What if Quote were in Super Smash Bros?

Jul 13, 2011 at 1:40 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Re: Cave Story in Next SSB Possibility

There are a lot of more popular Nintendo characters that haven't been in a Super Smashed Brah game before. Characters that would be better suited to the genre.

Jul 13, 2011 at 1:54 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

Well, like I said in the 3DS thread, if ROB can get in than Quote probably could too. And he would have a varied moveset with all of his weapons, unlike Sonic.

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:21 AM

ROB was actually made by Nintendo and I'm guessing was put in for the retro factor (unlike the other characters, herpaderp). Cave Story is an independent game that is becoming less retro with every remake.

Jul 13, 2011 at 4:23 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

Yea..... never gonna happen.

SSB doesn't try to be too complex, that way it can sell to most amount of people.

Simple controls that apply to every character, unbalanced character strength, the character choice for each game and so on.
It's all mixed together to make Super Mario 64 type of game, that, to who is also familiar with this term knows that nothing bad can be said about it and the formula can be repeated till death do us part.

The only thing that can get Quote in SSB is fame, tons and tons of it.

Jul 13, 2011 at 4:40 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"

1) the way you typed that out made you sound like a total moron
2) SSB does have an easy to pick up style of gameplay, but it certainly is very solid and fun, and I wouldn't change anything about any of the movesets
3) just because a game is about a mashup of a bunch of characters fighting each other, doesn't mean it's going to inherently suck

but yeah you're probably right, a more popular character is much more likely to get in, however I think they're running out of room from actual "popular" nintendo titles right about now. This means that we're probably going to get more obscure characters from nintendo, and maybe even a few more 3rd party characters. among those, the rights to quote or curly would be a bit easier to get than say, megaman.

although there are still a bunch of issues with this that we talked about in the previous thread of the same topic.
like what the hell do we name him? his name is a spoiler.

Jul 13, 2011 at 4:48 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator

sexplosive said:
2) SSB does have an easy to pick up style of gameplay
I don't know at what it point it was decided that having 10 different button combos to memorise makes for a good 'party game' but it's pretty much only enjoyable if either everyone knows what they're doing or everyone has no idea of what they're doing

Jul 13, 2011 at 4:55 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"

true enough, but it's universal for each player, which makes it that much easier

after about 2 or 3 games it gets pretty easy
at least that was my experience

Jul 13, 2011 at 6:27 PM

sexplosive said:
1) the way you typed that out made you sound like a total moron
2) SSB does have an easy to pick up style of gameplay, but it certainly is very solid and fun, and I wouldn't change anything about any of the movesets
3) just because a game is about a mashup of a bunch of characters fighting each other, doesn't mean it's going to inherently suck

but yeah you're probably right, a more popular character is much more likely to get in, however I think they're running out of room from actual "popular" nintendo titles right about now. This means that we're probably going to get more obscure characters from nintendo, and maybe even a few more 3rd party characters. among those, the rights to quote or curly would be a bit easier to get than say, megaman.

although there are still a bunch of issues with this that we talked about in the previous thread of the same topic.

God this is so embarassing.
Sorry bout that, I admit my more cinical side took over between the first sentance to the last and just rambled off.

I'll refrain from that from future posts.

But despite what I said, SSB is by no means bad.

To me, it's a gimmick.

Not a bad gimick, I never said that. I love SSB, I have a lot of fun playing it with my friends.

I just find that by this point (a.k.a. Super SMash Bros.Brawl) on the series boils down to fanservice, that will wear off sooner or later unless they find more stuff to add.

And I'm afraid it might wear off before Quote has a chapter of his own in this series.

But I might be wrong, I'd be glad to discuss about this with you if you want or have anything else to add.

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:28 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."

sexplosive said:

They will name him Quote. By that point, many people will have played CS and know what his name is.

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:29 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Quote's name is about as much of a spoiler as the fact that Samus Aran is a girl.

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:40 PM

It's not quite there. Team Ninja has yet to remake Cave Story and show off Quote's... name... at every chance they get.

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:20 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever

Captain Fabulous said:
It's not quite there. Team Ninja has yet to remake Cave Story and show off Quote's... name... at every chance they get.

p168685-0-i7nvk.png

You have ruined my life.

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:23 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

"Okay quote, since you talked to that hermit dude again, you're now allowed to use the spur which has been in your back pocket the whole time."

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:26 PM

cultr1 said:
p168685-0-i7nvk.png

You have ruined my life.
My life is complete.
woot 6th

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:46 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Personally, I would love to see at least a little bit of Cave Story in the WiiU/3DS Smash Bros. I've been talking about it with my boyfriend since I got hooked on it, and he thinks it's pretty unlikely (as do I), unless a lot of attention comes to Sakurai about Cave Story, like with what happened with Sonic, or Pixel/Nicalis approaches him with the idea (like with Snake).

I could see Quote working out much better in Smash Bros. than some of the others that have been put in, namely Snake. I'd also love to see Balrog as an assist trophy. XD

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:01 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."

I suppose it all depends on how well Cave Story 3DS does. If it becomes a must have hit, then there's a good chance they'll consider it, "won't be too hard to squeeze him in considering that they haven't even started making the game yet".

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:16 AM
Absentee Modder
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"

Can anybody say, "Curly Brace assist trophy?"

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:28 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"

Arctic Shadow said:
Personally, I would love to see at least a little bit of Cave Story in the WiiU/3DS Smash Bros. I've been talking about it with my boyfriend since I got hooked on it, and he thinks it's pretty unlikely (as do I), unless a lot of attention comes to Sakurai about Cave Story, like with what happened with Sonic, or Pixel/Nicalis approaches him with the idea (like with Snake).

I could see Quote working out much better in Smash Bros. than some of the others that have been put in, namely Snake. I'd also love to see Balrog as an assist trophy. XD

But Snake was amazing!

Curly seems more likely as an assist trophy, but it'd be pretty hilarious if a giant Balrog just came crashing down onto the stage and made everyone go flying

Jul 14, 2011 at 3:04 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

WD said:
But Snake was amazing!

Curly seems more likely as an assist trophy, but it'd be pretty hilarious if a giant Balrog just came crashing down onto the stage and made everyone go flying
That's pretty much my whole idea of Balrog as an assist trophy! XD I agree that Curly would be a more likely candidate, though.

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Arctic Shadow said:
That's pretty much my whole idea of Balrog as an assist trophy! XD I agree that Curly would be a more likely candidate, though.

Wouldn't be bad if she were an alternate costume.

But how would you prefer him chibi or realistic?

I'd go for realistic, it just sounds cool and more dynamic.
He can still be cartoony despite being normal human size, unlike the 3DS Version where he's just chibi.