Undertale

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:39 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I'm almost sure Alphys is an entire reference to Francis of Super Paper Mario, so it might just be that

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:59 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm almost sure Alphys is an entire reference to Francis of Super Paper Mario, so it might just be that
Yeah that whole section of the game almost felt like a copy+paste of francis but with a gender swap added in.

Jan 21, 2017 at 3:39 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I've never played Paper Mario so I wouldn't know. I kind of wish I'd grown up around Nintendo games because I think I'd enjoy them, but the only Nintendo console we have in my house is the Wii and... it's a Wii. Blegh.

It's kind of hard for me to relate as deeply to Undertale as others since it's a style that is less nostalgic and more new for me.

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:33 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I've never played Paper Mario so I wouldn't know. I kind of wish I'd grown up around Nintendo games because I think I'd enjoy them, but the only Nintendo console we have in my house is the Wii and... it's a Wii. Blegh.

It's kind of hard for me to relate as deeply to Undertale as others since it's a style that is less nostalgic and more new for me.

Well there's nothing wrong with that, if you can't relate to Undertale as much as others that's fine, there's nothing wrong about it. For a guy like myself who grew up with pretty much the Nintendo GBA-SP, GBA, Wii, and DS to 3DS, I for one was never a guy into the deep and rich stories of jRPG's like Final Fantasy and such, so from a story stand point Undertale is a good game to get into that, and if you can't relate that much to Undertale, try and actual jRPG like Final fantasy, Fire emblem, maybe even Pokemon Sun and Moon, I've heard great things about the story, or even the connection players get from their characters.

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:34 PM
Well there's nothing wrong with that, if you can't relate to Undertale as much as others that's fine, there's nothing wrong about it. For a guy like myself who grew up with pretty much the Nintendo GBA-SP, GBA, Wii, and DS to 3DS, I for one was never a guy into the deep and rich stories of jRPG's like Final Fantasy and such, so from a story stand point Undertale is a good game to get into that, and if you can't relate that much to Undertale, try and actual jRPG like Final fantasy, Fire emblem, maybe even Pokemon Sun and Moon, I've heard great things about the story, or even the connection players get from their characters.

The problem isn't lack of relation, I can relate to Undertale easily. The problem is nostalgia. I didn't grow up around RPGs like this game so it's retro feel doesn't carry the same meaning for me as it does for others. Then again most of the Undertale fandom (*cringe*) can probably say that.

The problem is I don't like turn-based combat or any kind of combat where I'm not in direct control of the character. I find it incredibly dull. It's why I'm looking at the more recent installments of the "Tales" series, like Tales of Zestiria. I'd also like to play Xenoblade Chronicles but our Wii is not in a great state and probably can't run games anymore.

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:02 PM
lol
The problem isn't lack of relation, I can relate to Undertale easily. The problem is nostalgia. I didn't grow up around RPGs like this game so it's retro feel doesn't carry the same meaning for me as it does for others. Then again most of the Undertale fandom (*cringe*) can probably say that.

The problem is I don't like turn-based combat or any kind of combat where I'm not in direct control of the character. I find it incredibly dull. It's why I'm looking at the more recent installments of the "Tales" series, like Tales of Zestiria. I'd also like to play Xenoblade Chronicles but our Wii is not in a great state and probably can't run games anymore.
So you're saying like a battle, you control a character and run around, hitting the enemy in real time as they hit you?

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:27 AM
So you're saying like a battle, you control a character and run around, hitting the enemy in real time as they hit you?

Yes, like The Elder Scrolls or Fallout (which happen to be open-world as well, but that's not a necessity). I was able to play Undertale because the turn-based combat was incredibly involved (you actually had to avoid stuff, not just press a button and wait to see what RNG decided happened to you). It's why I couldn't get in to Earthbound or Pokemon.

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:53 AM
lol
Yes, like The Elder Scrolls or Fallout (which happen to be open-world as well, but that's not a necessity). I was able to play Undertale because the turn-based combat was incredibly involved (you actually had to avoid stuff, not just press a button and wait to see what RNG decided happened to you). It's why I couldn't get in to Earthbound or Pokemon.
I can definitely agree with that, it's why I like undertale/unitale games, the involved combat, and although I love Pokemon, I do agree with heavier RPGs like EarthBound, there's something about it's combat that is too RNG-ie, I like pokemon for it's simplistic approach to combat, picking moves and then determining on stats and small abilities. With something like Final fantasy for example; you have (Gasps in air); Attack, items, magic, sub-weapons, armor, regular weapons, team members-all-at-once, extreme attacks, so many attack types, ATB (which makes battles feel a little more restricted, hp AND mp, and LOADS of typings that are weak to specific things. It's all extremely complex at face-value and it definitely rubbed me the wrong way, and after playing Pokemon for about all my life, it'd be difficult having to rely on more than one team member (I'm all about solo runs).

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2017 at 12:01 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
LOADS of typings that are weak to specific things.
Isn't this something that Pokemon clearly has in spades? Far more than in any other RPG? Most RPGs settle for between 3 and 6 types. Pokemon has 18.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2017 at 1:10 AM
Isn't this something that Pokemon clearly has in spades? Far more than in any other RPG? Most RPGs settle for between 3 and 6 types. Pokemon has 18.

And the fun thing about RPGs with lots of types is that half the time you can utterly ignore them. Like when I played Pokemon: Emerald on a GBA emulator I was able to pretty much entirely ignore types beyond the three main ones and I did fine.

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:46 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Pokemon is made to be easy to pick up, but it can be surprisingly deep if you are willing to go the distance. It's not so much that it is less complex, but that it can be as simple or as complex as you need it to be.

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:58 AM
lol
Pokemon is made to be easy to pick up, but it can be surprisingly deep if you are willing to go the distance. It's not so much that it is less complex, but that it can be as simple or as complex as you need it to be.
Very true, I guess when talking about Pokemon it was always fun to memorize typings because as a kid it's definitely simplistic, getting older I allowed myself to learn new strategies and make a team closer and closer to my idea of perfection/unstoppable, but looking back I'm sure I wasn't invested into the other RPG's I tried compared to Pokemon which I've played my whole lie unlike something like EarthBound or FinalFantasy.

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:43 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I love the Unitale stuff. I remember playing through some of them. I can't remember what site it was on though. : (

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:32 AM
lol
I love the Unitale stuff. I remember playing through some of them. I can't remember what site it was on though. : (
Do you remember any that stuck in your head? Some of my favorites are Alphys NEO, Undyne Ultra, Undertale RED, and Your battle (=D).

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:07 AM
War criminal
Do you remember any that stuck in your head? Some of my favorites are Alphys NEO, Undyne Ultra, Undertale RED, and Your battle (=D).
I thought RED wasn't made with Unitale, but its own Unity-based engine?

Feb 7, 2017 at 6:43 AM
lol
I thought RED wasn't made with Unitale, but its own Unity-based engine?
I thought we were going off on Unity in general, but yea totally if we're saying just unitale then yea RED is out of it.

Feb 7, 2017 at 5:01 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Only RED. It was the only one to me that was well made. But that's just my opinion.

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:58 PM
lol
Only RED. It was the only one to me that was well made. But that's just my opinion.
I agree, when playing I got so into the battle that I kept thinking this was an actual thing in the game. The genocide battle felt a little redudent after the first few times, but a nice possible precursor to Undyne the Undying.