What abilities do the Demon Crown give the wearer?

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:45 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
While I was trying to beat the Sacred Grounds for like the thousandth time, I thought of this.

The obvious is that he gets control of Misery, a powerful witch. But is that the only ability the crown gives? Post what you think.

Here's the list so far (gonna edit this when more things suggested):
- Control over misery.

- Flying

P.S. I wasn't sure where to place this, so I placed it in the theories section. A moderator can move this if needed.

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:27 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Control over /b/alrog

Hovering

Teleportation

Magic

Red things

The ability to do steroids at will

That's all I can guess

Apr 17, 2015 at 4:19 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
QuoteHax said:
Control over /b/alrog

Hovering

Teleportation

Magic

Red things

The ability to do steroids at will

That's all I can guess

I think that the hovering isn't actually the Demon Crown. I think it's misery that makes him levitating, but of course, he has control over her. So I guess that counts.
duncathan said:
Did you forget about control over balrog?

I presume misery made him, so it's actually she that controls him.

Apr 17, 2015 at 4:36 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
-Imortality
-Can Shoot Red Projectiles
-Summon (Like the bats in the second form)
-Can possess (Like the core)
-Transformation of his own body and others

Apr 17, 2015 at 4:55 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Crasharthur, all the abilities you stated where for the red crystal.

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:16 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Bionicobot, if you think better, the cristal only gives him power but never especified what powers are.

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:17 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
TheDoctor said:
I presume misery made him, so it's actually she that controls him.
Misery and Balrog act more as "partners in crime" throughout the game as opposed to having a more "boss and minion" dynamic going on.
Since they were both imprisoned at the beginning of the game when the doctor found the crown, it's more likely he has equal control over them.

crasharthur said:
Bionicobot, if you think better, the cristal only gives him power but never especified what powers are.
No he's got a very legitimate point.
None of those powers are showcased until he actually decides to use the Red Crystal in battle, and it's a given that the red energy based attacks are the result of the red crystal, which include the storm of bats.
The immortality part was from the Crystal, his resurrection had nothing to do with the Demon crown. The dcotor even takes note of the Crystal's power in Black Space, calling it "incredible". This also factors in to his possession, where he's only 'alive' because of the Crystal, and he posesses the core when he's in the form of the red mist.

Also no one's mentioned this but
Lightning
Might want to include that

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:25 PM
"Huzzah!"
The Demon Crown makes its owner an omnipotent god. The reason they don't use all of this omnipotency to its full potential is because Cave Story is a game and Pixel wants us to be able to beat it.

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:30 PM
Serri Online
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
crasharthur said:
-Imortality
It's safe to say the other three before the Doctor died even with the crown on.

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:16 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Yeah, I don't think the crown gives immortality. Additionally, the lightning is all Misery's work.

But perhaps it gives control of Balrog, Misery, AND THE RED FLOWERS.

The two previous crown-bearers we know of used the red flowers AND the Demon Crown to attempt to rule the world. The Doctor also seems to think that he'll be able to direct the frenzied mimigas as an army. Therefore it can be assumed that he has control over the red flowers.

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:06 PM
"Huzzah!"
I think it not only gives power, but has negative effects on the wearer as well. If you look at the previous owners in the statue room, they look kind of deformed. Of course this could have occurred before they got the Crown, but you never know. But evidence to support that it caused this would be that the Crown almost overtakes the Doctor when he becomes the Muscle Doctor and gets slightly deformed.

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:08 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Maybe it curses them or calls out to people like the Ring in Lord of the Rings. Makes them unnaturally obsessed and power hungry? We've yet to hear of a good Demon Crown bearer.

It does certainly give control over Mimigas and humans infected with the Red. (Red flower, red crystal).
Maybe it gives the wearer the ability to control the island's movement too. There is a connection to the Core with how the Crown controls infected humans and mimigas, and that control is undone if the Core is destroyed... so perhaps there is control over the Core, which makes the island float according to Kazuma/Booster.
Also, perhaps the crown gives access to Ballos' wild magic. It's a pretty popular theory. Ballos is a huge powerhouse of wild magic, and controlling it or even having magic at all would be something desireable.

It also gives control of Misery and Balrog to some extent. Makes me wonder if the wearer has access to their powers as well? Summoning bats, and teleporting are trademark Misery effects.
As for immortality... I dunno, I think that's less the Crown and more the Crystal. After all when the Doctor became a mist, the crown was already destroyed, and he had lost control over Misery.

etc etc...
Search out old topics for more information.
Exactly what the Demon Crown was created for, is a Pixel mystery©, although I agree partly with what you said about how the Demon Crown is used to control some things. Here's more :

The powers of the Crown :
-teleportation
-levitation
-summoning creatures
-shooting projectiles
-control creatures affected by the red flower
-control Misery and Balrog
-using Ballos like Lightning strikes

More importantly, most likely :
-Control of the island, its movement, its functions probably

But its original function could likely have been :
-Revenge against the world
-To Safely Control Ballos' Magic
-For another purpose, tricked by Halda
-To try to Save Ballos' Mind
-Or to just Control the Island

Also, if Misery had Ballos make the Crown for herself, it is likely; the Crown took on its own form after it turned on her.
Also, we don't know if the Crown turned on Misery right away or not. There's a chance it could have worked for a while, before becoming the Demon Crown. Everything is uncertain...

Some details :
Does it control Ballos' magic? Yes, likely.

Frenzied Mimigas are controlled by the Demon Crown
Frenzied Mimigas are created by the Demon Flower
Frenzied Mimigas are restored by destroying the Core
Destroying the Core seems to cause Ballos' negative power to run wild

Point being, Frenzied Mimigas are created by a byproduct of Ballos' Magic, and the Crown can control it.

PERHAPS, the Crown can only control the scattered powers of Ballos on the island, like the Flowers, or the Core to move the island; But, it is unable to tap DIRECTLY into Ballos unlimited power.
If you get too close to the event horizon you can no longer control it anymore!

Apr 18, 2015 at 7:36 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Lets be honest here. If the power Misery has is the result of the crown, given that Misery getting magical power from Ballos may have been the whole point of the exercise, then the Doctor should in theory have the exact same powers as Misery with the addition of control over Misery, Balrog, and those afflicted by red flowers/crystals.

Given that the source of the magic for the red flowers and the demon crown are the same (Ballos) it should in theory only strengthen the Doctor's existing magic, physical strength, and mental instability rather than add new powers.

Apr 18, 2015 at 7:57 PM
andwhyisit said:
Lets be honest here. If the power Misery has is the result of the crown, given that Misery getting magical power from Ballos may have been the whole point of the exercise, then the Doctor should in theory have the exact same powers as Misery with the addition of control over Misery, Balrog, and those afflicted by red flowers/crystals.

Given that the source of the magic for the red flowers and the demon crown are the same (Ballos) it should in theory only strengthen the Doctor's existing magic, physical strength, and mental instability rather than add new powers.
What proof is there that the red flowers have the same source? They could be just some normal red flowers that have some sort of chemicals...

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:06 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
oh! has "giving the weilder enough head strength to carry a block on his head without giving him even more of a hunchback than he already has" been listed?

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:25 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
TLincoln said:
It's safe to say the other three before the Doctor died even with the crown on.
Doesn't immortality just mean you can live forever but still die of other causes?

Apr 18, 2015 at 9:33 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
QuoteHax said:
Doesn't immortality just mean you can live forever but still die of other causes?
immortal means you can't die of mortal causes(wounds/age/shock/embarassment/etc)