What happened in your FIRST hell run ?

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:46 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I died 7 times in the first room (5 on that first jump. In. A. Row), then promptly took at least 50 tries to get to Heavy Press, died 3 times, then defeated him and died like an idiot crushed by him. 15 tries later, I got to Ballos, which took me about 500 tries to defeat.

Sep 21, 2017 at 6:02 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Mine wasn't too particularly memorable. It probably went the same way as most people's, where I died plenty of times and got slightly further each time. I believe I did the heart trick between B2 and B3 without knowing about it beforehand, so that was kinda cool I guess. My final time was probably like... around 15 minutes I think? lol.

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:17 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I died 7 times in the first room (5 on that first jump. In. A. Row), then promptly took at least 50 tries to get to Heavy Press, died 3 times, then defeated him and died like an idiot crushed by him. 15 tries later, I got to Ballos, which took me about 500 tries to defeat.
Funnily I defeated Ballos in just a couple tries, but died HUNDREDS of times in hell lol Didn't keep count. I do remember there was much frustration, and an incredible sense of accomplishment when I finally won x) Took at least a couple hours of raging and probably took a year off my life x) This was back when I used a keyboard to play... I've since come to learn the greatness of the controller.

EDIT: I think most of the deaths were due to damage in the random B2 room... and I didn't know about the heart trick, used my life pot afterwards ;_;

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 8:18 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I spent hours for almost a week trying to get past B2 without using a life pot. Got to Heavy press after god knows the amount of tries. Reached Ballos and when I lost his battle for the first time, I got so angry to do it all again I scrapped my pinky extremely bad. Picking up the pieces and trying again I spent another week barely defeating his final form with the good ol' scummy spam missiles in the eye trick. I can now defeat him with ease but I will never forget my time of 20 minutes and 3 seconds.

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:43 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
My first time beating hell, I remember dying like, at least a hundred times, i remember my thumbs growing callouses because of me playing the DSi port to begin with. I remember hell being easier when i played the Freeware version, because i'm so used to playing with a keyboard. I'm still pretty awful at beating the level, though.

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:00 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I died many many times inching slowly closer, using my life pot. It took me so many tries the time I did it successfully I didn't need the life pot...

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:24 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I had used the life pot during the core fight so it took me about 100 tries before I gave up and played the entire game again and saved the pot. After that, it took about 30 to get to ballos, and I killed him after 2/3 attempts. (I was reading a guide)

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:42 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
i died a bunch before getting to heavy press, but once i did it only took me like 2 more runs. it took me a lot longer to start getting decent times, but eventually i got the very satisfying time of 2:59.9

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:26 AM
lol
i died a bunch before getting to heavy press, but once i did it only took me like 2 more runs. it took me a lot longer to start getting decent times, but eventually i got the very satisfying time of 2:59.9
Damn 2.59.9, my best time is barely 3.21.7

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:04 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
B2 kept destroying me until one day I decided at the tail end of a bubbler-only run that if I made it to the end of B2 without full health then I should backtrack, heartspawn, and do B2 all over again until I got it right.

Kept dying at heavy press until I dropped 80% of the dodging and weaving and just blasted the shit out of him.

Got to Ballos 2nd form. Died because I forgot to use the life pot. This happened with a stupid degree of regularity.

I viewed numerous videos of hell runs. They didn't prepare me for 4th form without rockets.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 3:56 AM
lol
I swear, hardmode Ballos is almost impossible, it's ludicrous enough to reach him as is, but his 4th form is RELENTLESS! To this day I've never Ballos on hardmode, it's almost impossible.

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:11 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I swear, hardmode Ballos is almost impossible, it's ludicrous enough to reach him as is, but his 4th form is RELENTLESS! To this day I've never Ballos on hardmode, it's almost impossible.

i've gotta agree with you there, even with the bubbline to fend off all the small dudes there's too many projectiles and too few platforms at any time

Sep 23, 2017 at 6:37 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Ah yes, the memories are flooding back...

A cold winter's afternoon, 3DS in my hands. I'd spent the past day or so trying to beat the sacred grounds. I felt like I was going crazy. Until, somehow, I'd done it! I'd defeated Ballos. What a satisfying way to end a game, honestly.

Sep 24, 2017 at 8:08 PM
lol
Still haven't beaten hard mode hell:
p360514-0-leqeybb.jpg

My heart sank so much........

Sep 24, 2017 at 8:34 PM
"Huzzah!"
What happened in MY first hell run? I died, alot, thats what.

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:41 PM
lol
After trying on and off over the course of a couple of years I had finally beaten hell... with a time of 12 minutes.
Everyone's first attempt is usually 10+ minutes, who can blame then. Hell's hard enough, it takes patience and skill. Unless you're going for below 3 minutes like I did, then it's basically Star-Craft levels of planning and execution.

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:04 PM
Beakface
I watched tons of Hell speedruns, but turns out, trying to do a speed run of the game on my first try was not a particularly rewarding experience. Many attempts later, I managed to get the Curly menu screen. It was sweet victory.

The two parts that kept tripping me up the most were the room with the falling blocks and landing on the tip of Ballos’ eye. Who knew it was harder to land on there than anticipated? All those hard earned, leveled up missiles for nothing!

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:59 AM
lol
I watched tons of Hell speedruns, but turns out, trying to do a speed run of the game on my first try was not a particularly rewarding experience. Many attempts later, I managed to get the Curly menu screen. It was sweet victory.

The two parts that kept tripping me up the most were the room with the falling blocks and landing on the tip of Ballos’ eye. Who knew it was harder to land on there than anticipated? All those hard earned, leveled up missiles for nothing!
The goddamn B2 room is literal hell. Like if that room didn't exist the game would be much easier to finish.

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:34 AM
War criminal
The goddamn B2 room is literal hell. Like if that room didn't exist the game would be much easier to finish.
Just remove the falling block generator via modding. Problem solved!