What did you get for Christmas?

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:30 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Jan 15, 2016 at 2:46 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
I got a set of Transformers that combine to make a giant one, a drawing pad, new mouse, and some steam moo-la. I proceeded to buy Starbound and Transformers Fall of Cybertron. I also got a pretty cool Twilight Princess styled Master Sword.
Fall of Cybertron is a glorious game. Its really underrated.

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:06 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I agree. I love the concept of transformation in warfare.

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:26 AM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Welp, I guess its time to revive this thread.

- A nice winter hat

- A Mario T-Shirt

- A Google Cardboard VR Headset

- A Tim Hortons Giftcard

- Overwatch (Digital Copy)

Overall, I'm pretty happy with what I got.

Dec 26, 2016 at 6:10 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I had a nice christmas this year. I got the following gifts:

- a bunch of clothes
- chocolate and biscuits
- a Ratchet & Clank game for PS3
- the chance to see my cat beat up a small dog
- a tiny RC drone quadcopter thing which is surprisingly fun to zip around the house
- a National Geographic Kids! book about animal myths
- The Talos Principle (!??)
- and a threat from my younger brother of something coming in the mail

all in all it was fairly quiet here and nothing bad happened so I'm quite satisfied

Dec 26, 2016 at 6:58 AM
War criminal
I got a $20 Steam card and some pajama pants. Now I get to play OneShot while staying comfy! ^w^

Dec 26, 2016 at 1:46 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I got
A slinkie
3 books
A jar of jubes
3 massive lego technic sets
And some magnets i requested (to test a prototype hoverboard)
But next time, i'd like some magnets that break less easily, as these ones practically break when you look at them

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:07 PM
2dbro
Since I'm in a not-so rich family, I got a GeForce GTX 750 ti and clothes.

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:38 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
I ended up getting:
- a stocking full of mixed goodies that I can't eat yet.
- some new long-sleeve shirts.
- some new sweatpants.
- $50.
- $20 Gamestop card.
- promise of an Ori and the Blind Forest t-shirt and Eevee plushie coming in the mail.

My brothers and I also collectively got Pokken Tournament and Minecraft: Wii U Edition. Latter may be inherently inferior to the PC version, but it has its own charm in being able to play with my brothers on the same screen.

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:40 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I had a lovely Christmas Eve, filled with family (but not overwhelmingly so), cleaning up for said family (but not overwhelmingly so), and also tacos and tamales (an overwhelming amount we’ll never finish). I broke even in Mexican bingo, too! :3

I gained the following physicalities:
★A $70 Steam Gift Card because my secret Santa is an utter madman. Enough to feed any possible gaming wants for at least the next two years, if I were to spend it carefully and all on myself (I probably won’t).
★A Very Nicely Textured Sweater. Might keep it, might exchange it! It isn’t pretty but it feels kinda nice, so we’ll see.
★A Very Nicely Patterned Shirt. Definitely keeping it, it’s a nice plaid red. -w-
★An iHome. Interesting and probably expensive, but I’m not sure how much I’ll actually use it, to be honest! I may look into giving or selling it.
★A Chicago Bulls backpack! Given from someone who doesn’t know me well. My current backpack is great, still going strong, so I’ll definitely be giving this to someone else.
★Lots of hugs and Infinite Food. A great blessing to my simpler tastes. -w-
★A super pleasant, long conversation courtesy of @Hina . c:
★One Way Heroics! Thanks again @X-Calibar ! :debug:

Christmas Day brought another nice gathering and How the Grinch Stole Christmas over hot chocolate, which I enjoyed more than I thought I would. Today, a warm day and a visit to an upscale Mexican restaurant in Chicago, complete with a successful karaoke attempt - one of the best Christmases in quite a while~

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:12 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
what exactly is an iHome? ive never heard of such a thing but it's not like I keep up on the latest trendy slag that apple produces.

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:09 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
20161225_224250.jpg

all that matters

oh and also a new headset and pokemon moon

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:05 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
i got clothes, 100 dollars, and a game i already own

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:26 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
what exactly is an iHome? ive never heard of such a thing but it's not like I keep up on the latest trendy slag that apple produces.
It looks like it's 3rd party, surprisingly. This one appears to be an Apple-specific Bluetooth speaker, I'm guessing with support for louder alarms and such. Some iHome products are charging stations and the like (or for Android :confused:), this one seems to look neat and change color to the music. Fun! But again, not really my style.
Edit: Although it does seem to work with Bluetooth stuff in general, so that's actually more handy than I first thought if not something I'll use often.

I forgot to mention, I was also given a shower set (it's not a statement as three others were given the same set :toroko:), a hand stapler and a surprisingly decent looking hat. Practical, good stuff!

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2016 at 5:48 PM
Professional Whatever
$50 steam card (used it to buy witcher 3), pokemoon, a bitchin' wind waker mug, a naruto shirt cause my sister told my family i was into that, and tons of chocolate. Plus I got to spend time with both sides of my family so that was really great.

Dec 27, 2016 at 11:46 PM
Perpetually out of it
Overwatch for Xbox One.
Slight problem is I don't own an Xbox and don't have any plans to get one.
Hopefully, if the relative who gave it to me can find the receipt, I can exchange it for the PC version.
Biggest gift was an AT2020 Mic, I'm gonna love using this so much.

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:44 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Never got around to posting earlier, it's not too late though!

First and foremost, health and family. That made the Xmas holiday!

As for getting gifts, it was a pretty utilitarian Christmas :
Got a nice shirt, and a comfy one~
A new shower head.
A "traveller's manicure" set? (trying to tell me to clip my nails better?? Not sure what to do with some of these things... D:)
Headset protectors for loud noise, like mowing. (really for everyone lol)
Bright mini-rechargable flashlight for the car with adapter and some tie down things.
A dark chocolate orange... (amazing)
A bag of dark chocolate blueberry filling squares.
A small bag of pistachios.
A little spending money!

And Final Fantasy XIII - Lightning Returns (Thanks Polaris!!)

...As for buying myself something...
Well got sucked into Google Play's offers and ended up buying "Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?"
3 manga and 1 light novel... ($30 - $26 = $4) Great deal! Except... Now I have to complete the series someday?! Need to wait for another deal...

While not really for Xmas, near the end of November I broke down and spent $50 on a phone game... Galaxy Legend. A friend teased me into spending, not realizing I would actually do it xD (It was the last 2 minutes of the sale... lol) Guilty use of money x)

And finally the huge gift that'll set me back for a while...
A new pair of Sennheiser HD 650 headphones! (reference class!)
...And a very special Schiit for Christmas. Limited edition black!!

Yes, that is our name. Shih-tah. It's a proud German name, host to a long line of audio engineers who slaved away in crumbling Teutonic fortresses as lightning lashed the dark lands outside, working to perfect the best amplification devices in the world...

Or, well, no. Yep, Schiit is our name, and it's pronounced, well, like "hey man, that's some really good Schiit!" And now that we have your attention...
Sorry, hard to avoid the company joke lol. (Despite the pun, they are very good...)
What I got was a headphone amp and a DAC from the company Schiit.
The Jotunheim and the Modi 2 Multibit.

... Now the big question.
Was it worth spending a saved up $1k~ on headphones and related accessories... D:

Yeah. I think so. I mean sure I could just use iphone ear buds and call it a day... Or spend that money on nice speakers for everyone. But, instead I got a desktop setup that will be primarily used by me...
Crazy, yes I agree. I almost went for VR instead with the HTC Vive. But, think of it like this:

Let's say everyone is used to watching youtube at 640x480. It's fine. You can watch just fine.
But spending about 200-300 gets you 1080p HD youtube. It's slick. You see a lot more detail that was fuzzy before.
But HEY why stop there. Let's go crazy and spend $1k~... and now we can watch 4K videos on youtube.
Maybe we were fine with watching videos on the phone, but we longed for the big screen that looks almost real.

And that's basically what I think of these. It just... sounds better. Instruments sound oh so detailed. Bass and impact are there. Also there is a width and depth from where the instruments are being played that I didn't have with my Sennheiser Momentum's. Instead of mashing everything together, you could attempt to close your eyes and point out exactly where the musician might be. Oh, and these are my first open-ear headphones btw. Liking the open style, although now I hear the PC fans clearly...

Anyway, I don't want to overhype it, because while it *is* very good, it's not perfect. (Then again, I see people get crazy and have many pairs of headphones and amps/DACs to achieve just the sound they want depending on the occasion...) But I can turn up the volume without any noise floor and hear the slightest of details (gotta be careful, at least with TVs, you won't lose your vision by turning up the brightness... lol) But, this is a price level that I feel is still plausibly acceptable. It can go way up from here... (The next big step up could be about... $4k~$5k!) And to get a comparable speaker system... will likely cost off the charts!)

Don't think I noticed a difference with Cave Story's music, but Axiom Verge is incredible. Listening to Star Wars or Jurassic Park is tear worthy. Pop artists are hit or miss... But everything is just a lot clearer. I'm already used to it X_X

Hearing doesn't get better over time (not yet anyway...), might as well enjoy it while I can hear more of the spectrum than I will later on~ Just gotta take it in moderation ;)

Last edited: