Waterway Challenge

Do you like the game and did it work? (if not please say in comments what happened)

• No, it didn't even work!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 26, 2018 at 2:29 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Well there's a counter at some challenge sooooo
Polar star pathway :2.04.6
Machine gun pathway :1.57.6
oh and little + in the bonus to never let the player die,
otherwise it would be a pain~

Jul 27, 2018 at 5:54 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Man I feel bad that I have to kill chin fish at the end of the chin fish challenge.

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:47 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Man I feel bad that I have to kill chin fish at the end of the chin fish challenge.
:chin::chin::chin::chin::chin::chin::chin::chin::chin::chin::chin:

I tried to add the little thing about the chinfish will always be back to host the game again to show that you aren't actually hurting him

Jul 29, 2018 at 1:47 PM
-Okay this intro looks sorta odd, with Quote float-walking in mid-air?

-Huh. You used an NPC that moves up and down to make this room appear as if it's floating. That's pretty cool. I would however suggest that you turn up the focus' delay to 32 or something, it is slightly nauseating when the room suddenly stops moving in one direction to go in the other.

-Chinfish Course?

-I feel like "difficulty" would sorta be a better word than "toughness." Also, having it range from 1 to 10 is a bit overkill. I think 1-5 would probably be enough to describe an increase in difficulty for a short-ish mod. Also, fine distinction between difficulties (toughnesses?) is impossible anyway, because some people have more difficulty with some things than others..

-I feel like there should be an <MYD0002 at the start of this. Having Quote staring off into a wall is sorta weird.

-7/10 for this? Ehh... it only killed me twice, once because I got distracted and didn't realise it wasn't over.

-4/10... then 7/10... then 2/10??

-WAIT THAT WAS IT?? HOW WAS THAT NOT 0/10... or even an obstacle at all??

-Okay... *trusts the game*... well there's still no spike at the top, dude.

>10/10
-Well, THIS is what I'd rate a 5/10 TBH. Again, having a difficulty measurement is sorta meaningless.

>Chinfish Course Finisher
-Will this thing finish the course for me, or?

>Ready to restart?
-No, I want to go back to the house.
>Is that a yes I heard?
-What! No!
>*gets taken back to the house*
-Uhh okay.

-At the start of the Waterway it'll only level up one of my weapons?

-Okay so I just got trough the Waterway to Iron Head and now I have the Spur?

-Now I'm in Water Flow Path? The tiling here is really a big step down from that of the Chinfish Course, which had pretty good tiling by the way.

-Oh okay, the game isn't going to kill me for picking the wrong one...

-It would be nice to have some weapon energy capsules in the Waterway challenge, otherwise there's basically no way to level things up, which sorta sucks.

-I managed to get 1'46"2, Polar Star pathway. Annoyingly, in this mod Iron Head can go trough the walls and the ceiling? Did you not put solid tiles there or something?

-Having this moving background with the normal foreground is like... "a bit much."

>Want to play again?
-No, I wanna play the other one...

-Okay, with the Machine Gun; 1'41"5. Not much difference. Sorta wish I'd had the Booster v0.8??
Thanks for playing:D:D:D:D:chin::mahin:

Yeah in the next update which has taken a while I changed the introduction with some help so it looks better
I think the only reason why I made the difficulty for that "Water Walk" obstacle 2/10 is because if you were really bad you could drown in the water
but now that I think about it I should probably make it 1/10 unless 1 is the lowest which I think is what I was thinking before but I'm not sure that makes sense anymore

Also do you think it would be good if I changed the wording for "restarts" and "playing again" to "go back to the Sky Cabin"?

I also made it so that you would start with only one of your weapons leveled up because that was the main weapon of that pathway and also because I wasn't really sure how to level all of them up...
And I made the polar star turn into the spur because the machine gun is better than the polar star in most ways so I decided that to make both pathways more even the polar star could get more powerful just for the boss fight

Also I didn't know iron head wasn't supposed to be able to go through the ceiling
I thought that always happened do I just put some regular blocks there and it's fixed? Maybe I accidentally deleted them while testing stuff WHOOPS
Oh and the Water Web thing I just thought was way too big of a map (It's the size of the ENTIRE PLANTATION which is actually very full of just air blocks in the regular cave story due to the amount of space between the two main levels of land) to spend that much time making sure everything looked good

I still hope you had fun:D:D:D

Jul 29, 2018 at 8:16 PM
"Huzzah!"

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 12:26 AM
I'd say I did. I think in future I'd like to see more original zones, like the Chinfish Course. An extension of the Waterway would be pretty cool.
I had some help from the cyber sleuth (who changed their name I think) and I added another area to give more space for another unique level kind of like the chinfish course so I hope that'll be fun

in the next update why don't you

ERROR IN CODE PROCESS: 01001110 01101111 01101110 00100000 01100011 00100111 01100101 01110010 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01101111 01110000 01101111 00100000 01101110 01100101 01101100 00100000 01100110 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01110001 01110101 01100101 01110011 01110100 01101111 00100000 00101110 00101110 00101110
I'm not sure what you mean by "error: message not found" but thanks for the suggestion!!

Jul 30, 2018 at 1:26 AM
"Huzzah!"

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 4:23 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
When do you think you'll finish the next update? You've been working for quite some time now. Really looking forward to it.

:chin::chin::chin::chin::chin::chin::chin:-----
--:chin::chin::chin::chin::chin::chin:------
----:chin::chin::chin::chin:----------
-----:chin::chin::chin::chin:---------
----:chin::chin::chin:-------------
-----:chin::chin:---------------
------:chin::chin:--------------
----------:chin:-------------
-------------:chin:----------
(this will probably only look good on certain browsers)

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:10 PM
When do you think you'll finish the next update? You've been working for quite some time now. Really looking forward to it.

:chin::chin::chin::chin::chin::chin::chin:-----
--:chin::chin::chin::chin::chin::chin:------
----:chin::chin::chin::chin:----------
-----:chin::chin::chin::chin:---------
----:chin::chin::chin:-------------
-----:chin::chin:---------------
------:chin::chin:--------------
----------:chin:-------------
-------------:chin:----------
(this will probably only look good on certain browsers)
It looks like a crazy chinfishnado in my browser :D :chin:
I also started another mod which I just almost pretty much finished so that's why I was so busy

but now I can work on this thing and update it again

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:59 PM
Soup Man
It looks like a crazy chinfishnado in my browser :D :chin:
I also started another mod which I just almost pretty much finished so that's why I was so busy

but now I can work on this thing and update it again
Awesome. Excited to see how both mods will turn out.

Aug 1, 2018 at 9:04 PM
Ok, I think I finished the new version
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwuzh1n8zbitiml/Waterway Challenge Version 3 Share.zip?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwuzh1n8zbitiml/Waterway Challenge Version 3 Share.zip?dl=0

I did add one new level but it's kind of short (and should be fairly easy...)
Most of the stuff that IS new in this version is I changed a lot of the things so it looks better, like having a new title screen and having a new introduction since a lot of people noted that Quote walking through the water was weird.

I hope you enjoy and if something is broken please let me know!
:D:D:D:chin::chin::chin::chin:

ALSO I think the secret mode should be easier to find now....

Aug 1, 2018 at 10:20 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
So I guess I'll come out of the shadows for a little bit to say I really like it! Here's my review of sorts.

I like the concept of a Waterway speedrun challenge, and it was executed very well. Having all the weapons you would have in the original game when you got to the Waterway was a nice touch.

Also, giving the player the Spur at the end of the Polar Star route is a nice way to balance the two paths.

As for the other stuff, the Chinfish Challenge looked great, and played really well. I both love and hate the part where you had 3 paths to choose from, but it was a nice little mindgame you played. The "secret" level wasn't that secret, though. Maybe you could remove the sign and have players figure it out themselves. Then again, you did say it's more obvious in this version, so maybe it was there in the previous versions and I was too dumb to notice. The level itself was really nice, though there's not much reason to take the left path right before the boss, other than maybe drowning.

The Water Flow Web is where I have a problem. It's the only thing about the mod I genuinely dislike. My problems with it are that it looks like crap, and is incredibly tedious. I actually didn't finish it because I got sick of repeating the same thing over and over. Though that might be because I don't like memory based puzzles in the first place. However, everything else is great, and I thoroughly enjoyed this mod.

Sorry about the wall of text, but I just wanted to say it all in one post.

I BEAT YOU ZXIN.PNG
Used the Polar Star path.

Now to beat Walrusguy's time...

Aug 1, 2018 at 10:22 PM
Soup Man
Ok, I think I finished the new version

I did add one new level but it's kind of short (and should be fairly easy...)
Most of the stuff that IS new in this version is I changed a lot of the things so it looks better, like having a new title screen and having a new introduction since a lot of people noted that Quote walking through the water was weird.

I hope you enjoy and if something is broken please let me know!
:D:D:D:chin::chin::chin::chin:

ALSO I think the secret mode should be easier to find now....
Good stuff. Here are my notes.
- Really a fan of the aesthetic in the mod.
- I didn't realize I got the booster in the water climb challenge until I had almost drowned, so maybe add a textbox.
- The fight with Waterog was unexpected, but really fun since I'd never fought a boss under water that wasn't affected by the physics.
- Maybe instead of putting a tile infront of the door, remove it entirely? Waterog got stuck on the tile so I could have easily cheesed the fight had I not decided against it.
- Still can't find the secret level.
- Replayed the Chinfish course and noticed some things. Firstly, since it's the annual chinfish course, does that mean you'll make another one a year from now?
- Also I got really confused at the part where you have to choose one of three paths. Maybe rephrase the way he explains it?
- I still couldn't find secret mode.

Pretty good addition to this. Looking forward to seeing more levels.

Aug 1, 2018 at 11:06 PM
So I guess I'll come out of the shadows for a little bit to say I really like it! Here's my review of sorts.

I like the concept of a Waterway speedrun challenge, and it was executed very well. Having all the weapons you would have in the original game when you got to the Waterway was a nice touch.

Also, giving the player the Spur at the end of the Polar Star route is a nice way to balance the two paths.

As for the other stuff, the Chinfish Challenge looked great, and played really well. I both love and hate the part where you had 3 paths to choose from, but it was a nice little mindgame you played. The "secret" level wasn't that secret, though. Maybe you could remove the sign and have players figure it out themselves. Then again, you did say it's more obvious in this version, so maybe it was there in the previous versions and I was too dumb to notice. The level itself was really nice, though there's not much reason to take the left path right before the boss, other than maybe drowning.

The Water Flow Web is where I have a problem. It's the only thing about the mod I genuinely dislike. My problems with it are that it looks like crap, and is incredibly tedious. I actually didn't finish it because I got sick of repeating the same thing over and over. Though that might be because I don't like memory based puzzles in the first place. However, everything else is great, and I thoroughly enjoyed this mod.

Sorry about the wall of text, but I just wanted to say it all in one post.

View attachment 4867
Used the Polar Star path.

Now to beat Walrusguy's time...
Thanks so much for playing!!! I'm really glad you enjoyed
Also by the way, the level you played that you thought was the secret level.... isn't the secret level :o:muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::balrog::balrog::balrog::balrog::balrog::balrog::balrog:
That was the water climb bonus level, which you were intended to find (even though it is semi-hidden)
Sorry that the water flow web area wasn't as fun
Maybe I should have made less of the paths lead back to the start...
I'm glad you enjoyed everything else though

Also really great time!!!!!!!!! :chin::chin::chin::critter::D:D:orangebell::pignon::heart:
My best with the polar star pathway was in the 1'30"something range, and i used machine gun because I found it moved me faster through the beginning part (although the boss is much faster with the spur)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________this line was made by me to separate replies (because I didn't want to post twice)
Good stuff. Here are my notes.
- Really a fan of the aesthetic in the mod.
- I didn't realize I got the booster in the water climb challenge until I had almost drowned, so maybe add a textbox.
- The fight with Waterog was unexpected, but really fun since I'd never fought a boss under water that wasn't affected by the physics.
- Maybe instead of putting a tile infront of the door, remove it entirely? Waterog got stuck on the tile so I could have easily cheesed the fight had I not decided against it.
- Still can't find the secret level.
- Replayed the Chinfish course and noticed some things. Firstly, since it's the annual chinfish course, does that mean you'll make another one a year from now?
- Also I got really confused at the part where you have to choose one of three paths. Maybe rephrase the way he explains it?
- I still couldn't find secret mode.

Pretty good addition to this. Looking forward to seeing more levels.

Thanks for playing again :D :chin::chin:
I did think about putting something as a textbox but I thought the level was too easy and I kind of wanted the player to drown on the right side once (because the left side you can easily get hit by a spike, but you likely won't make the same mistake again)
You're probably right about the door tile though
I think you are correct I should just make the door tiles water and move the door npc somewhere else that cant be reached and just add them back after the fight

Oh and for the secret level here's a hint:
it's in the sky cabin
it's in the first part of the sky cabin and you are able to see it (so it's not like a random null npc on the stairs or something)

Also I just thought the annual chinfish course was just a fun word to add maybe because they host it once a year
Which doesn't really make much sense since you can play it any time you want...

Also I guess saying "The top one is as well" might be a little weird considering you can't see any spikes, so I might change that later

and look above for more hints on secret level
(secret level isn't THAT interesting, it's just a little fun to mess around with)

:chin::chin::chin::chin:thanks for playing

Aug 2, 2018 at 1:23 AM
Soup Man
Thanks so much for playing!!! I'm really glad you enjoyed
Also by the way, the level you played that you thought was the secret level.... isn't the secret level :o:muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::balrog::balrog::balrog::balrog::balrog::balrog::balrog:
That was the water climb bonus level, which you were intended to find (even though it is semi-hidden)
Sorry that the water flow web area wasn't as fun
Maybe I should have made less of the paths lead back to the start...
I'm glad you enjoyed everything else though

Also really great time!!!!!!!!! :chin::chin::chin::critter::D:D:orangebell::pignon::heart:
My best with the polar star pathway was in the 1'30"something range, and i used machine gun because I found it moved me faster through the beginning part (although the boss is much faster with the spur)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________this line was made by me to separate replies (because I didn't want to post twice)

Thanks for playing again :D :chin::chin:
I did think about putting something as a textbox but I thought the level was too easy and I kind of wanted the player to drown on the right side once (because the left side you can easily get hit by a spike, but you likely won't make the same mistake again)
You're probably right about the door tile though
I think you are correct I should just make the door tiles water and move the door npc somewhere else that cant be reached and just add them back after the fight

Oh and for the secret level here's a hint:
it's in the sky cabin
it's in the first part of the sky cabin and you are able to see it (so it's not like a random null npc on the stairs or something)

Also I just thought the annual chinfish course was just a fun word to add maybe because they host it once a year
Which doesn't really make much sense since you can play it any time you want...

Also I guess saying "The top one is as well" might be a little weird considering you can't see any spikes, so I might change that later

and look above for more hints on secret level
(secret level isn't THAT interesting, it's just a little fun to mess around with)

:chin::chin::chin::chin:thanks for playing
Looked around a bit more and I found it. Nice use of that tile.

Aug 2, 2018 at 8:37 AM
"Huzzah!"

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 2:07 PM
World Record for Polar Star Pathway:
I could've done better.
I have a MG WR too, just not gonna upload it yet.
Wow that's a super good polar star pathway score, I can never seem to get through that big area with all the crazy streams going everywhere quickly
Also I think the title of the video is your machine gun record but for some reason it shows the polar star pathway...
Super great score :D:D:chin:

Aug 2, 2018 at 4:36 PM
"Huzzah!"

Last edited: