TSC support for Visual Studio Code + other cool stuff

Dec 26, 2020 at 12:14 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Hello, modding community! Happy holidays!

I'm very excited to announce vscode-tsc -- an extension for Visual Studio Code that adds support for the TSC format.

Features:
  • Syntax highlighting
  • Editing decrypted or encrypted TSC files (thanks to @alula)
  • Hover information (command description + parameter syntax)
  • Auto-completion
  • Command syntax diagnostics (will let you know if you're trying to invoke a command with too few/many parameters)
  • Event duplication checking (warns you if an event ID has been defined before in the file)
  • Message overflow checking (will warn you if a line exceeds the maximum length in a message box)
  • Event folding
  • Fully configurable using a project-wide .tscrc.json file.
You can install the extension from this page: Cave Story TSC - Visual Studio Marketplace.

The extension implements the TSC Language Server, which makes it possible to implement awesome language-related features in an editor-agnostic fashion. This way you can configure pretty much any editor that supports the language server protocol to use it (we tested it with Sublime Text, IntelliJ IDEA, and Neovim). The language server controls everything listed above except the syntax highlighting and the decryption/encryption part.

Together with the Visual Studio Code extension and the language server, I'm also excited to announce our attempt to standardize TSC definitions and settings in editors -- the TSC Run Configuration. .tscrc.json is a JSON file that contains definitions for TSC commands, items, portraits, and more. This file powers the TSC Language Server (it's bundled into it but it can be easily extended in your own workspace).
You can read the official specification for the TSC Run Configuration format here: TSC Run Configuration JSON (.tscrc.json) Specification - Nimble Bun Works Notes and Drafts

The diagram below explains how these tools work together:

p374838-0-diagram.png

Of course, all of these tools are free and open-source. You can find the sources here:
I hope some people will find these tools useful in a way and I hope we will be able to make more similarly useful tools in the future! If you have any questions, suggestions, feature requests, bug reports, etc., let me know in this thread!

Dec 26, 2020 at 12:20 AM
"Huzzah!"
can confirm this is, as the kids say, pretty poggers. event folding/10.

Dec 26, 2020 at 3:10 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
What a nice gift to give the community on Christmas day, this is really cool. Admittedly, if I were still modding, I would probably still use the built-in editors in Booster's Lab and CE, but I can see how some people could find this to be useful. Thanks for your hard work!