Usagi Story

Jun 15, 2019 at 12:45 PM
"Huzzah!"
Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 9.25.48 pm.png

This is Usagi Story, a story about a Mimiga called Usagi.

I wanted to make a mod, so I did. Featuring my character, Usagi.
While she's perhaps a little short on braincells, she's cheerful, determined, has a sword and is hell-bent on her life goal of kicking the Doctor in the face!
I'm not really sure what to classify this as. A rewrite of the original CS, technically? I originally started it off as a script edit to get the hang of Booster's Lab but it spiralled a little.

Features:

- Better writing then Nicalis' Curly Story! (...not hard)
- Secret rooms! (there's about four or something to find!)
- A bunch of cameos featuring new characters, guest characters and stupid in-jokes!
- New beginning, changes to some weapon quests! (and weaponised fish....)
- In-depth explanations for things that don't really need explaining!
- New dialogue for pretty much everything and more!
- Kanpachi shows up!
- More than one Chinfish
- Some truly awful puns

Screenshots:

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 9.31.54 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 9.33.27 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 4.02.15 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 8.31.42 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 9.45.23 am.png

EDIT: 1.0.0.7 update
Changes in v1.0.0.7:
- Changed "EmpressofSquids" to "Eli" on intro screen
- Fixed wrong date on title screen (used to be 2019.12, now it's 2019.06 - the date the mod was finished)
- Fixed doors in first map (Yard)
- Quote no longer will point at your wee
- Added save point in post-Ballos balcony (Blcny3)
- Fixed cloud H/V trigger event in Blcny3
- Fixed H/V trigger event on the very left of Blcny3 getting stuck in an infinite loop

(thanks/credit to @joexyz for the bugfixes!)

Download!

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 12:47 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Awesome!

Jun 15, 2019 at 4:08 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I'll just post the review I posted in a Discord server:

Even though it's just the exact same story except played out as Usagi, the mod was still one of the most enjoyable Cave Story mods I have played. Usagi's funny and great character, as well as the cameo characters and Kanpachi's big role in the game certainly contribute a lot to making this mod a lot more enjoyable than one would anticipate. The modified story is pretty linear and not boring, unlike a lot of Cave Story mods. The retelling is exciting and well laid-out. The extra/custom/hidden maps, the custom icon and splash screen, the custom window title, modified weapons add more to the uniqueness of this mod. I think this mod is very well-made, and one of the only finished Cave Story mods that are exciting and fun to play. I'd dare to say that this mod takes the second place in my most favorite Cave Story mods list (right after Jenka's Nightmare). I certainly can't say that it's perfect, but for what it takes, this is a really amazing mod, especially since this is Eli's first time modding CS. Props!

TL;DR: mod is awesome, non-boring, and unique, I loved it and is unbiasedly one of my favorite mods.

Aug 11, 2019 at 2:50 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Wow, can't believe this thing is already almost two months old but either way, but hey, we made a website: https://usagistory.sallai.me/ - this is where you'll always find the most recent version of the game.
Huge props to andwhy for allowing me to use his outer wall cloud assets.

Aug 11, 2019 at 10:56 PM
"Huzzah!"
ahh jeez it's been that long already?? yikes. anyway, yeah! there's a website now. huge thanks to joe for setting it up!!