What exactly IS the Surface?

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:41 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
"The surface world lies below the floating island. Many of the game's characters originate from the surface, for instance, the Doctor, Quote, Curly Brace, and Sue Sakamoto. Humans seem to gain control of the Surface, and research expeditions have been held to investigate the island above it."

Is what the wiki says but.... I want something a bit more concrete.
Ideas???

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:37 PM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I always thought it was just like, the game's "earth"
The regular world where all the normies and such are from, and it'd just be a planet like ours

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:50 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Yakkers said:
I always thought it was just like, the game's "earth"
The regular world where all the normies and such are from, and it'd just be a planet like ours
I predict that this is going to be the majority of answers.

Dec 25, 2013 at 1:37 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
SableArc said:
Is what the wiki says but.... I want something a bit more concrete.
Ideas???

I know that was concrete there...

but don't...don't mess with the wiki, It's so broken and filled with lies.

and yes, the surface is a parallel to earth.

Dec 25, 2013 at 3:22 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
The surface is the idea of human mind. The game doesnt show the surface at all except for a view of some trees. The only thing we are given to judge it by is the people from it and the things they've done. There's a lot of good and bad people from the surface that appear in the game. The few things that they say about the place that isn't metaphorical is that it is industrial, scientifically advanced, and has conflicts a seen in the existence of killing robots. I could say more by its christmas eve and people are yelling at me to visit them.

Dec 25, 2013 at 4:20 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

it's my butt

Dec 25, 2013 at 4:44 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Noxid said:

it's my butt

Nox, stop ruining the minds of twelve year olds.

And I'm sure that you've hit boredom to post something like...that.

Dec 25, 2013 at 4:46 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I've been cutting paper for basically 8 hours straight

Dec 25, 2013 at 7:15 AM
"Huzzah!"
Yeah, I just assumed that the surface was equivalent to the earth. I don't seem to recall any dialogue or anything that would really prove it is or isn't, but it's been a while since I've played through it, so I could easily be spacing.

Noxid said:

it's my butt

Now, does this make me or any others want the island not to fall even more, or do we now have a stronger desire for it to fall? This will require some deep thought before I come to a conclusion about how I feel... ... .. . .. oh my... oh no.... :muscledoc:

Dec 25, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
...wait, if it's that... oh god it could land there couldn't it

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Surface = everything that isn't flying or floating in the sky. It's the ground level of CS' world.

Dec 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Andwhy, I almost thought you were Sable, because your profile pictures look alike.
The Surface is Cave Story's equivalent to earth, or perhaps is earth in the distant future. I'd think that the ground below the trees would look somewhat similar to this image:
p177475-0-luzonpineforest.jpg
The Surface, in other words, is another world, where nothing is without flaws, similar to the world that we live in. Except in the Surface's case, the sense of corruption of much more apparent, and no one place is safe from danger.

Dec 26, 2013 at 4:19 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Like some guy already said, the surface is your mind - pure and full of harmony. And the Island is the ugly reality we all live in, where everyone bullies one another and fights for power. The crown is - whatever superficial goals people may have in their lives, whether it's a BMW 332 (1996) or a new house or whatever.

Then again you can switch it up and say that the Island is your mind that you need to escape from it to reach reality (The surface). And that would sound cooler. Maybe I'll make a mod some time that has a story like that. But not today, because it's 6 AM and I'm way past my bed time. Good night.

EDIT: Ignore the first part of this post god damn cave story has NOTHING to do with BMWs, and ESPECIALLY with BMW 332 because that one is strong as hell (I'm talking 3.2l and over 300kW of power)

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:57 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
The Surface is the surface.
(Of Cave Story's planet.)

I think that's really it. You can get all metaphorical if you want to, but I think that's as concrete as it gets...

Of course, you can also look into the little hints in the game of what it's like there and assemble your own thoughts. We have no idea of what the continents on the planet look like, or if it even has any seas. Maybe it's not even a planet at all. It seems to be divided into governments like ours, and those governments are all a tad corrupted, like ours. The Surface has some pretty darn fancy technological prowess, what with the teleporters and the energy guns and the doodads and other miscellaneous whatnots. I'm sure you can think of other things yourself.

Really, The Surface can be anything you want it to be. There's a lot we don't know.

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:28 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Well, if you look under the island you will see a vast forest.
That, and there is mention of "countries" of the surface.

Other than that, take Woodenrat's advice