Unused stuff

Aug 11, 2014 at 5:32 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
According to the Cutting Room Floor, there's unused stuff. The most interesing (for me), is a unused form of Balrog. Here is the page: http://tcrf.net/Cave_Story

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:05 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This object in particular is one of the miniboss battle versions of him which was never used. It consists of a very simple pattern of shooting three of his energy bubble projectiles, jumping to the opposite side of the room in one giant leap, shooting three more, jumping all the way back, and repeating.
A nerfed version of the Grasstown fight.

Anyone who's used Cave Editor, or even just browsed through some sprite sheets, has seen most of this stuff, but it's nice for it to be collected and accessible like this.

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:06 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
There were several minor things I haven't heard of, one of them being you can glitch out of "The Artery" in the original version, and that there was the dialogue from Santa that you can't trigger without the Doctor changing flags at the start of the boss fight.

Still, it's not a full list. Though it does mention an NPC telling the player of the finished demo, it doesn't mention the debug cat entity itself anywhere.

Nice find.

Aug 11, 2014 at 5:55 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I'm wondering if the balrog enemy thats unused in the final game is the same one that is seen in the beta footage near the end?

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:48 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Could be, you never know =o

Depends on how similar beta Cave Story's engine was, I guess, or something like that.

But anyway, I've seen this page many times before. Unused content is very interesting to me, so I love browsing through Tcrf. :3

I'd recommend anyone new to it go look up their favorite or childhood games, you might find something surprising or neat.

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:40 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
If i remember right, the frog with sword of Grassland was used in A Lost Land, or is just a Bute with sword with that sprite.

BtW, i think that the unused Balrog maybe was used for the the little Balrog of the beta and this IA are the rest.

Aug 12, 2014 at 7:21 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
EnlightenedOne said:
it doesn't mention the debug cat entity itself anywhere.
It does actually. Look under the "Oside" header.

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:32 AM
War criminal
Funny thing about the part they put in about the 2 AIR sprites in TextBox.pbm, they failed to see that the small blinking thing is attached to them, making the blinking thing and AIRs separate sprites themselves.

Here's the 2 AIRs and the blinking thing, one of the AIRs is edited:
p186993-0-lzdtvvl.png

When used in the game like this, the blinking animation for AIR will actually work. I'm surprised they didn't notice the 2 identical post signs in the NpcSym.pbm file and call that a tidbit.

Sep 11, 2014 at 7:28 PM
Hyperbolic
Wow, I'm here for years and never knew about this. Great collection of interesting stuff which would be a starting point for theories.

Oct 6, 2018 at 11:13 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
According to the Cutting Room Floor, there's unused stuff. The most interesing (for me), is a unused form of Balrog. Here is the page: http://tcrf.net/Cave_Story
I tried replacing the first Balrog fight with it and it was actually a fully-functioning boss. As far as I can tell, it's just like it was in the beta...

Oct 9, 2018 at 5:56 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
0A Balrog's fight seems very similar to the second fight with Balrog [the one in the bushlands power room].

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:56 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I actually used the unused Balrog fight in a type of boss bash mod I was making.