Welcome to the Forums! Collab Mod

Sep 19, 2015 at 1:00 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
So I thought, "Hey, why not make a fun an interesting way of getting most of the community's rules, suggestions, and pet peeves across the table?"

"Well how should I do this, and in a way that brings the whole community in on it?" I wondered.

"Why, I know! A collaborative modification of Cave Story!"

And so here it is. The literal base framework for the mod. Because I'm not the only one who's going to do it.

We all are. It's a much more engaging way of learning the rules of this place than sitting and reading a list of rules.

So, here's how it's going to work: We'll have a set of characters (forum members) that will explain different aspects of the community's rules and such.

• SuperJaws100 (Misery sprites) - Mascot for Modding Advice
  • (Sue sprites)
  • (Santa sprites)
  • Doors (Booster sprites) - Mascot for Expected Behavior
  • George Bobicles (King sprites) - Mascot for Guidelines
  • Aar (Curly sprites)
  • More to be added? Maybe?
Sign-up for things to be done:
  • Titlescreen art:
  • Basic TSC work: SuperJaws100
  • Music:
  • Other needed things to be added at request of forum users.
Two characters will act as mascot for each section (for now). When you sign up for a role, you can request that you act as mascot for a certain section. You do NOT have to do any coding for that section, but whoever does will need to use your sprites as one of the mascots.

I've attached the initial framework for the mod. The order of sections will go as it is displayed above- rules, expected behavior, and the advice for modding. So whoever wants to do the rules section has dibs on the download first.

I hope everyone will help build this mod, and I hope that when it is finished it can be pinned to the top of the modding section of the forum.

EDIT:
Oops, forgot to attach it.

Attachments

• Welcome to the Forums.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015 at 1:19 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
No offense, but collabrative mods are never a good idea. Even with two or three people, it usually ends badly.
Edit:
Can't even use the door. Oh wait, that's where we put in work.
Edit 2:
I originally thought you were just doing a collab mod and not a mod to explain forum rules. But why is that necessary?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015 at 1:38 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Jaws, what makes you think people who are too lazy to read a list of rules are going to play a mod about rules?

Sep 19, 2015 at 1:39 AM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
i thought you wanted to stop making mods

also i'm boycotting this thread on account of you hogging misery's spot

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:26 AM
Jaws, what makes you think people who are too lazy to read a list of rules are going to play a mod about rules?

Because the mod would be meant to be more engaging than sitting and reading.

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:32 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
your heart's in the right area code but I feel there are some finer details to this that you're overlooking

Sep 19, 2015 at 3:03 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
you know, this may be unnecessary, but I first came to these forums to play mods (along with trying to branch out). And for that reason I can't say this is a bad Idea.

You got my support Superjaws.

here's some king sprites
p-0-tumblrnuwir9oqwj1rh7vabo1400.png

the kazuma edit is from my mod as are the king sprites.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015 at 3:21 AM
your heart's in the right area code but I feel there are some finer details to this that you're overlooking

What details?

you know, this may be unnecessary, but I first came to these forums to play mods (along with trying to branch out). And for that reason I can't say this is a bad Idea.

You got my support Superjaws.

here's some king sprites
p-0-tumblrnuwir9oqwj1rh7vabo1400.png

the kazuma edit is from my mod as are the king sprites.

Thanks! Is there a specific section of the mod you'd like to be the "mascot" of?

Sep 19, 2015 at 3:41 AM
Professional Whatever
You know i'd be more on board with this if it was something that users could more easily and quickly access (mods require downloading, extracting etc in order to get started, which I know deters me from playing a lot of mods) but it's different and a neat idea so give it your all.
I think i have some isabelle sprites and faces if you wanna use those for some character

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:01 AM
You know i'd be more on board with this if it was something that users could more easily and quickly access (mods require downloading, extracting etc in order to get started, which I know deters me from playing a lot of mods) but it's different and a neat idea so give it your all.
I think i have some isabelle sprites and faces if you wanna use those for some character

Well in reality, whatever sprites you give me, I'm calling "Doors", so yes, that is alright.

EDIT:
If certain individuals are willing, I could also use popular mod characters. So perhaps Debug Cat, Jenn, (Terri?), etc. Also, I know there's a set of Aar sprites floating around, but I won't use/request those unless @Aar says it's okay.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015 at 4:19 AM
yeah sure
G3iPnEx.png

Anything you wish to sponsor in particular? (I'm giving you the Curly slot because Curly and the MyChar sprites are near identical.)

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:31 AM
Professional Whatever
alright, here's the sprites
kgjsf.bmp

kgjtY.bmp

if you need walking sprites as well i can probably make a couple

Sep 19, 2015 at 5:54 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Because the mod would be meant to be more engaging than sitting and reading.

If new members can't be assed to read one thread on the rules, how exactly are we supposed to expect them to function properly on the forums, a place where you sit and read? Not to mention that playing a mod might be more engaging than reading a thread for some, but you have to remember that not everyone here on the forums plays mods or even frequents the modding section. That is, a good portion of the userbase just plain old doesn't care about mods at all.

And also maybe you haven't been here long enough (or it's just been awhile since someone's proposed a collab), but collabs have an even lower success rate than mods in general. The best one that was completed was Take8, iirc, and that was more of a level pack than anything else.

I don't want to discourage you from making this mod, but maybe you should rethink your logic behind what you're making here a bit.

alright, here's the sprites
kgjsf.bmp

kgjtY.bmp

if you need walking sprites as well i can probably make a couple

Looks like all that time you spent drawing r34 of Isabelle is finally paying off. Good work.

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:23 PM
If new members can't be assed to read one thread on the rules, how exactly are we supposed to expect them to function properly on the forums, a place where you sit and read? Not to mention that playing a mod might be more engaging than reading a thread for some, but you have to remember that not everyone here on the forums plays mods or even frequents the modding section. That is, a good portion of the userbase just plain old doesn't care about mods at all.

And also maybe you haven't been here long enough (or it's just been awhile since someone's proposed a collab), but collabs have an even lower success rate than mods in general. The best one that was completed was Take8, iirc, and that was more of a level pack than anything else.

I don't want to discourage you from making this mod, but maybe you should rethink your logic behind what you're making here a bit.

Looks like all that time you spent drawing r34 of Isabelle is finally paying off. Good work.

I know about the whole collab deal. I was, however, under the impression that Take8 was similar to what I'm trying to do here, in the sense that one member would do each section at a time.

In reality, this is less of a "collab" and more of, "Hey, some random guy do this first section, then some other guy do the second section, and how about I'll do the third one?" In addition, this isn't a normal mod. It's just going to be an interesting way of presenting the rules to new members. We all know that most people completely ignore the rules when they get here. Either that or they don't notice they're there. But they will notice a big flashy mod if they're interested in that. And lately a lot of the new users (as far as I'm aware) are at least partly interested in modding.

EDIT:

Also, thanks Doors. I'm going to have you "sponsor" the only remaining spot that needs one...

EDIT (Again):

Also, I'm thinking that my sprites will probably be based off Napstablook. GIR, I know you're absolutely amazing at transcribing by ear. Can you do a transcription of Napstablook's theme? I would greatly appreciate it, but you don't have to.

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:41 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
I was, however, under the impression that Take8 was similar to what I'm trying to do here
Take8 is more of the "play the game" sort of thing, this mod sounds like it's going to be some sort of "listen to these things" thing.

Sep 19, 2015 at 6:44 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I couldn't even make it past the first room.

Sep 19, 2015 at 9:04 PM
I couldn't even make it past the first room.

That's because someone who knows the rules is supposed to put something there. I'll probably wind up doing it with the people I've got sprites from.

EDIT:

This might not get done for a while because I have a lot of schoolwork to take care of. Not abandoned, just not my top priority right now.

Last edited: