True Hell Challenge (redacted)

Rating?

• Total voters
Aug 11, 2017 at 10:49 AM
"Huzzah!"
--This does not represent who I am as a modder now; So I'm removing the download for good.--​

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 2:52 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Hey, this has the entire WiiWare soundtrack, and that's not good. Better delete that before NICALiS takes legal action.

Aug 11, 2017 at 2:53 PM
"Huzzah!"

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 2:56 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
If you were to replace it with the original soundtrack, you would be able to avoid the crippling 180mb filesize just by using ORGs instead. You do not need an OGG for every song if you're using only a few OGGs.

Aug 11, 2017 at 2:57 PM
"Huzzah!"

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 4:06 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I feel cheated. I was promised insane level design, and instead I got this.
p359692-0-lj12r2.png

SPIKE HELL MODS ARE FUN, AMIRITE??? :^)

Also, you dare call this mod "Hello Story" and it doesn't focus on a penguin? 0/10

Aug 11, 2017 at 4:09 PM
"Huzzah!"

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 4:31 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
• Profile.dat isn't really needed.
• I kinda like how the game just resets if you say you aren't ready. Probably sounds unecessary to some people but whatever.
• Adding a few seconds just because you want that life capsule just so you don't go 3-life is kinda meh.
p359694-0-lp4gia.png

• The guy who wrote the arms descriptions was probably shot.
• Why are my weapons dropping to level 1 if the only thing that could be leveled a stored spur.
• Hate the music, no further comment needed.
• The sudden surprise of having spikes directly under you out of nowhere is bad. It's kinda rude to not let the player be prepared for what's to come, but this might as well be for difficulty.
• Actually screw this i'm going to see if easy mode is possible, tight boosting between spike hallways are kinda annoying.
• Blind jumps are really terrible if they expect you to know what's coming up, and this one really does this.
p359694-1-y6rj0w.png

• Yeah this is way too tight, i know this is meant as a challenge but did you even beat it yourself?

I'm just gonna stop here because i don't want to try anymore. my two biggest complaints are not only the tightness, but also the terrible music choice.
I guess there are easily worse mods out there, but a mod that is pixel perfect is really nothing for me, and I honestly question that you could manage to go through this yourself (which makes it tough to appreciate difficulty sometimes).

Aug 11, 2017 at 4:34 PM
War criminal
If you get on the VERY edge of a block with a spike on it you wont get hurt. This is a pixel perfect spike jump.
It takes practice.
Thomas Xin, is that you?

Aug 11, 2017 at 4:38 PM
"Huzzah!"

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 4:43 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Aug 11, 2017 at 4:45 PM
"Huzzah!"

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 4:46 PM
War criminal
Its called true hell. Its the hardest mod RareBeeph And I have made. Its not that easy. On easy mode theres save points and life refills in each room. But without easy mode, no save points or life refills.
You do understand that not everyone likes Kaizo mods, right? They don't have the same game playing capabilities as you guys do. Everyone has their limits. In terms of level design, spike hells and areas that forces the player to make spike jumps are considered cheap and unfair to many players. No one is having fun with them!

Aug 11, 2017 at 4:47 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Its called true hell. Its the hardest mod RareBeeph And I have made. Its not that easy. On easy mode theres save points and life refills in each room. But without easy mode, no save points or life refills.
That does not answer my question.
Besides, there's many other ways to make good hard mods other than just having yet another spike hell.

Aug 11, 2017 at 4:51 PM
"Huzzah!"

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 4:59 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I think there should at least be text in the second option, where 'load' and 'new' usually are (especially since you do actually have save points) but I like the style the 'go' is in.
You could have a different starting music for the wait room. I'd go for either a comical contrast or a sort of pump-up feel. Right now it's sort of just out of place.
The title screen blocks could be a little less saturated- it's just bordering on hurting my eyes. The blocks seem to just be hanging in space, which sort of irks me. You could get that affect by using different sized blocks like the bigger marble ones in that, set to the left or right to give a zig-zag. You're also only using one block here, which looks janky, and the ceiling goes to the top of the screen but the floor doesn't go to the bottom.
You should collect the life capsule before the nikumaru counter starts up. Try triggering it where you'd have the black wind.
Speaking of, that's more a fluff thing and you don't really need it since there isn't any weapon energy to collect before it.
Every time I die, it screams 'RUN' at me. This is a little bit annoying. I'd suggest switching to that tune at a later room if you really have your heart set on using it.
my suggestion would be to widen the corridors just a bit and actually make it easier. being hard is interesting and makes people want to actually play it, but if it's bordering on impossible then it's just frustrating.
there should also be more of an elegance to the maps; right now you have long, consistent lines of spikes and solid fills of individual blocks. A good place to look for what I'm talking about is pixel's actual maps, where he switches it up with what blocks are filling large spaces and usually has a sort of generic 'foreground' 2x2 set of blocks like the dark ones in grassland or the tan rocky ones in mimiga village. It looks good with the rightmost wall in the life capsule room, things similar to that.
yeah no I give I'm not that good at the booster.
Also, make sure it's conceivably possible to land without taking damage in places where your booster would run out.
EDIT: Also, instead of having easy mode just add life points, you could set the spike to be the spike entity and make some of them not appear if the easy mode flag is set- something along those lines. Giving people wider margins for turns and such.
OK, that's a lot, but I swear I'm just trying to help.
that's really all I have to say, but don't get discouraged that what you made wasn't perfect at first. I like the general idea of it, for sure, and you seem to have a fine grasp of TSC and such, so you should be set if you can just get general game-making patterns and such down.

Aug 11, 2017 at 5:02 PM
"Huzzah!"

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 5:07 PM
War criminal
This is Pre Alpha? This is supposed to be easier?
p359704-0-7o8vu0.png

I give up.

Aug 11, 2017 at 7:15 PM
"Huzzah!"

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 7:31 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
• Yeah this is way too tight, i know this is meant as a challenge but did you even beat it yourself?

I have no-hitted the first room on Normal Kaizo mode. I'll get back to you on the others.

Also, ChampDude chose the music, and (If it hasn't changed since), I kinda like it... :p
I guess it's just a matter of taste, but we'll consider changing it (And all that other stuff, but most of the gameplay/design gripes are to be expected from Kaizo levels)
Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited: