• Most people probably don't realise this, but this forum has had two editors for a number of years. One is the xenForo default editor, and the other is a custom editor I made years back I called BBCEd.

All the settings for which editor you use was lost during the upgrade. You can find the setting under Account Settings > Preferences > Editor.

• I've had it made known to me that for about a week now people haven't been able to finish registering or receive email notifications. I can imagine how frustrating this must have been, particulary for our newest members. Unfortunately our site owner is away at the moment and he most likely won't be able to do anything about it for another week or so. Until then, anyone who wants their account manually verified can contact me via their method of preference and I'll sort it for them myself. Thanks to everyone for their patience regarding this issue. -DoubleThink

• Emails should hopefully be fixed, please let us know if they're working properly now.

What do you LIKE about cave story (like is the keyword) No spoilers to me

Old topic!
The last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.
Aug 15, 2012 at 4:58 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Now lets start over okay my name is nate (obviously). So anyways what do you like about the game.

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:09 PM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Um.

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Banned
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
oh hi again i like everything about it especially the bunnys.

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
On topic: Fun and engaging gameplay was what drew me in. Every area has it's own distinct strategies, there are a multitude of weapons, there's an incentive to keep them leveled (taking damage is extra punishing)... basically, it's clever and unique. Challenging but not too hard, until hell/wind fortress anyway.

But mechanics/a fun game on it's own is just that. It's not something you think about after you put down the controller/walk away from the computer. What keeps me interested is the fact that the characters and story left an impression on me.

Off topic: There's no need to be passive-aggressive, and it's not going to get you very far. Really, you could have started a new thread without mentioning any of that and just clarifying you wanted to ask us to discuss what aspects we most enjoyed.

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:25 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
oh hi again i like everything about it especially the bunnys.

ya there pretty cool

Off topic: There's no need to be passive-aggressive, and it's not going to get you very far. Really, you could have started a new thread without mentioning any of that and just clarifying you wanted to ask us to discuss what aspects we most enjoyed.

sorry its just i dont like sarcasm. :)

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:58 PM
going down
"..."
No spoilers to you?

You mean you DIDN'T BEAT THE GAME???

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
no i had to start over

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:45 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
My favourite part about the game was the ending. I really enjoyed the cutscene with Sue and Quote falling in love and Curly finishing off Balrog once and for all.

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:13 PM
bored to death
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
What?

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:24 PM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
i liek the migmas

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:37 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
My favourite part about the game was the ending. I really enjoyed the cutscene with Sue and Quote falling in love and Curly finishing off Balrog once and for all.
Nope, no spoilers here!

--

I really like plantation, because it is laid out so that the level progresses upwards, and it is a pretty big level also. So this makes for some fun jumping.

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:38 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I just loved the monotonous fetch quests, getting killed by the doctor again and again on a 3hp run, and especially having to kill innocent Toroko every time I go through the game.

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:35 AM
WHAAAAT?! Are you saying you ENJOYED murdering poor Toroko...? You are a horrible person, and we weren't even testing for that... that's a Portal 2 reference.

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:07 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
WHAAAAT?! Are you saying you ENJOYED murdering poor Toroko...? You are a horrible person, and we weren't even testing for that... that's a Portal 2 reference.
Actually, those were all the things I didn't like about the game. The fetch quests should have tipped you off.
This was a triumph...

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:50 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
...Man, I just like Cave Story.
It's one of those things where I couldn't POSSIBLY list all my favorite aspects event if I could think of all of them.

Aug 18, 2012 at 2:18 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I can't really remember...

At first? The tasty graphics and astronaut-like physics. The graphics mostly. Yeah I'm a shallow person, also I was 11 back then. After a while though I developed nostalgia for it (which was, a year maybe). So now it's the music that astounds me.

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:21 AM
When I first got Cave Story I thought 'there is NO WAY that this game is gonna be my new favorite game' and the only reason I got it on DSi Ware for my 3DS was because it was rated five stars and it looked like it had Metroid-ish gameplay. (I just wish I knew the original version was free for PC...) So I started playing it and basically fell in love with it's music, characters, and gameplay. I also loved the unique pixelated art style. It's also the only game that ever made me physically cry. (I STILL MISS YOU FIRST PLAYTHROUGH CURLY BRACE! ;_; )

And it actually did turn out to be my new favorite game.

User was warned for double posting (GIRakaCHEEZER)

Aug 18, 2012 at 5:24 AM
gigantic immortal dog...?
"That dog!"
What do I like... Well...
The gameplay
The music
The story
The fact it was originally made by one person is pretty cool too.
Free as well.

If you want some specifics :
I've told this story before but ... I wasn't that interested in checking out Cave Story when I first saw it years ago. It looked uh... not that special? I mean I've grown to really love retro graphics once more, but my initial reaction was; I'll check it out sometime I guess? But, I was inspiried to check it out by SkyWelse back long ago, and WOW it was well worth the time I thought.

It starts out a little odd, which is alright. Because Cave Story threw unusual sights at me, one after the other... Who is Sue? Who are these rabbit-like creatures? What's the story? WHAT IS THAT?? [Balrog lol] Oh no Toroko!
And Cave Story kept throwing me enough my way where I kept going.
I wasn't sold on the game though until beating Sand Zone; where I was honestly shocked that Toroko died ;_; I think I even started the game over and tried to find a way to save her at that point... Eventually finding out that it was set in stone.
But, I continued and then I made sure I didn't let the same fate happen for Curly Brace when that went bad.

Before the serious turn of events, I wasn't paying too much attention to my happy-go-lucky experience... But after that, I was determined to finish the game the best I could~
And oh boy the boss battles were a good challenge :D It took me a few hours before I finally beat Ballos, but I still remember that sense of accomplishment!
Although I was disappointed by the Best Ending, I still was satisfied that I had played a great game; especially if it was just one person's work of art!

So in my case : story > gameplay > music
but those three components were great.

I didnt' really mention the art, but I liked it. It didn't amaze me so much at the time; but I didn't have any complaints. Loved the portraits :D

A very good game in the platforming action adventure? genre. Classic~
Who knew it would be so successful for a free game D:

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:39 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
the first five characters you meet.(besides the guy who fishes)
1qoute
2misery
3balrog
4king
5toroko

i like them.

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Pirate Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Music, and the fact I grew with the nes.