What do you LIKE about cave story (like is the keyword) No spoilers to me

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:58 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Now lets start over okay my name is nate (obviously). So anyways what do you like about the game.

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:09 PM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Aug 15, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Banned
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
oh hi again i like everything about it especially the bunnys.

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
On topic: Fun and engaging gameplay was what drew me in. Every area has it's own distinct strategies, there are a multitude of weapons, there's an incentive to keep them leveled (taking damage is extra punishing)... basically, it's clever and unique. Challenging but not too hard, until hell/wind fortress anyway.

But mechanics/a fun game on it's own is just that. It's not something you think about after you put down the controller/walk away from the computer. What keeps me interested is the fact that the characters and story left an impression on me.

Off topic: There's no need to be passive-aggressive, and it's not going to get you very far. Really, you could have started a new thread without mentioning any of that and just clarifying you wanted to ask us to discuss what aspects we most enjoyed.

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:25 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
oh hi again i like everything about it especially the bunnys.

ya there pretty cool

Off topic: There's no need to be passive-aggressive, and it's not going to get you very far. Really, you could have started a new thread without mentioning any of that and just clarifying you wanted to ask us to discuss what aspects we most enjoyed.

sorry its just i dont like sarcasm. :)

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:58 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
No spoilers to you?

You mean you DIDN'T BEAT THE GAME???

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
no i had to start over

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:45 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
My favourite part about the game was the ending. I really enjoyed the cutscene with Sue and Quote falling in love and Curly finishing off Balrog once and for all.

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:13 PM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Aug 16, 2012 at 10:24 PM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
i liek the migmas

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:37 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
My favourite part about the game was the ending. I really enjoyed the cutscene with Sue and Quote falling in love and Curly finishing off Balrog once and for all.

Nope, no spoilers here!

--

I really like plantation, because it is laid out so that the level progresses upwards, and it is a pretty big level also. So this makes for some fun jumping.

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:38 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I just loved the monotonous fetch quests, getting killed by the doctor again and again on a 3hp run, and especially having to kill innocent Toroko every time I go through the game.

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:35 AM
WHAAAAT?! Are you saying you ENJOYED murdering poor Toroko...? You are a horrible person, and we weren't even testing for that... that's a Portal 2 reference.

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:07 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
WHAAAAT?! Are you saying you ENJOYED murdering poor Toroko...? You are a horrible person, and we weren't even testing for that... that's a Portal 2 reference.

Actually, those were all the things I didn't like about the game. The fetch quests should have tipped you off.
This was a triumph...

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:50 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
...Man, I just like Cave Story.
It's one of those things where I couldn't POSSIBLY list all my favorite aspects event if I could think of all of them.

Aug 18, 2012 at 2:18 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I can't really remember...

At first? The tasty graphics and astronaut-like physics. The graphics mostly. Yeah I'm a shallow person, also I was 11 back then. After a while though I developed nostalgia for it (which was, a year maybe). So now it's the music that astounds me.

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:21 AM
When I first got Cave Story I thought 'there is NO WAY that this game is gonna be my new favorite game' and the only reason I got it on DSi Ware for my 3DS was because it was rated five stars and it looked like it had Metroid-ish gameplay. (I just wish I knew the original version was free for PC...) So I started playing it and basically fell in love with it's music, characters, and gameplay. I also loved the unique pixelated art style. It's also the only game that ever made me physically cry. (I STILL MISS YOU FIRST PLAYTHROUGH CURLY BRACE! ;_; )

And it actually did turn out to be my new favorite game.

User was warned for double posting (GIRakaCHEEZER)

Aug 18, 2012 at 5:24 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
What do I like... Well...
The gameplay
The music
The story
The fact it was originally made by one person is pretty cool too.
Free as well.

If you want some specifics :
I've told this story before but ... I wasn't that interested in checking out Cave Story when I first saw it years ago. It looked uh... not that special? I mean I've grown to really love retro graphics once more, but my initial reaction was; I'll check it out sometime I guess? But, I was inspiried to check it out by SkyWelse back long ago, and WOW it was well worth the time I thought.

It starts out a little odd, which is alright. Because Cave Story threw unusual sights at me, one after the other... Who is Sue? Who are these rabbit-like creatures? What's the story? WHAT IS THAT?? [Balrog lol] Oh no Toroko!
And Cave Story kept throwing me enough my way where I kept going.
I wasn't sold on the game though until beating Sand Zone; where I was honestly shocked that Toroko died ;_; I think I even started the game over and tried to find a way to save her at that point... Eventually finding out that it was set in stone.
But, I continued and then I made sure I didn't let the same fate happen for Curly Brace when that went bad.

Before the serious turn of events, I wasn't paying too much attention to my happy-go-lucky experience... But after that, I was determined to finish the game the best I could~
And oh boy the boss battles were a good challenge :D It took me a few hours before I finally beat Ballos, but I still remember that sense of accomplishment!
Although I was disappointed by the Best Ending, I still was satisfied that I had played a great game; especially if it was just one person's work of art!

So in my case : story > gameplay > music
but those three components were great.

I didnt' really mention the art, but I liked it. It didn't amaze me so much at the time; but I didn't have any complaints. Loved the portraits :D

A very good game in the platforming action adventure? genre. Classic~
Who knew it would be so successful for a free game D:

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:39 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
the first five characters you meet.(besides the guy who fishes)
1qoute
2misery
3balrog
4king
5toroko

i like them.

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Pirate Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Music, and the fact I grew with the nes.