Dec 16, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks for the positivity....

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
SSB has been mostly first party Nintendo characters, with the exceptions being high profile mainstream characters. If Nintendo does feature an indie character and it isn't Quote let us know and we'll get behind you. Oh and online petitions generally don't work. No-one takes them seriously. When time and money goes into every new character addition you are not going to pay attention to the 100+ "insert this character" petitions on the net.

You could contact Nintendo, find out if it is possible to fund a character, how much it would cost, and then offer to fund Quote's inclusion if you can afford it, if not then let us know how much it would cost, actually let us know the results regardless. They might take you more seriously then.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
On a note not relating to anything legal or money related, using Quote himself may be a bad idea. I mean, his name is a spoiler after all, and it's not like you can just have "???" the entire time you play the game. I feel it would be more sensible to use Curly as her name isn't actually a spoiler. Maybe she'd have to have a bit of changes (like giving her a booster) but hey whatever.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
andwhyisit said:
SSB has been mostly first party Nintendo characters, with the exceptions being high profile mainstream characters. If Nintendo does feature an indie character and it isn't Quote let us know and we'll get behind you. Oh and online petitions generally don't work. No-one takes them seriously. When time and money goes into every new character addition you are not going to pay attention to the 100+ "insert this character" petitions on the net.

You could contact Nintendo, find out if it is possible to fund a character, how much it would cost, and then offer to fund Quote's inclusion if you can afford it, if not then let us know how much it would cost, actually let us know the results regardless. They might take you more seriously then.
What do you mean take it seriously? Of course they have! Sakurai said that the Reggie petition could be considered if it reaches 100,000 signatures. Also, Nintendo has been supporting a lot of indie devs on the eShop lately so you never know.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
As much I highly doubt (but want) Quote to be in Smash bros, I still signed anyway.
I mean, 4 out of 6 of the official ports of Cave Story are on Nintendo consoles. But then again, Cave Story's but one game, not in any big franchise like every other character in Smash is. (except for Ice Climbers, but they're first-party). Quote wasn't even included in other games, like Super Meat Boy or Dust: An Elysisan Tale.
If he doesn't even make it into other Indie games like those, I'm very doubtful he'll be in a major release like Smash bros.

Oh well, if you do plan on making a statement to Nintendo, I'm always open for translator.

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:39 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Nadojin said:
As much I highly doubt (but want) Quote to be in Smash bros, I still signed anyway.
I mean, 4 out of 6 of the official ports of Cave Story are on Nintendo consoles. But then again, Cave Story's but one game, not in any big franchise like every other character in Smash is. (except for Ice Climbers, but they're first-party). Quote wasn't even included in other games, like Super Meat Boy or Dust: An Elysisan Tale.
If he doesn't even make it into other Indie games like those, I'm very doubtful he'll be in a major release like Smash bros.

Oh well, if you do plan on making a statement to Nintendo, I'm always open for translator.
just my opinion nadojin, but...
I really doubt your Japanese skills are up to par....
:)

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Based Member
Megaspark said:
On a note not relating to anything legal or money related, using Quote himself may be a bad idea. I mean, his name is a spoiler after all, and it's not like you can just have "???" the entire time you play the game. I feel it would be more sensible to use Curly as her name isn't actually a spoiler. Maybe she'd have to have a bit of changes (like giving her a booster) but hey whatever.
*Squawk*
Now that Cave Story has gone a bit more mainstream due to the official ports, Quote's name is about as much of a spoiler as the fact that Samus Aran is a girl. Also, if a character from a franchise were to be included in SSB, it would be counter-intuitive to do anyone other than the main character, unless they were doing more than one. So if they did any character from Cave Story, they'd definitely do Quote. But I'm with the others who believe that's not going to happen any time soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 17, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
A spoiler, by definition, has to reveal something about the plot/ending. Knowing the main character's name doesn't tell anything else other than the fact that people who don't haven't gotten there can actually refer to him as something.

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:08 AM
Professional Whatever
Quote's name is in line with Curly Brace's
She is a robot
The logical conclusion is that Quote is also a robot
Bam spoiler

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:13 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I'm not really with it though because I really don't see online petitions becoming successful. Your best bet is to contact them. Like when I was ten or so, I sent a letter to Nintendo asking why you couldn't play as Cream in Sonic Colors. They never actually replied but they did send me some stickers and a Cream The Rabbit poster! So I suggest contacting them. :3

I feel like it's possible. Just advocate.

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:32 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Wouldn't have contacting Sega or Sonic Team been...I dunno more effective? I mean, they're the ones who made Sonic Colors, so...
Now that I think about it Creme wild have been an interesting choice...

And I suggest you contact Sakurai, and preferably in both English and Japanese.
(However, as Sable said my Japanese isn't exactly 'up-to-par' with a native speaker's, so you might want to ask someone else)

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:12 AM
War criminal
jelani435 said:
What do you mean take it seriously? Of course they have! Sakurai said that the Reggie petition could be considered if it reaches 100,000 signatures. Also, Nintendo has been supporting a lot of indie devs on the eShop lately so you never know.
Reggie IS Nintendo.

Nintendo has been supporting many indie games because they're not complete assholes like Sony and Microsoft. That's why Quote, Shantae, Beck (Mighty No. 9), Patricia Wagon, and Captain Viridian to be in Smash Bros. because of their originality in a Nintendo console. But that doesn't mean that they'll be in as Sakurai stated that he won't be putting in just any third party character (please have Zero and Pac Man in SSB4 too).

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:22 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
TLincoln said:
...as Sakurai stated that he won't be putting in just any third party character
from what i've heard, there are two rules for a character to appear in SSB4:

1) The character MUST have had their first appearance in a video game
2) They must have had atleast ONE game on a Nintendo console.

Quote, infact, fits both of these rules, his first appearance was Cave Story and CS has had ports to Nintendo Consoles.
Quote himself has different aspects for each 'attack', as he has the Fireball, Polar Star, Blade, Nemesis, and what have you. I would think his final smash would be a level 3 Spur beam, so it may not be much of a problem for a moveset for him, and if Quote was just an assist trophy, he'd have a 50% of level 1 spur, 49% for level 2 and 1% for level 3. If stickers were to return, then he could be, well, a sticker. And a trophy.
Someone also stated that Quote hasn't been included in any other indie games, and I'd like to point out that he is atleast a DLC, thus technically playable character, for Bit Trip Runner 2, in the Good Friends pack.
Curly is also mentioned in Kid Icarus Uprising, as a "machine gun robot girlfriend."
I dunno, guys, Quote does have some pretty mediocre chances, though my best bet is trophy or assist trophy.

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:58 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Eh, I'll sign it just for kicks

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:54 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
to be quite honest, I think they should just have the option to make customizable characters in the new SSB.

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
MagicDoors said:
Quote's name is in line with Curly Brace's
She is a robot
The logical conclusion is that Quote is also a robot
Bam spoiler
But you learn that Quote is a robot in-game BEFORE Curly's first in-game appearance.

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:03 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
OREOOOOH said:
quote would be bad in ssb4 just because he wouldnt fit in. what would his noise be? he rarely talks... and most people don't even know who quote is :/
hey, they'll find something. besides, megaman, villager, lucas, and ness never had voices in their games, but sakurai gave them voices/will give megaman and the villager theirs!
besides, not many people know who ness or, specifically, lucas are (lucas was in the japan-only mother 3) or others might not know who pit or olimar or the other minor characters are, but they're still in the game! surely, if quote was to make it, sakurai would make sure he fits right in!