Turnabout Story - an Episodic Series

Jan 17, 2010 at 11:34 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

(video may still be processing)

The video should explain all. I have many ideas, but I need to come with a solid storyline first :p

Comments?

--

I have literally NO patience for making music, as mentioned, and, as you can probably tell my the facepic used, I suck at making them too.

Of course, in the Cave story spirit, there will be fighting and platforming (monsters stealing evidence, etc)

--

And, since only so many facepics are possible, I'll be making the game episodically, with one case per EXE. There will most likely be a VERY large gap between cases, but still.
--

So yeah:
tl;dr =
Making Phoenix Wright mod. Need spriters, facepic, and music makers. HELP!

OBJECTION!!!!!!

Jan 17, 2010 at 11:52 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Re: OBJECTION! Story

Ace Attorney game in the Cave Story engine sounds grossly inappropriate. But it might be great, if you do it well. As for comments, well, I think it would be better to stick to the original's naming theme, and call the game something like "Turnabout Story", doubly so if you intend to write multiple cases.

Jan 18, 2010 at 12:01 AM

T-Jack said:
Ace Attorney game in the Cave Story engine sounds grossly inappropriate. But it might be great, if you do it well. As for comments, well, I think it would be better to stick to the original's naming theme, and call the game something like "Turnabout Story", doubly so if you intend to write multiple cases.

I wasn't really sure about the name. All I could think of was Phoenix Wright's Story or OBJECTION! Story, but Turnabout Story is possible too.

OBJECTION! Story: Case 1 (insert case name here)
OBJECTION! Story: Turnabout OBJECTION!
OBJECTION! Story: Phoenix Wright's Turnabout?

Turnabout Story
Turnabout Story 2: Turnabout OBJECTION!
Turnabout Story 3: Phoenix Wright's Turnabout

Hm....

Want me to PM you what I am thinking of so far? I don't really want to post it to everyone...

It'll be sorta like the games, with 2 segments. A Trial segment, and an evidence segment. The only difference is that the evidence segment is a little less puzzle solving (go here, do that, then go here, and do this with the item you got back there) and more action, because for a CS mod, reading text is only half the fun.

Jan 18, 2010 at 12:44 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"

I...
Don't know what to say...
All I can do is wish you luck. ._.
And provide occasional TSC halp.

Jan 18, 2010 at 12:56 AM

DragonBoots said:
I...
Don't know what to say...
All I can do is wish you luck. ._.
And provide occasional TSC halp.

Is that meant in a good way or a bad way? I can work on it without sprites, but I don't want to release it like that. Working in the storyline currently. I have other obligations as well -_-

oh, an TSC help is VERY appreciated

:p

Jan 18, 2010 at 12:59 AM

igotsthepower9000 said:
Is that meant in a good way or a bad way? I can work on it without sprites, but I don't want to release it like that. Working in the storyline currently. I have other obligations as well -_-

oh, an TSC help is VERY appreciated

:p

Can I just say that I have objections? D;
But yeah.
TSC will be my middle name when the form goes through.

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:11 AM

DragonBoots said:
Can I just say that I have objections? D;
But yeah.
TSC will be my middle name when the form goes through.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you think Phoenix Wright + Platforming = NO

That's what I thought at first, and I don't think it (or anything else, for that matter) can live up to the epicness of the original games.

All I can say is that it will be very text heavy, but with some Cave Story characters strewn throughout. I can confirm Misery is there, because there needs to be SOME reason Phoenix is on the island. The first case, tentatively named Turnabout Undertaking explains that, and introduces the reason why this once ruleless island now goes by rules of law. The first one will definitly be a hit or miss.

If that's not your objection, then I'm you must HOLD IT! And tell me what problems you foresee/have.

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:24 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This strikes me as being madness on the scale of our beloved Ryuuoutan, however...
"Though this be madness, yet there be method in't."

I wish you the best of luck.

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:34 AM

Noxid said:
This strikes me as being madness on the scale of our beloved Ryuuoutan, however...
"Though this be madness, yet there be method in't."

I wish you the best of luck.

Shoot me, but what's Ryuuoutan?

Liked the saying though.

I foresee myself working on this storyline for the next few hours.

Bonus: anyone who gives me a good Phoenix Wright MyChar.pbm or music gets beta testing priviliges. I need cross examination music (preferably from PW: Ace Attorney) for starters. Also, any epic boss theme is good.

Onto fulfil other necessary obligations first. :(

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:43 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."

igotsthepower9000 said:
Shoot me, but what's Ryuuoutan?

I couldn't have said it better myself; Ryuuoutan is a former member here that seemed to do everything in their power to contribute as little as possible in as many posts as possible, many of which were nonsensical rants and accusations about being insulted by people who were not even talking to or about Ryuu. You should know that I meant your madness is proportional in scope, not caliber. This is a very different type of madness which I do not have the acuity to define.

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:47 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"

To better explain, Ryu was this: Immature, easily offended, spouted random gibberish, highly unproductive, quite useless, and annoying as hell.

Seriously, talking to it would give you a migraine. And yes, I call Ryu "it", for I never truly figured out what Ryu was.

Edityness: Looking forward to this. Never saw it before, so I'm rather curious as to how you'll attempt this.

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:51 AM

Noxid said:
I couldn't have said it better myself; Ryuuoutan is a former member here that seemed to do everything in their power to contribute as little as possible in as many posts as possible, many of which were nonsensical rants and accusations about being insulted by people who were not even talking to or about Ryuu. You should know that I meant your madness is proportional in scope, not caliber. This is a very different type of madness which I do not have the acuity to define.

The past tense implies that he was either banned or left the forums. Or just stop posting.

I'll admit this is a pretty big task, but in the actuality,if executed correctly, doesn't require more than sprite, music, TSC, and map editing. No assembly here. Anyway, unlike the Hell Mod contest, this doesn't have a deadline.

EDIT: ALREADY 2 PAGES??

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:12 AM

JacobX891 said:
Roflmao
Here's hoping this doesn't fall through.

Yes. Cheers to that.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:07 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"

Well, to me, this doesn't seem like that great of an idea.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:09 AM

Xander said:
Well, to me, this doesn't seem like that great of an idea.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I only ask that if you dislike it you refrain from hating upon it, or at least look at where it goes.

We'll see.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:12 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"

Well, I'm just saying that this might not be the best way to make a fan game.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:29 AM

Xander said:
Well, I'm just saying that this might not be the best way to make a fan game.

Fan game to Phoenix wright? Or Cave Story? I think it'll be interesting.

Anyways, is there anybody who will want to read over my storyline for the 1st "case"? It's nice to get other peoples input.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:53 AM

igotsthepower9000 said:
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you think Phoenix Wright + Platforming = NO

That's what I thought at first, and I don't think it (or anything else, for that matter) can live up to the epicness of the original games.

All I can say is that it will be very text heavy, but with some Cave Story characters strewn throughout. I can confirm Misery is there, because there needs to be SOME reason Phoenix is on the island. The first case, tentatively named Turnabout Undertaking explains that, and introduces the reason why this once ruleless island now goes by rules of law. The first one will definitly be a hit or miss.

If that's not your objection, then I'm you must HOLD IT! And tell me what problems you foresee/have.

My objections lay in the roots of something stupid.
>_>
I rest me case.

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:00 AM

DragonBoots said:
My objections lay in the roots of something stupid.
>_>
I rest me case.

It's okay. I'm curious as to what these objections are. No tiny detail can be overlooked in a court of law! :(

If you're that curious, wanna take up the offer and proofread the story? (when I'm done of course)

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:12 AM

Eh, I'll help with TSC as I said.

My beef is that this is a catagory T mod: Transposition of a game onto an engine not designed for it (Catagory S is anything by Ryu, catagory U is pre/sequels to Cave Story).
Generally I've found that such an undertaking lacks the prestige of either source game, and is usually vaguely amusing at best and unplayable at worst.
I'm not saying don't do it, but you will face harsher critisism from me.
If you pull this off, though, I will be very impressed.