn back time a little, instead of facing hell in the best ending. And if you check that bookcase earlier, there are notes from Booster's work there. And there's the whole ending cutscene where Booster goes to visit Jenka despite no mention of them knowing of each other. It is all rather bizarre.

In reality, Cave Story Beta existed before Cave Story, and there is truth to that game world being a splintered reality of a shared fundamental world. Even if most everything is different though similar, perhaps there is a way to explain how Beta's world ended, becoming Cave Story. Beta characters ceased to exist, but perhaps there could be an explanation of what event splintered that world, ending it, leading to Cave Story and this could become a new story to be told. And perhaps there could be a way to save that lost world and move forward in Beta's as well as Cave Story's, as the end result.

Perhaps there could be a touch of reality if we know Pixel's reasoning, though I think it's a good idea to avoid breaking the 4th wall no more than Pixel did.

Misery...?
What event could have changed their world so drastically?
Maybe Ballos' kingdom was never destroyed? No madness given flesh. No Demon Crown. No curse. No war of the flowers.
No magic?

In any case it's fun to imagine possibilities~
I like where you're going with this.

Aug 9, 2021 at 4:47 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I believe Balrog was in the beta as the final boss as well. I think his name meant "king of the bars". Given the soap-design-theme of the Puu race this makes sense.

• Wind Fortress (also planned to be in the final game, alongside the beta)
Wind fortress is kinda difficult to judge, because the plot of that section was to save Curly from the cloning machine in the final (every clone made was killing her, Pixel thought it was too dark so it was removed), but the song used goes back to 2002 from before Curly as we know her existed.

Why does Booster die immediately if you recognize that he exists as near death, in critical condition. But if you ignore him, he shows up without a scratch.
Pixel rather vagely explained this. Booster's survival depended on the Booster 0.8. He effectively passed the torch and gave up on life.

Last edited: