Unusual/notable Cave Story LPs.

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:27 AM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
So, I notice there's a smattering of Let's Play threads here, but they mostly consist of people posting their videos in search of subscribers or critique. I've watched bits and pieces of a number of Cave Story LP's just for the off chance any of them would be insightful or funny. And then, today, I found this:

An unusual "Let's Play" of Cave Story... as narrated by Balrog. By DeceasedCrab, no less, who definitely has the right voice for it (let's not discuss the 'acting' part of 'voice acting', though). No idea if everyone's already seen it and I'm way behind the times.

So, what do you think of Balrog Story? Are there any other Let's Plays that you think stand out from the sea of Cave Story LPs for any reason? What are they and why do you like em?

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I remember this. DeceasedCrab is a gift to the human race :debug: I haven't run into much else though.

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:34 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
My goodness. I didn't know Balrog sounded sooo...... enthusiastic.

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:42 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
What is so notable about DC playing CS?

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:58 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Oct 23, 2012 at 6:34 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
there's an LP for jenka's nightmare by a german guy, it's pretty good

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:53 PM
What is so notable about DC playing CS?

Uh... Did you even read the description/watch the video? It's the fact that he's doing it in character as Balrog.

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:14 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This still isn't quite as good as the Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Special Edition LP, but it's interesting/a little different.

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:47 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
its hilarious when he screams"HUZZAH! I"M BALROG!!!" at the beginning. Shouldn't Balrog have a deeper voice though?

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:28 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
psh screw deceasedcarb you can't learn anything from his lps now face the awesome might and quality entertainment of FIREBOY116

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:36 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Jeez, I haven't been on YouTube in awhile, and during the times I had, I've never put effort into searching for Cave Story LPs. Only Cave Story related LP I've ever watched was Burnedkirby's WTF? Story.

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:49 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
as far as i can tell, WTFS has been abandoned, pretty much.

shame.

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:33 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I was browsing google images looking for some credit picture and then...
p158949-0-mqdefault.jpg
p158949-1-photo195.png

Saw her pic next to a curly pic randomly, and I kinda just stopped scrolling (hmmm ...if Curly Brace were real...)
Clicked on the pic and it brought me to a youtube video :

Unrelated to Cave Story... Still thinking she looked a lot like Curly Brace, I click to see what other videos she uploaded...
Let's Play Cave Story! (Ah, so that's why her picture appeared in google images...)

(The beginning xD) (also jump to 20:40 for Sand Zone/Curly Brace)

The Let's Play is incomplete unfortunately, but watching her LP reminded me when I first started playing Cave Story. Yes, I remember dying to Curly Brace as well xD I play quite differently than when I first started...

Anyway, I just found it unusual/notable since it was a surprise to run into Curly Brace doing a Let's Play :p
(And it's a good reminder of how well the difficulty works for Cave Story, allowing players of all skill to start simple without being bored, and then prod you as things gradually get tougher as you adapt!)

EDIT : Apparently she got Braces just before recording part 4. Truly Curly Braces! :p

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:14 AM
its hilarious when he screams"HUZZAH! I"M BALROG!!!" at the beginning. Shouldn't Balrog have a deeper voice though?

A bit deeper, maybe? But if you mean he should have an actual deep voice then.... No, definitely not.

psh screw deceasedcarb you can't learn anything from his lps now face the awesome might and quality entertainment of FIREBOY116

Oh boy, alright, what am I watching here. I love it though.

I was browsing google images looking for some credit picture and then...
p158949-0-mqdefault.jpg
p158949-1-photo195.png

Saw her pic next to a curly pic randomly, and I kinda just stopped scrolling (hmmm ...if Curly Brace were real...)
Clicked on the pic and it brought me to a youtube video :

Unrelated to Cave Story... Still thinking she looked a lot like Curly Brace, I click to see what other videos she uploaded...
Let's Play Cave Story! (Ah, so that's why her picture appeared in google images...)

(The beginning xD) (also jump to 20:40 for Sand Zone/Curly Brace)

The Let's Play is incomplete unfortunately, but watching her LP reminded me when I first started playing Cave Story. Yes, I remember dying to Curly Brace as well xD I play quite differently than when I first started...

Anyway, I just found it unusual/notable since it was a surprise to run into Curly Brace doing a Let's Play :p
(And it's a good reminder of how well the difficulty works for Cave Story, allowing players of all skill to start simple without being bored, and then prod you as things gradually get tougher as you adapt!)

EDIT : Apparently she got Braces just before recording part 4. Truly Curly Braces! :p

Hehe. I haven't watched the LP you just posted, but actually, I don't think I've ever seen Cave Story LPed by a girl before?? So it would actually be worth looking at, just cause.

As for who is an IRL Curly Brace, well...

cave_story_cosplay_by_xchistox-d5iem3x.jpg

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:45 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
as far as i can tell, WTFS has been abandoned, pretty much.

shame.
He's too busy grooming his moustache if you know what I mean. Still somehow ties to WTFStory though iirc

Oh boy, alright, what am I watching here. I love it though.
You are watching a guy who talks about nachos in movie theaters

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:52 AM
Not anymore
Uh... Did you even read the description/watch the video? It's the fact that he's doing it in character as Balrog.

Uh, who cares?

Oct 24, 2012 at 5:16 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
As for who is an IRL Curly Brace, well...

cave_story_cosplay_by_xchistox-d5iem3x.jpg
She is a killer Curly Brace... :heartrefill:
EDIT : Perhaps examining a dangerous situation, or something has caught her attention?
*stare* ... "Quote! This camera is recording!"

Originally :
Hmmmm... her expression doesn't really capture the emotion of the robot... (something wrong with that statement xD)
I always pictured Curly to be more impulsive; tomboyish maybe?
Overexpressive, compared to a human...

Ah though, this could be her default expression when not interacting with someone. The portraits only cover conversations after all...
Okay I'm done xD

Oct 24, 2012 at 5:57 AM
Uh, who cares?

Are you actually this stupid? It's an "LP" that's unique/unusual. That is literally the point of this thread: to post/discuss LPs that are creative in some way. If you don't "care", and if you have that much trouble following the discussion, then stop posting here and go post somewhere else.

She is a killer Curly Brace... :heartrefill:
EDIT : Perhaps examining a dangerous situation, or something has caught her attention?
*stare* ... "Quote! This camera is recording!"

Originally :
Hmmmm... her expression doesn't really capture the emotion of the robot... (something wrong with that statement xD)
I always pictured Curly to be more impulsive; tomboyish maybe?
Overexpressive, compared to a human...

Ah though, this could be her default expression when not interacting with someone. The portraits only cover conversations after all...
Okay I'm done xD

I pictured Curly in the same way, kind of tomboyish. At the same time, the picture is probably just the girl showing off her cosplay. :D No extra thought put into the expression and all that.

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:39 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Some guy posted a thread about his LP's back whenever. It's like frequent CoD player meets Cave Story, it's hilarious. He only made 2 parts, though.