Undertale

Sep 18, 2015 at 3:15 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Oh okay.

I ended up beating Flowey, and am getting cooking lessons from Undyne? She's so cute omg.

Just got the absolute best ending and OMG was it a rollercoaster ride.

Sep 20, 2015 at 4:12 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
This game is fantastic. I love the idea of sparing enemies and being able to let every enemy in the game live. This is PROBABLY my goatie, buti haven't played armikrog yet so iunno.

Sep 21, 2015 at 1:00 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Man this game's soundtrack is amazing. Be pretty funky to hear spiderqueen or mettaton's battle themes in ORG format.

Sep 21, 2015 at 1:20 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I tried making spider queen's song in orgmaker but i gave up :V

Sep 21, 2015 at 7:34 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I love the idea of sparing enemies and being able to let every enemy in the game live.

This is but one of the big reasons why I like this game so much. I'm really, really glad I decided to buy it and give it a try, for it's a fine mix of traits and feelings that's difficult to describe. The music's stupendous, too.

10/10 got to romance a skeleton

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:36 PM
So after a bit of thinking and exploring I think I can completely outline the Undertale timeline, for those who are a bit confused or feel as if they're missing something:

A long time ago...
  • Human SOULs are extremely strong thanks to a power called "determination". Humans' physical bodies are much stronger than the magical bodies that monsters have. However, because of the "determination" of the human SOUL, it lingers outside of the body, even after death. Humanity discovers that monsters have the ability to absorb human SOULs after the human's death. It would turn the monster into an immensely powerful being.
  • Fearing this power, the humans wage war on the monsters. The humans are victorious and trap the monsters inside a mountain with many twisting and winding caverns known as the Underground. They seal the entrance with a magical Barrier.
Sometime later...
  • Toriel and Azgore create "HOME" in the Ruins of the Underground.
  • A human child who hates humanity falls into the Underground. Asriel Dreemur, son of Toriel and Azgore, finds the child and carries him back to the castle. This is the child that you name at the start of the game. You do not play as the child that you name.
  • Asriel and the human become like brothers. However, the human grows sick, and dies. Asriel, torn by grief, absorbs the human SOUL. Asriel transforms into a being of immense power, but immediately realizes that the human SOUL is also in control of their shared body. The human decides to carry his body to the village, where he wants to use their new power to destroy all of humanity (for reasons unknown to Asriel). Asriel resists, and when he dies, his consciousness becomes scattered.
  • Most monsters decide to move out of the Ruins and into the rest of the Underground. They establish "NEW HOME" at the capital.
After Asriel's death...
  • Azgore in his grief orders that all humans that fall into the Underground thereafter would be killed. Not truly wanting to fight or kill anyone, he says that he will destroy the barrier and humanity once he had obtained seven human souls, and secretly hoped that none would ever appear.
  • Toriel, disgusted with Azgore, leaves him and seals the Ruins off from the rest of the Underground.
  • Alphys meets a ghost (whose name is unknown... Papyrus incorrectly names her Happstablook, the happy ghost, but this is stated to be incorrect) at a "human fan club" meeting. After a while, Alphys and the ghost become friends, and Alphys constructs a robotic body for the ghost. Thereafter, the ghost is known as Mettaton.
  • Azgore orders Dr. Alphys to run experiments on the nature of the SOUL. In her experiments, Alphys discovers "determination" and tries to inject it into monsters so that their SOULs would be more powerful. However, the magical bodies of the monsters are unable to handle the power of "determination" and melt into one another, creating distorted monstrosities. Dr. Alphys hides the failed experiments from the rest of the Underground.
  • Six humans are killed and their SOULs captured.
  • Azgore begins training Undyne.
  • Dr. Alphys runs tests on creating a "vessel" to contain and control the seven human SOULs when they are obtained. She decides to use Azgore's favorite type of golden flower to store the vessel. Alphys becomes curious as to what would happen if a being without a SOUL gained the will to live, and began running tests.
  • Asriel's consciousness finds its way into the vessel. Confused and scared, Asriel escapes the laboratory and finds sanctuary in Azgore's castle. Without a soul, Asriel is unable to feel love or compassion, and is terrified by this. From this point on, Asriel is known as Flowey.
  • Flowey attempts to kill himself, deciding that a world without love is worse than no world at all. He discovers his ability to save, load, and reset the timeline. He repeatedly attempts to kill himself, before loading in fear of what would happen to a soul-less consciousness after death.
  • Flowey uses his powers to help people. Being bored with that, he tries a number of other things. Eventually learning exactly how people would react to certain things or events, he begins to grow bored, sadistic, and demented. He adopts a "Kill or be killed." policy.
  • Undyne begins training Papyrus.
The beginning of Undertale...
  • A child named Frisk, who is very similar in nature and appearance to the original human child whose soul was absorbed by Asriel, falls into the Underground. Flowey loses the ability to save and load, and being extremely lonely, immediately attaches himself to Frisk, and calls him after the name of the original child.
Then, depending on the ending you get, different stuff happens. I won't spoil that. All of the information here is not inferred... its pieced together from information you get directly from each ending, secrets, etc.

EDIT:

Oops, pressed wrong button, one second...

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2015 at 2:14 AM
Sep 22, 2015 at 2:31 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
It's called "Temmie Village". The track.

I know the name of the track; how do you think I was able to replicate it without finding it online or in-game in the Temmie Village? I called it "Secret Undertale track" to try to surprise people with the song... though I guess my humor fell flat. :/

Sep 22, 2015 at 2:36 AM
Professional Whatever
To be fair the game does mention temmie village before you find out how to get there, so there's no real surprise in finding out that it exists

Sep 22, 2015 at 3:08 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
To be fair the game does mention temmie village before you find out how to get there, so there's no real surprise in finding out that it exists

Is it bad that I almost completely skipped Temmie Village before... someone gave me a hint as to where it was?

hOI

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2015 at 3:11 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"

I wasn't worried about spoiling that Temmie Village exists, just thought it would be funny for people to open the track expecting to see a transcription of Nyeh heh heh or Spider Dance or something and finding Temmie Village with cat percussion instead.

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:45 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
So, PolarStarGames bought a copy of this game for me and I've really been liking it so far. I played the demo a looong time back (like, even before the thread was made here), so I already know a bit of this, but it's been really fun anyway. I hope to finish it by the end of the week. I already feel like it's going to be one of my favorite indie games (and games in general, honestly).

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:37 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Hopefully i'm not being an ass by saying this but i couldn't really get into this game?

The first half of the game was really great but then during the latter half it gradually became this nonstop stream of jokes and the plot just vanished untill the final stretch. I can understand why people dig this game, but it didn't click for me... Shame, i really loved the demo.

Sep 23, 2015 at 11:50 PM
Hopefully i'm not being an ass by saying this but i couldn't really get into this game?

The first half of the game was really great but then during the latter half it gradually became this nonstop stream of jokes and the plot just vanished untill the final stretch. I can understand why people dig this game, but it didn't click for me... Shame, i really loved the demo.

It depends on the ending you get and how much exploring you do. In reality, there is plot layered within the jokes and comedy.

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:28 AM
Professional Whatever
Well yeah but a large portion of the game is straight up jokes, so I can see where elec is coming from

Sep 29, 2015 at 1:09 AM
leader of the meme team feat. tom, snaf and polad
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I actually haven't made a post in here since the game came out despite being super hyped about it + talking about it nonstop SINCE it came out so I guess I'll do that.

Undertale is probably one of my favorite games..........ever????????????????

I thought about that statement for a while too. The game basically just came out so it's a tough call. But it's made me happier then any game I've played in recent memory, so it deserves a spot in my top...3 games, or something. I don't want to rate it too highly because I'm probably still suffering from hype withdrawal. But I enjoyed this game so much that it's just unreal. I can't remember the last time a game has made me feel so rewarded for beating it. And so awful for going back, and being a bad person. It's just so good.

Goddamnit I've been thinking about Undertale for like a week get out of my head Toby Fox.

The only thing I really have to say is that yeah, the jokes can wear thin. Not on my first playthrough, no. I enjoyed them a lot. But I feel like when I come back to this game I'll be skipping a lot of dialogue I've already heard. A LOT of dialogue. Unless I wait and play the game yearly or something the jokes will basically have lost their charm and serve only to slow me down on my way to doing gameplay related things.

That's a minor complaint though. Maybe I'll have something more scathing to say about this game in like a month or two when I realize I actually hated X part of the game.

If you're on the fence, BUY Undertale before you get spoiled. Because the internet is raining down spoilers like hellfire jesus what are you doing in an undertale thread without having played the game you fool GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:03 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I'm at the final boss for the genocide ending now. Wish me luck because...
I'm about to have a bad time!