what happened to the colons?

May 9, 2013 at 2:57 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I think they were the ones in the balcony...

May 9, 2013 at 3:06 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Maybe they were taken to the plantation but escaped and went into hiding.

May 9, 2013 at 3:44 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
they fuckin' died

May 9, 2013 at 3:47 AM
Based Member
One of the greatest mysteries of Cave Story...

curlybrace22702 said:
I think they were the ones in the balcony...
Many have theorized that, and I actually even supported this theory in my fourth ending mod by having the four Mimigas on the Balcony not be there if you're going for the fourth ending, foreshadowing that they are revealed to still be alive in the end, only because Curly was able to put up a greater resistance towards Misery since she wasn't hurt from your battle with her, and the latter was worn out enough for the Colons to make a get-away. I kind of regret doing that though. One thing that contradicts that theory is that one of the Mimigas on the Balcony is bigger than the other three, so it seems like they would all go rabid to the same sizes if they were quadruplets. Of course, one could have been fed more flowers than the other three, but it just seems like the Doctor would have given them even dosages.

Curly Brace said:
Those children had better be safe!
Misery said:
Ha! Be silent! You're no mother!
While somewhat ambiguous, Misery's reply isn't promising. I, personally, think they were killed. There's really no sign of them after you get sent off, and their fates are among very few left ambiguous in the game. However, I believe that Jack and Kanpachi survived, but can I really prove that they did? No. In fact, the fact that Jack disappears from jail and is not shown in normal form almost suggests that he may have been one of the Mimigas on the Balcony. But for some reason I'm unwilling to believe that he dies. I can't prove the Colons' deaths any more than I can Jack and Kanpachi's survivals, but for some reason I make this unjust discrimination. Yet at the same time, I plan on making a mod that implies the Colons live even if the events of my fourth ending don't transpire...

Such a mess. The Colons' kidnapping is such an ambiguous mess.

May 10, 2013 at 4:27 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
They could've also been four of the six in the plantation jail 2.

May 10, 2013 at 5:13 AM
/end
They lived to breed another day.

May 10, 2013 at 5:38 AM
Based Member
curlybrace22702 said:
They could've also been four of the six in the plantation jail 2.
The Colons are only children, unlike all of the Mimigas in Jail No. 2 who are fully grown. I doubt they went through some immense growth spurt in a matter of hours that made them the size of fully grown Mimigas, that Pixel would be lazy enough for the Colons to assume NPCs identical to fully grown Mimigas, that they would not recognize you, or that, given their personalities shown in the Sand Zone, it would be characteristic of any of them to say any of the following, save possibly for number 2:
The Six Mimigas in the AGTP translation said:
1. What, are you a killer robot? You here to kill us?

2. Lemme out!

3. Doctor Dumb can go screw himself!

4. The Mimigas out there in the fields are being lied to! The Doctor's gonna make us fight the robots!

5. Do you know a "Sakamoto"? She's supposed to be hiding somewhere out in the plantation...

6. There used to be a couple humans in here too, but I haven't seen them around... Wonder if they got away.
The Six Mimiga in the NICALiS translation said:
1. Oh, you're a killer robot? You've come to kill us?

2. Let us outta here!

3. The Doctor can eat it!

4. The Mimiga working the farm are being tricked by the Doctor! He's planning on making us fight the killer robots from the surface!

5. Do you know a Sakamoto person? She should be hiding in the Plantation, somewhere...

6. There were a few humans in here as well, but I haven't seen them recently... I wonder if they escaped safely.

May 13, 2013 at 1:14 PM
They also could have died...

May 17, 2013 at 6:19 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I always assumed that they were the four Rabils on the Balcony, but that's just me. After you get warped to the Labyrinth there's no sign of them. Maybe a bit pessimistic for immediately assuming they didn't get a more positive fate, but that's just my 2 cents.

May 17, 2013 at 1:19 PM
OR MAYBE THEY GOT AMNESIA AND WERE 4 OF THE SHOVEL CREW MIMIGA'S! DUN DUN DUNNNN!

May 17, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Before someone shoots this down because "they're children", I'd like to point out the time spent unconscious in Prison #1. That could have been any amount of time. Quote spent ten years unconscious and woke up fine, and it likely would have taken the Doctor more than a couple hours to grow an entire plantation of flowers to full size. Even though the Red Flowers are "Demon Flowers", that shouldn't mean they should take that much shorter than regular flowers to grow to maturity. And who knows the lifespan of a mimiga? It could easily be short enough that growing to adulthood would take only a short amount of time. In short, dismissal of these Colon theories because of their age shouldn't be something that happens.

May 20, 2013 at 4:48 AM
You have a valid point but after you kill the doctor misery says "and to think, the new king was defeated by you."
She probably would not say the new king if the king wasn't new..

May 20, 2013 at 5:47 AM
Based Member
So I don't mean to be repetitive but I want this thread to be able to stand alone, so I'll address your post, Dunc, by first quoting one of my posts on a thread where a similar topic came up regarding how long Quote might have been unconscious in Jail No. 1.
HaydenStudios said:
The sprouting flowers is a good point, but you'd be really stretching it to say that it was really long. While the Red flowers probably took some time to bloom, throughout the whole time between your arrival at the Plantation and right before you take a nap while Momorin finishes the rocket, Professor Booster remains in his same spot at Arthur's house with no different dialogue, and all the Mimigas in the Rest Area remain in the same positions, save for Kanpachi who stays out fishing once you talk to him. You'd think some of that would have changed if the unconsciousness in Jail No. 1 were as substantial as you believe it is.
I also wish to point out that even supposing that Quote in fact was in Jail No. 1 for a sizable period of time, if Chie didn't grow up during that period, then the Colons wouldn't have.

May 26, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
See, this proves how dark Cave Story can actually be......

May 27, 2013 at 9:16 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I think they all went into hiding and would never be seen again. Or they were all brutally murdered. Someone should ask pixel what really did happen...

May 27, 2013 at 9:31 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
NheroArconix said:
Someone should ask pixel what really did happen...
no, no, no, no, no, no, no

May 28, 2013 at 5:58 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
That ruins all the fun :muscledoc:

May 28, 2013 at 7:56 AM
NEVER ASK PIXEL! NEVER I SAY! :sue: :balrog: :toroko2: :muscledoc: :momo: :koron:

May 29, 2013 at 2:34 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Sometimes I LIKE TO KNOW WHAT REALLY HAPPENED.
(but imagination is fun!)