Sep 26, 2017 at 7:59 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oh hey, people agree with me on that one major example of bad level design! :D

Sep 26, 2017 at 8:02 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Just remove the falling block generator via modding. Problem solved!
Where's the fun in that, I wouldn't feel proud of it, I'd want to do it legitimate, similar to how kids in in the 80s had to beat Ghost N' Goblins on the NES legit.

Sep 27, 2017 at 7:36 AM
CSE Discord Admin
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Where's the fun in that, I wouldn't feel proud of it, I'd want to do it legitimate, similar to how kids in in the 80s had to beat Ghost N' Goblins on the NES legit.

True, but Pixel could have made the pattern be the same everytime, that is to mean if you rush through the room, you have to dodge the blocks the same way (make RNG depend on your movement in that room, at the very least) everytime. Someone should make a mod like that. I would play it. And probably enjoy it

Also, I remember playing Ghostbusters (NES) back in the day. Even harder than Ghost N'Goblins and Cave Story Hard Mode. Just look at this : www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLVGmvmNitg

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:06 PM
lol
True, but Pixel could have made the pattern be the same everytime, that is to mean if you rush through the room, you have to dodge the blocks the same way (make RNG depend on your movement in that room, at the very least) everytime. Someone should make a mod like that. I would play it. And probably enjoy it

Also, I remember playing Ghostbusters (NES) back in the day. Even harder than Ghost N'Goblins and Cave Story Hard Mode. Just look at this : www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLVGmvmNitg
As the AVGN put it;
Ghost Busters NES was still in the pionerring ages of gaming where stuff like quality control was a novel concept and artificial difficulty like in Ghost N' Goblins was just the norm.

When Cave Story was being developed, we were well past those days. So I feel those rng blocks in B2 are fair in some sense. They're not artificial difficulty, it's not something to pad out the game, it's just another obstacle in a hard section which is fair.

Sep 27, 2017 at 7:59 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
As the AVGN put it;
Ghost Busters NES was still in the pionerring ages of gaming where stuff like quality control was a novel concept and artificial difficulty like in Ghost N' Goblins was just the norm.

When Cave Story was being developed, we were well past those days. So I feel those rng blocks in B2 are fair in some sense. They're not artificial difficulty, it's not something to pad out the game, it's just another obstacle in a hard section which is fair.

About Ghostbusters : The Master System version was WAY better (he explains that in part 2, after 7:00), which made me a LITTLE jealous of some of my friends at school. I never got past the FU***** stairs, unlike them.

About Cave Story : I don't think that the RNG are unfair to casual players, I believe they are unfair to speedrunners! Which means that getting the WR in a Hell run (or just a speedrun) depends a LOT on that section. I agree with zxin :
RNG in speedruns is essentially a massive fuck-you.
Also, the RNG blocks are the reason I stopped trying to speedrun Cave Story.

Sep 27, 2017 at 9:08 PM
lol
About Ghostbusters : The Master System version was WAY better (he explains that in part 2, after 7:00), which made me a LITTLE jealous of some of my friends at school. I never got past the FU***** stairs, unlike them.

About Cave Story : I don't think that the RNG are unfair to casual players, I believe they are unfair to speedrunners! Which means that getting the WR in a Hell run (or just a speedrun) depends a LOT on that section. I agree with zxin :

Also, the RNG blocks are the reason I stopped trying to speedrun Cave Story.

True, I feel to casuals, the blocks are really just an annoyance, and for speedrunners they're a stab to deal with. And while I'm not a speedrunner myself, at least you have a missile launcher and access to hp, hard mode at most gives you 8 which just doesn't cut it when everything does 3-10 damage in hell.

Sep 28, 2017 at 8:04 PM
lol
Another bad one is the falling blocks after the Undead Core, which also pose a similar threat to speedrunners.
True, if you get hit with below 10 hp, boom, back to the boss gauntlet! It's annoying as is even with 50 hp, I hate getting hit and then having a choice, do hell with 40 hp, or reset the boss gauntlet just for another chance to hope to not get hit.

Oct 9, 2017 at 5:19 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hahaha! I remember this vividly. I jumped and died on the first spike.

Took me a while to realize that I had to use the BOOSTER to move through. I didn't notice the small spikes that I could land on, and refresh the booster.

Then I figured out how to do it, and I could successfully get through the first room.

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:56 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I didn't notice the small spikes that I could land on, and refresh the booster.
I’m guessing you know now that you can go through the first boost without refreshing the booster

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 2:49 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I died 30 times on the falling block and didn't know about the heart trick so i used my life pot, got killed by heavy press's laser and about 40 attempts later i got to ballos with 5 hp and no life pot, got destroyed instantly.

Oct 9, 2018 at 11:02 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I initially thought that i had to use the machine gun to fly over the death spikes. I tried levelling it up using those exp capsules. It didn't work and it took me a while to realize i was doing it wrong.

Oct 11, 2018 at 4:10 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Died. A lot. I then decided to use cheats.

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:32 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Well, for starters, each run had me start at 32/50 because the bed was too lumpy.

The first room had me only die because I used to never conserve energy on my Booster.
The second room was just pitiful. Just boost to the right the whole time, problem solved.
The third room...just kill me already. First, I waste an enormous amount of time grinding the first two hearts to the right of the platform, where each mistake sets me back a hit point. Now go to the left and avoid being cru--
Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. press. press. press...
A'ight, I probably made it. Now to go to the other side.
Two words: fat angels. Jesus Christ, those fat angels. If you don't want to get hit, you gotta take 'em out, and they are shot sponges compared to the regular angels of which I can deal with.
After that are the landmines. Not too hard, just shoot them until the timer starts and OH GOD THE ANGELS
Right after that are more fat angels. Sure, you've got a hidey-hole, but escaping will damage you. So of course I get out at the only time where the arrows won't hurt me and kill all the McDonald's worshipers.
Then comes...the coliseum from Hell. Angel swarms on all sides, an instant death trap on the bottom, and barely any room to stand on. I grabbed the 100-missile container up at the top to save for Ballos's final phase and held the B-button down for a MAX Spur shot, multiple times each time. Once finished with the angels, I got ready for the second-to-last boss: the Heavy Press.
Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press. Press.
Though never for the crushing part, ironically. Heavy Press's boss fight involves lasers, invincible rolling balls from the bomb section, and angels. The problem is I can only focus on one thing at a time. Basically I have to fire as many shots as I can before the room fills up with angels.
But when I do it, I do it. Once the Heavy Press touched down, I was greeted with something that looked eerily...familiar. The breakfastless corridor from Plantation shows up again and this time you can destroy the statues for health, power, and missiles. I always went there before the fight with Ballos.
Then, it was time for Ballos. To be continued...

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 11:59 AM
The angels are the only reason i die on b2 more than anything else.

i thought they were fairies

Oct 11, 2018 at 9:10 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
A'ight, I'm back.
Look, a cute little doggy!
Please kill my master.
Doing so will remove the curse from this island.
My master's name is Ballos.

Um...okay?
So you go into the door on the right and you're brought into an interesting yellow room. Ballos is over at the right side past a few spikes, and his throne makes it look like he has horns on his head. (The first time I fought him, I thought the top of his throne was actually part of his anatomy.)
Ballos tells you why the island is falling and that he wants to die, yadayadayada, easy boss music starts.
And there's a reason why it's the easy boss music. On the first phase, Ballos is a wuss.
What he does is go in a circle as if he had the Booster 2.0. I also had the Booster 2.0 (which is required to get there), so that was easy. At around half health, he goes up in the air and shoots a couple of bones. Nothing I couldn't dodge.
Once the first phase is defeated, he jumps into the air, likely yells "LANDMASTER!", and BAM! Ballos rock. Then begins the second phase, the hardest of the four.
The music changes to the challenging boss music, which is definitely fitting. For one this phase offers a good challenge without being stupidly difficult. For two, it kinda reminds me of the first boss to use this music, Balfrog. Both use jumping as their main method of attack, both only have one weakspot (Balfrog's mouth, Ballos's eye), and they both shoot stuff when they stop bouncing. The main differences between this phase and Balfrog are a wider space, set intervals on when the boss stops, no fans, a damaging roof, the shots from the boss go everywhere, and it's always open to attack. My recommendation is to wait until it stops bouncing and to get in the eye and fire the Spur (MAX gets both eyes), but then you get hit by the weird green stuff on the roof. This is where I typically used the life pot.
Then comes the third phase. The music changes to Ballos's theme. The Ballos rock grows eyerocks and starts crawling on the walls. The objective is to close all the eyes. I switched to the Nemesis and started going at it like crazy. Easire than the second, harder than the first.
And finally, the fourth and final phase. No music changes, spikes grow on the floor, angels are coming for you, and Ballos has platforms and blood.
Four eyes are open, four eyes are closed. I switched to the missiles and shot the open eyes 'till they were destroyed. Then I went for the Ballos rock's real eyes. The angels will commonly push you off the moving platforms, so be ready for that if you're going for it. This was easier than the second, but harder than the third.
When I did it, though, I felt like I actually accomplished something. It felt great. The Ballos rock was destroyed, Ballos started complaining about the heat, the walls collapsed, and Balrog save me and Curly.

Then I realized I left the 290 Counter at the clock room.

Oct 11, 2018 at 9:18 PM
A'ight, I'm back.
Look, a cute little doggy!
Please kill my master.
Doing so will remove the curse from this island.
My master's name is Ballos.
you know you got yourself into deep shit when your dog wants you to die

Oct 11, 2018 at 9:20 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Contributing to spammy posting (off-topic, lack of content, etc)
you know you got yourself into deep (Please consider censoring yourself.) when your dog wants you to die
So true.

Oct 12, 2018 at 3:02 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
(Please consider censoring yourself.)
Time to fix some of the dialogue in Cave Story, then.
"Welcome to (Please consider censoring yourself.)!"
"Doctor Dumb can go (Please consider censoring yourself.)!"