What abilities do the Demon Crown give the wearer?

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:47 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
What do you define a man who can not die except through a specific circumstance? Likely you would still use "immortal" as the term.

You define immortality to be whatever you want, since there is no "studied" cases of it to base it on.

Apr 19, 2015 at 5:15 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
EnlightenedOne said:
What do you define a man who can not die except through a specific circumstance?
in the case of the doctor I would say he is non-aging
EnlightenedOne said:
What do you define a man who can not die except through a specific circumstance?
in the case of the doctor I would say he is non-aging/unaging.

I came up with a new possible ability: influence over the Drolls.

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:27 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
TheDoctor said:
What proof is there that the red flowers have the same source? They could be just some normal red flowers that have some sort of chemicals...
To reiterate another theory, the Core stops Ballos from making the island fall rather than makes the island float.

Core + Ballos + Island = Float
Ballos + Island = Fall
Island = Float

The island floats naturally. The core clearly suppresses Ballos' ability to make the island fall, which he would do in order to break apart his prison.

Now if we surmise from this that the core suppresses Ballos' control over his magic, and that once regained the magic would be drawn away from other sources it makes perfect sense that if the Core's destruction stopped the effects of the red flowers (and killed the Doctor in his red crystal fueled immaterial form) that Ballos might be the source of their power. Not to mention the crown controls red flowers, which would make sense since the crown would exist to control the power of Ballos. Not to mention that the red flowers promote madness, which is at the core of Ballos' magic.

Now I don't imagine that there is any intent behind the flowers. Ballos' magic is a corrupting influence.

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:05 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
OFFTOPIC, a bunch of random theories:

@andwhyisit
I agree with most everything though,
"The island floats naturally."

To go into more detail, like my old theory, I like to think all those little cores have the ability to become a full fledged Core over time. Though, maybe there is only one dominant "queen" at once?
Or maybe that single Core was the only one that was specifically setup to receive all of that wild magic.
My point being, I think the remaining little Cores were able to support the island once Ballos was defeated even without the central Core.

Of course, that's just a theory... But, there sure were a LOT of those little core shaped things floating around...
p195454-0-wdoukutsucore.gif

and the character dialogue tends to support the possibility:
<PRI<MSGHave you ever seen the outside of
this island?<NOD<CLRThis island is floating high in
the skies.<NOD
As to how it manages to float...<NOD
That secret lies within this
maze.<NOD<END

this island floats in the
sky by the power of a
certain organism,<NOD
and I've recently
discovered its location.<NOD<CLRThis labyrinth.<NOD<CLRThe organism lives
somewhere within this
very labyrinth.<NOD
If one could destroy it,
the island would cease
to function.<NOD<CLR*chuckle*<NOD<CLRThe doctor must really
be in a rush,<NOD
to send you into the
very heart of this
island.

<FAC0019What?<NOD<CLR<FAC0016Hmph. This is what I
hate about robots.<NOD<CLRThis is the heart of the
island!<NOD<CLRIf you stop it, the island
will fall to the earth!<NOD<CLRIs that your grand plan?<NOD<CLRTo take the island down
with you in a blaze of
glory?!
(These quotes are from the PC translation though)

Though reading again, it could be like andwhyisit says, maybe the Core doesn't actually make it float, but maybe it is more like the heart of the island as they call it. What if magic occurs naturally, or something on the island besides Ballos is generating magic. And Ballos is simply like a virus that infects that neutral magical energy into destructive negative/wild magic. And like a whirlpool, Ballos just wrecks havoc around him by infecting the magic.
And if that's the case, and the Core is more like the heart of the island. Maybe it processes the magic, mostly neutralizing his power? Which might mean, if Ballos isn't producing great amounts of magic, then... hmm...

Thinking back to the dog's dialog,
...The only way to avoid a
repetition of this tragedy.<NOD<CLRMy master's name is Ballos.<NOD<CLRHis magic powers have gone wild,
and now he cannot even die...
Hmmm... is he like a nuclear reactor, producing incredible magic? Or is he like a virus, infecting the magic that naturally exists? Or maybe like a factory running out of control with no off switch? Or is something else controlling him, like being possessed (or was at a point, corrupting him) by some evil spirit?

What does the Core do... does it purify the magic coming from Ballos, or does it draw in the naturally occuring magic, preventing Ballos from having enough magic to work with besides keeping him alive.
What does the seal chamber do? Does it block his magic? Or just prevent him from escaping? It's obviously ineffective while the Core is gone... Though, he didn't escape physically. So ...

And the seal chamber is most likely Jenka's work (we know Jenka confined him to this floating island, though we don't have specifics, like what was there before... was it their ruined kingdom? Or...).
And seeing all those bones. Jenka might be some kind of Necromancer-like witch, with the ability to control the dead (Sand Zone bone enemies). Spirit magic of sorts? Definitely has the ability to seal things... Such as the Sun Stone seal.

And how does magic work? Is it naturally occuring? Does something produce it? Is it summoned from some otherworldly source?

The Mimiga curse transformation didn't revert with Ballos' defeat though. And even attempting to undo it, seemed to only last for a moment before it reverted back. So what does that tell us?
And the Demon Crown lasted as long as Ballos was alive.

That could possibly mean that Misery does have her own magic, if the curse will last as long as Misery is alive, like the Demon Crown. Though different spells might last differently. Control magic is broken immediately when the connection is severed. But, transformation/alteration magic might work completely differently. Perhaps like a curse, and if magic is naturally occuring, it will continue to stay on her.
Or maybe when the curse wears off, it will leave her in her current state, whatever that state will be.

What if
What if
What
////////////////////////////
aSDAASDASDdassa
It is possible Ballos wasn't intentionally making the island fall to escape though, and maybe the little cores by themselves just couldn't handle a out of control Ballos. Like Curly guessed about negative energy.
Maybe like a sink that's being flooded with too much water, the little cores were drowning without the main Core, making them fail to work properly. Thus the slow fall, and not a freefall.

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:19 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm sure that while the speed of descent looked slow from a distance the speed would feel incredible up close. Plus since we don't know the size of the island or how high in the sky it actually is there is no real way to judge the speed at which the island is falling.

And if Misery's magic is sourced from Ballos (the only reason I could ever see for the creation of the crown) then that external source of magic should end. However if the effects of her magic don't require the constant application of magic then there's no reason why the spell should end because the source ends. However I can't expect Misery to be able to continue to source magic from someone who is dead, and neither would the crown for that matter. Hence why the demon crown ends with Ballos, as the dog said. If Misery still has the curse of servitude (the only part of the deal that mightn't require a magic source to operate) then it doesn't really matter, because the magic sourced from Ballos that powered both her and the crown is gone, the crown is destroyed, and without the magic to resurrect the crown there will be no more bearers to serve.