What anti virus do you use?

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:42 AM
"Huzzah!"
I've used Norton, Mcafee, Avg and Avast.
Norton and Mcafee sucked.
I can't remember what Avg was like.
Avast was pretty good but my computer has problems with it...

Dec 22, 2014 at 4:04 AM
Serri Online
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I used to use Norton but it sucked. I had Webroot on my old laptop, which is significantly better. Currently I use Avast because it's free. And apparently, my community college uses it.

Dec 22, 2014 at 4:09 AM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Protection Service
or whatever
fight me losers I own the best anti-virus

Dec 22, 2014 at 4:14 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
I use:

COMODO firewall:

Malwarebytes (free version)

Avast! Antivirus (I always have this turned off, I just turn it on to run scans because every time I open an .exe it /needs/ to scan it, and it lock up CS in fullscreen when combined with Comodo)

And I don't ever have issues with my PC. ^^

Dec 22, 2014 at 4:21 AM
"Huzzah!"
BLink said:
I use:

COMODO firewall:

Malwarebytes (free version)

Avast! Antivirus (I always have this turned off, I just turn it on to run scans because every time I open an .exe it /needs/ to scan it, and it lock up CS in fullscreen when combined with Comodo)

And I don't ever have issues with my PC. ^^
Well I'm always having problems with my computer. If it's not the computer just being slow, it's something else.
I'm actually currently just using avast and malware bytes. :/
The only reason I even bring this up because I actually have a virus right now and I think it's from downloading a cs mod from here. I currently have an avast scan running and it's detected parts of the virus but it's still there. I can tell. There's weird processes running and start again after I shut them down.

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:37 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
It's important to have a firewall, as it keeps bad stuff from getting inside in the first place. (windows built in one doesn't count, get rid of that)

I like COMODDO because it prevents the registry from being modified, executables being executed by untrusted programs, and I can disconnect from the internet with a click of a button.
It is a little annoying the first week, telling it what programs are trustable, (like your web browser, steam, minecraft, ect ect ect) but after that it's pretty smooth sailing, at least it's better than a virus.

but yeah install what I listed and scan your PC with them and see what comes up.

To help with your virus issues:

1. Look at your task manager, and see if you have any processes running that shouldn't be. [hint Virus.exe won't be listed in bold red for you]
2. Get some anti-virus, anti-worm, anti-malware/addware, programs like I said above. (and run them!)
3. Uninstall unnecessary programs. (just go under programs and features to remove that old program your aunt put on their 5 years ago to open a .pdf file)
4. Defrag your drive. (try auslogic's disk derangementer, defragging doesn't have to do directly with viruses, but it can make your PC run faster.)

I would go more into detail on the "whys and how's" but I'm rather tired at this hour..
Also it's a good idea to not download the extra stuff provided by installers.

If everybody would take a 6 hour class on how to maintain a PC, the world would be better off...

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:49 AM
"Huzzah!"
BLink said:
It's important to have a firewall, as it keeps bad stuff from getting inside in the first place. (windows built in one doesn't count, get rid of that)

I like COMODDO because it prevents the registry from being modified, executables being executed by untrusted programs, and I can disconnect from the internet with a click of a button.
It is a little annoying the first week, telling it what programs are trustable, (like your web browser, steam, minecraft, ect ect ect) but after that it's pretty smooth sailing, at least it's better than a virus.

but yeah install what I listed and scan your PC with them and see what comes up.

To help with your virus issues:

1. Look at your task manager, and see if you have any processes running that shouldn't be. [hint Virus.exe won't be listed in bold red for you]
2. Get some anti-virus, anti-worm, anti-malware/addware, programs like I said above. (and run them!)
3. Uninstall unnecessary programs. (just go under programs and features to remove that old program your aunt put on their 5 years ago to open a .pdf file)
4. Defrag your drive. (try auslogic's disk derangementer, defragging doesn't have to do directly with viruses, but it can make your PC run faster.)

I would go more into detail on the "whys and how's" but I'm rather tired at this hour..
Also it's a good idea to not download the extra stuff provided by installers.

If everybody would take a 6 hour class on how to maintain a PC, the world would be better off...
Well I've done 1, 3, 4 (windows defragmenter though). I've kind of done 2 but I usually forget to get a firewall, which is really stupid. Also the internet connection really sucks where I am (because alot of people use it, it's unsecured) which makes it hard to download anti virus/anti malware/firewall etc.

Dec 22, 2014 at 6:00 AM
"Huzzah!"
Randolf said:
McAfee is really good, but it's kinda a memory hog. But still, detects & cleans everything that needs to be cleaned.
Well maybe it's because I had it years ago and it was just "internet security" and not the full package.

Dec 22, 2014 at 6:45 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
I just use windows securety essencials, it hasn't let me down. Except when I made the stupid mistake of having multiple anti viruses on my laptop

Dec 22, 2014 at 7:05 AM
"Huzzah!"
Well it's all good now... Avast finished it's scan and found 9 things.
I think my computer doesn't have a fast enough processor. After all, my computer is a 3 year old laptop that wasn't expensive.

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:05 AM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
I used to have the ESET Nod32 antivirus (is that how it's spelled??) and I now have Avast on my laptop. Obviously, it came with mcafee bloatware, and I removed it immediately. Mcafee is for the Fox News grammas of the world (or at least mine...)

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:30 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Premium)

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:56 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I use Linux instead of Windows. That's pretty much its own malware protection because (from what I found in one Google search) Windows has about 60,000 viruses, while Linux has about 40 (not a typo). You can still get antivirus software for Linux, but it's not likely that you'll get a virus.

On a Windows computer, I just use the built-in antivirus. Probably a horrible mistake, but I don't care.

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:53 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I just use AVG Anti Virus Free. Gets the job done.

Dec 22, 2014 at 4:25 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Kaspercy is for me. I probably botched that. Why do you need to know this?

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:43 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Personally, I don't use any anti-virus programs, I just block pop-ups and some adds, for a couple reasons.
1. The PC I used has a anti-virus program that straight-up deleted CS+ without my consent.
2. I currently have a Mac, and they usually don't get viruses.
3. The Mac I have is old and outdated (Mac OS X 10.3.9 Dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC [yes, before Intel] G5 [2004]), so no one would want to hack it anyway.
4. Even if I had a Windows, which I'm planning to get, I wouldn't get any anti-virus software anyway for risk and trouble that it would block or delete something I wanted, like CS+ or Minecraft, or VNES.

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:59 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
I usually use Microsoft Security Essentials and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
I used AVG 2 years ago, but ever since it blocked my AMD Control panel from working, I uninstalled it. Nowadays, I use Nvidia cards, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Best thing to do is to get an adblock, and if you use Firefox, NoScript. It has always worked for me.

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:27 AM
"Huzzah!"
knuckles5577 said:
Well it's all good now... Avast finished it's scan and found 9 things.
I think my computer doesn't have a fast enough processor. After all, my computer is a 3 year old laptop that wasn't expensive.
Actually, I'm wrong, it's still here. It just stopped for a while. My computer is starting to act even weirder. (things sort of move on their own, the processes still pop up, and I'm having problems download things...) So.... I'll probably not be able to come on this forum soon. (because my computer might finally break.) :(