Videogame Myths and Urban Legends

Aug 8, 2004 at 4:05 PM
Penguin Administrator
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I'm very gullible, so I end up believing most of what people tell me. X_X

Recently, Mr. Skyewelse (Thomas) told me about how the Japanese version of Final Fantasy IV actually had a way to ressurect Palom and Polom that was taken out of the US version. He told it to me in such a convincing way (since he honestly believed it himself) that I ended up totally believing him and started spreading it to people I know about my big discovery. In a matter of seconds, I was told that it was not true at all. -_- So being the hard headed person that I am, I continued to hope that it was not a myth and even went to several Japanese Final Fantasy IV site to check on the validity.

Unfortunately, in the FAQ section it said "THERE IS NO WAY TO RESSURECT PALOM AND POLOM!!!" boldly.

Needless to say, I was very very embarassed. X_X

What are some myths and urban legends that you have heard over the years?

Aug 8, 2004 at 5:33 PM
Administrator
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
The one that EVERYONE talks about.... in FF7, there is a way to resurrect Aeris. People still insist it is possible!

Another one is in Suikoden 2, that there is a way to save both Nanami and Kiba.

Aug 8, 2004 at 9:54 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The Suikoden I classic: "There's a way to get upstairs in the Great Forest Inn!"

Aug 9, 2004 at 6:45 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Ah my mistake. Comes from being around a friend of mine who was a huge Final Fantasy IV buff to the point in which they would actually go as far as to insult someone by calling them a "Spoony Bard". This friend told me of several differences between the Japanese version and the English version, one being the fact that the option to use items to possibly cure Polom and Porom was incomplete due to the English version rushing and leaving out important sidequests that were found in the Japanese version. That's the myth in its entirety right there. ^^;

Other myths that I can think of at the moment were the ones from both the original Metroid and Super Metroid. Samus Aran, the heroine of the games is discovered to be female at the end of the first game (but only if you manage to finish the game under serious time constraints). Rumors were spread around that if a player were to finish the game fast enough and they just happened to be playing a rare version of the game that was somehow unedited from another version of the same game, you would be able to see another set of sprites and the end of the game depicting Samus in her birthday suit. This of course has been a myth long preserved for ages.

-SkyeWelse

Aug 9, 2004 at 9:11 PM
as3ad
A myth that is along the same lines as the Metroid one is the all too well-known Tomb Raider code where you can play as Lara in the nude.
What's funny is that the myth became so widespread that someone actually created a nude patch for the pc version of the game.

Aug 11, 2004 at 4:29 AM
Edge
. . . all too well-known Tomb Raider code where you can play as Lara in the nude.

Haha, that was the one I was going to say. In Tomb Raider 1 you're suppose to be able to do a flip and land on top of a statue inside Lara's house and she would take her shirt off. After about 30 minutes of attempting to do this, I gave up and realized it wasn't possible.

Aug 11, 2004 at 4:04 PM
Penguin Administrator
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Oh gosh, so many myths that deal with nudity. X_X

I wonder if the majority of these myths consist of just that.

Sep 14, 2007 at 3:00 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Bump.

darkannex said:
The one that EVERYONE talks about.... in FF7, there is a way to resurrect Aeris. People still insist it is possible!
That is because there is a powerful weapon for Aeris that you can't get to till after Aeris dies, there may have been other reasons but that is the one I remember. It might be ghost Aeris, maybe.

There were waaaayy too many myths/rumours/whatever surrounding pokemon, like "Beat the elite 4 100 times in one day and you will get a mew", I think people make this crap up and see how far the noobs will go.

Jan 27, 2009 at 2:38 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
I thought I'd resurrect this with a new Myth that I thought should be added to the list:

That of the "17th Colossus" of Shadow of the Colossus.

Even though there are a total of 16 Colossi that the Wanderer could seek out to fight, for awhile rumors were spread that you (The Player) could search out and fight a hidden and secret 17th Colossus! Even I believed it at first because I was so into the game at the time that I truly wanted to believe it! The rumor also stated that the final Colossus was actually atop the main sacred tower that the wanderer starts from, in a place located solely during the ending sequence of the game that gamer's dubbed "The Secret Garden".

However, that was proven wrong since gamers eventually managed to figure out a way to climb up the tower all the way to the very top of it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfE02F4dXDE

So the myth has expanded itself over time and changed around completely in certain cases. There have also been attempts at creating photoshoped images of the supposed 17th Colossus!

http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/7215/discarded034ye.jpg
http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/4239/discarded012jf.jpg

-SkyeWelse

Jan 27, 2009 at 3:22 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The Shadow of the Colossus one I'd heard was that there was a way to alter the ending. I don't want to spoil it for those that haven't had the pleasure yet, but it should be obvious to those that have seen what actually happens.

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:00 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Oh yeah, I've heard that as well. So that makes two myths to come out of that game. Interesting. I hope to make a game that spawns a myth like that someday. : )

-SkyeWelse

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:19 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh yes, if I'm remembering correctly you could also reach the top of the temple in the PAL demo, and rather than the garden there was a load of beta and unfinished junk up there. I'm pretty sure there's a Youtube clip of it floating around.

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:50 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
How about playing as or seeing Luigi in Super Mario 64? There used to be a myth that it was possible if you ran around the fountain 64 million times or beat the game without saving (etc).

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:58 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
That'd be fun to get a hold of that Shadow of the Colossus demo disc, climb the top of the tower and see what's up there. I don't think I'll want to get spoiled from Youtube on that one. That'll make it worth hunting down the demo. : )

Yes! I do remember the Luigi myth in Super Mario 64. I think there were also some people that associated being able to unlock Luigi with getting on the top of the castle early before collecting all 120 stars. But that was proven wrong as well in time. Leave it to gamers to do the impossible task and they'll find a way to do it.

-SkyeWelse

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:01 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Actually, SkyeWelse, you're incorrect about that chicken-like Colossus being photoshopped. In reality, it was merely a discarded model that was taken out of the game. I put my entire collection of Colossi images on MegaUpload and Rapidshare quite awhile ago, so here you are.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=y6ugot1v

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:41 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Wow, you're right. I had never seen those before. What an interesting collection of unused Colossi! There were some designs in there such as the spider, earthworm and boar that seemed even more interesting than a few that were in the game. Maybe they just ran out of time and originally planned on including them.

Thanks for sharing, Kage.

-SkyeWelse

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:08 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Wasn't another part of that Luigi thing something to do with the texture map for the fountain? "Lis42" or something.

Those colossus might have been for game length reasons too - as you only get the one quest (and even then it's basically "kill everything") there's only so much you can do before the player starts thing "Hey, I did this already!". They do look great though, but I think it would have been better if you got them as extras in the New Game+ mode.

Could have been a technical issue too, thinking about it - problems with the AI or graphical issues.

Another one - the stupidly hard "Collect 100 rings" task in the Sonic Jam 3D world. My brother and I had convinced ourselves something would happen if we managed it, but it turns out you don't get anything at all!

Jan 29, 2009 at 12:04 AM
"Huzzah!"
You know whats funny some of those miths came true (well kinda true)
In the Final Fantasy IV Advance, you can use the twins when you want (near the end of the game)
And Luigi is playable on Super Mario 64 DS.

---

I rembered the Tails Doll being hunted Mith, the time i heard about it, i already beated Sonic R around 100 times or something :confused:
It was the most ridicule thing i heard i my life. :p

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:21 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Here's another one:

About 2 years ago, someone posted a video on Digg showing how you could play as Master Hand in Super Smash Bros for N64. People were so willing to believe it was real that made the front page with over 1400 diggs. Being an avid SSB64 player, I immediately tried it (about 10 times) and was incredibly disappointed that it didn't work :confused: . It took awhile for people to realize that it was a fake (even though it was pretty obvious). Here's the link: http://digg.com/gaming_news/New_Secret_From_The_Original_N64_Version_of_Super_Smash_Bro_1999

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:47 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"