Weapon Graphic Editing

May 26, 2008 at 4:36 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
This has probably been answered somewhere, but I made several searches, and I couldn't find it, so don't flame me. :rolleyes:

Anyway, while tinkering around with Cave Story Modifying, I decided it'd be nice to have different weapon graphics. Only problem is, whenever I edit the PBM file and save it, upon hitting "Run" I get some weird message with a bunch of strange "letters", and the game shuts down. If I put the old unedited one back, it runs fine. I KNOW this can be done, I've seen it in lots of mods, but is there some way I'm supposed to do it? If anyone knows what's wrong, say so, I'd appreciate it. :cool:

May 26, 2008 at 4:50 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Have you checked if the file turns into a .bmp?

May 26, 2008 at 5:03 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I saved it as a BMP, then renamed it to a PBM... Is that not right?

May 26, 2008 at 5:04 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Did you at the (C)Pixel tag at the end of the file with a hex editor?

May 26, 2008 at 5:36 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
No, I didn't even notice that there was one... I even tried just changing the colors of one bullet and it gave me an error anyway.

May 26, 2008 at 5:49 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Do what Lyger says.

Or remove (C)Pixel from Doukutsu.exe

May 26, 2008 at 6:08 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I'm not 100% sure what to do, I tried it but it didn't seem to work, do you know of any tutorials?

May 26, 2008 at 6:11 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
Absolute Zer0 said:
This has probably been answered somewhere, but I made several searches, and I couldn't find it, so don't flame me. :rolleyes:

Anyway, while tinkering around with Cave Story Modifying, I decided it'd be nice to have different weapon graphics. Only problem is, whenever I edit the PBM file and save it, upon hitting "Run" I get some weird message with a bunch of strange "letters", and the game shuts down. If I put the old unedited one back, it runs fine. I KNOW this can be done, I've seen it in lots of mods, but is there some way I'm supposed to do it? If anyone knows what's wrong, say so, I'd appreciate it. :cool:
How about I do you a favor?
If you send me the files you want (after changes you want, of course), in BMP format, I'll send them back to you as PBM's that'll work, 'kay?

My email is on my profile.

May 26, 2008 at 6:22 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
DragonBoots said:
If you send me the files you want (after changes you want, of course), in BMP format, I'll send them back to you as PBM's that'll work, 'kay?

That would be great! Of course, they aren't quite done yet, so it may be a while before I e-mail you, but thanks a ton! :rolleyes:

May 26, 2008 at 7:40 AM
Absolute Zer0 said:
That would be great! Of course, they aren't quite done yet, so it may be a while before I e-mail you, but thanks a ton! :rolleyes:
Now to corrupt this topic into a pile of Spiced Ham.

May 26, 2008 at 8:23 AM
Justin-chan
And he missed it! =O

Edit - Going to watch Iron Man soon, getting ready now. Bai

May 26, 2008 at 9:49 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Absolute Zer0 said:
I saved it as a BMP, then renamed it to a PBM... Is that not right?
Yes, it's right. And As I've read from the comments above, I shall be silent now. :)

May 26, 2008 at 3:48 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
jcys810 said:
Or remove (C)Pixel from Doukutsu.exe
That works? O_o Must try that sometime.

May 26, 2008 at 5:08 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
DragonBoots said:

No you dumb chit!

He wants to LEARN! Not to be spoon fed! How could you have such ulterior motives DB! >:E

(never really meant that olol doom text for the wind)

Ok heres how to do it (posted many times before btw lols):

Edit a sprite sheet.
Save it with the NAME SpriteNameHere.pbm and save it as a .bmp file. The .pbm included in the name is not really a file extension in this case but it does give the idea that it is a .pbm file to the game. So the game would read it as a .pbm file and it would work.

If the problem persists, use Hex Editer (search for it please) and open the .exe. Then you find the "Goto" option (in one of the drop down menus) and find the TEXT string "(C)Pixel" (case sensitive). When you're there, replace the values representing the characters that make up "(C)Pixel" to 00.

Hopefully this works :)

May 26, 2008 at 6:44 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Metalogz said:
No you dumb chit!

He wants to LEARN! Not to be spoon fed! How could you have such ulterior motives DB! >:E

(never really meant that olol doom text for the wind)

Ok heres how to do it (posted many times before btw lols):

Edit a sprite sheet.
Save it with the NAME SpriteNameHere.pbm and save it as a .bmp file. The .pbm included in the name is not really a file extension in this case but it does give the idea that it is a .pbm file to the game. So the game would read it as a .pbm file and it would work.

If the problem persists, use Hex Editer (search for it please) and open the .exe. Then you find the "Goto" option (in one of the drop down menus) and find the TEXT string "(C)Pixel" (case sensitive). When you're there, replace the values representing the characters that make up "(C)Pixel" to 00.

Hopefully this works :)

When I save the file, it doesn't show "(C)Pixel" in the hex editor by default, it shows blank characters. I've tried leaving it, adding (C)Pixel, and adding the same number of 00 characters as there are letter/symbols in "(C)Pixel", none of these worked for me. I do know how to use the HEX editor... Is there another (C)Pixel I'm not finding? I'm editing the one at the very end of the file. :)

May 26, 2008 at 7:07 PM
Maybe I'll use Hypercam to make a tutorial for YouTube...
:)

I was only offering it as a kindness, fyi.

May 26, 2008 at 7:19 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Yeah, I know, it was a really nice thing to offer. I do want to learn so that I'm not e-mailing you a bunch of sprites twice a week, but until I learn I see no harm in getting a little help with the technical difficulties. :)

Also, a tutorial on Youtube would be great! You use Hypercam too?

May 26, 2008 at 7:24 PM
Absolute Zer0 said:
Yeah, I know, it was a really nice thing to offer. I do want to learn so that I'm not e-mailing you a bunch of sprites twice a week, but until I learn I see no harm in getting a little help with the technical difficulties. :)

Also, a tutorial on Youtube would be great! You use Hypercam too?
If you'd like to use the demo, I reccomend you download the trial version of Hex Workshop, asi it is the program I use.

I'm going to list the notes on a text doc that I'll refer to.

(Insert linky to demo.)

EDIT: Demo won't be on YouTube, I'm going to upload it to SkyDrive and post a link to DL the avi.

EDIT EDIT: Also, I dun mind doing the Hex part at all.
Kind of a mind-numbing break from the intensive TSC sessions I go through.

lol
^^'

So, if the demo doesn't help...