We need a new means of account verification.

Apr 17, 2020 at 3:00 PM
I'MMA FIRIN' MAH LAZER!!!
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This is the second time this year that this has been going on, where the email verification prompts are popping up, and no actual emails are being sent. And this has been going on for even longer this time, considering the last new member that made an account in the forums.

Now, I completely understand why we have this setup, and that is protection from the spambots. And as much as it would be nice to have that whole verification process removed entirely, that'd only make dealing with them an even bigger pain. But this has been so easily been bypassed by the bots themselves, that it's going to have to be better to go for a more secure means of account verification, as well as making it not be required to be done every month on every device you log into the forums on. Personally, I wouldn't mind a Captcha system, or something more immediate like the Human Verification process being used in Romhacking.net.

Any opinions on this? Maybe there's a better alternative than the ones I've suggested or maybe something already in the works?

Apr 17, 2020 at 10:02 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
the forums are dead

Apr 17, 2020 at 11:30 PM
the forums are dead
Mayhaps you can go and suggest something to have the be place alive then, since you're so concerned about its demise.

Apr 18, 2020 at 9:11 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Perhaps using a transactional email API such as Mailgun would ensure email delivery. Sure, it's a paid service ($0.80/1000 emails/mo), but it's not that much IMO and it does provide fast SMTP delivery.

Apr 18, 2020 at 12:32 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Perhaps using a transactional email API such as Mailgun would ensure email delivery. Sure, it's a paid service ($0.80/1000 emails/mo), but it's not that much IMO and it does provide fast SMTP delivery.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't making a paid email service mandatory reduce the amount of people willing to join here?

Apr 18, 2020 at 1:24 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I agree with this, we do need to upgrade or use a different way to verify accounts, and while I don't actually have a problem with this (since I don't remember ever verifying my account in the first place) I agree with your suggestion with ROMhacking.net's way of human verification.

Apr 18, 2020 at 11:01 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't making a paid email service mandatory reduce the amount of people willing to join here?
It would have to be Andwhy paying for the service, if that's what Joe really meant.

Apr 19, 2020 at 2:17 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
The forums are dead...

Apr 19, 2020 at 2:24 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Apr 19, 2020 at 11:27 AM
It would have to be Andwhy paying for the service, if that's what Joe really meant.
So the individual users don't have pay for this service, but Andywhy does? On one hand, it assuages any worries I had about reducing new member counts and potential elitism. On the other, if it costs $0.80/1000 emails for each member, and there are about 100+ members (not counting spambots/sockpuppets), then how much is that going to cost? And it probably costs money for the admins to keep this site afloat (unless it's one of those free forums sites).

Apr 20, 2020 at 1:49 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
$0.80/1000 emails for each member
dunno where you got the "for each member" part from. it's overall $0.80/1000 emails, so if 1000 people sign up in a month, andwhy would have to pay $0.80. (I'm not counting the notification emails, which I think should be disabled by default).

But again, you get more emails for the first three months (for free), so andwhy can always experiment and see how many emails are sent out per month and if it would be worth it cost-wise.

Apr 20, 2020 at 9:45 AM
dunno where you got the "for each member" part from. it's overall $0.80/1000 emails, so if 1000 people sign up in a month, andwhy would have to pay $0.80. (I'm not counting the notification emails, which I think should be disabled by default).

But again, you get more emails for the first three months (for free), so andwhy can always experiment and see how many emails are sent out per month and if it would be worth it cost-wise.
Ah, I had assumed that the $0.80 was on an individual basis rather than a general one. If that amount is on a general basis, then I'm sure that for Whyis, it would probably be worth the cost in the long run.