Translation Mod?

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:51 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Is there any sort of mod for Cave Story + (on windows) that lets you have the Aeon Genesis translation, instead of the NiCALiS one, which I don't like.
Thanks!
Just copy and paste the dialogue from vanilla to CS+ with a TSC editor.

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:55 PM
Based Member
Actually yes, there is a mod for CS+ that does just that. Download the mod here and use Plus Porter to install it. Thanks goes to Loaffy for properly formatting those scripts for CS+ for us. Hard to believe it's been over 5 years since he shared those with us...

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:34 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Actually yes, there is a mod for CS+ that does just that. Download the mod here and use Plus Porter to install it. Thanks goes to Loaffy for properly formatting those scripts for CS+ for us. Hard to believe it's been over 5 years since he shared those with us...
Thanks! I have opened the 'PlusPorter.jar' file from the 'Plus Porter 1.1.0.1' folder. Now what do I do with the 'AGTPStory' folder?

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:19 PM
Based Member
Go to "File" -> "Open CS+ directory", and select the executable file located in a valid Cave Story+ installation. If the installation has been successfully verified, you will be able to access all the tools of Plus Porter. Next, go to "File" -> "Open port...", browse to the "AGTPStory" folder, and click "Open." After the port has been loaded, go to "File" -> "Apply port", and a window will open up listing all mods currently installed in that game of CS+, and the order in which they'll be listed in the challenge menu (with the one at the top appearing on the main menu). You are able to arrange the mods in whatever order you want the challenge menu to list them, and then click the "Apply port!" button to apply the port to your Cave Story+ installation. Exit out of Plus Porter, and you'll now be able to experience the mod in Cave Story+.

If there are any other questions you have, refer to the readme.

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:19 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Go to "File" -> "Open CS+ directory", and select the executable file located in a valid Cave Story+ installation. If the installation has been successfully verified, you will be able to access all the tools of Plus Porter. Next, go to "File" -> "Open port...", browse to the "AGTPStory" folder, and click "Open." After the port has been loaded, go to "File" -> "Apply port", and a window will open up listing all mods currently installed in that game of CS+, and the order in which they'll be listed in the challenge menu (with the one at the top appearing on the main menu). You are able to arrange the mods in whatever order you want the challenge menu to list them, and then click the "Apply port!" button to apply the port to your Cave Story+ installation. Exit out of Plus Porter, and you'll now be able to experience the mod in Cave Story+.

If there are any other questions you have, refer to the readme.

Sorry, I haven't been here for a while because I'm a new member and I forgot about this. Anyway, I came here today and remembered this. Anyway, it worked, but it wasn't what I expected. Instead of applying to the game, it added itself under 'Challenges...' with different saves and no difficulty options. Would this apply the translation to the entire game (under 'Story Mode', instead of 'Challenges...')?:
https://www.cavestory.org/forums/th...nal-proper-aeon-genesis-script-and-more.3788/

Thanks sincerely for the help, and sorry for the delay!

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2017 at 3:12 AM
Based Member
Sorry, I haven't been here for a while because I'm a new member and I forgot about this. Anyway, I came here today and remembered this. Anyway, it worked, but it wasn't what I expected. Instead of applying to the game, it added itself under 'Challenges...' with different saves and no difficulty options. Would this apply the translation to the entire game (under 'Story Mode', instead of 'Challenges...')?:
https://www.cavestory.org/forums/th...nal-proper-aeon-genesis-script-and-more.3788/

Thanks sincerely for the help, and sorry for the delay!
That's right, Plus Porter adds a new mod under the "challenges" menu instead of editing the base game. I am not really in favor of changing the base scripts or maps, which is why I didn't add support for that. Following the instructions verbatim of the link you gave wouldn't alter the normal story mode, you'd need to do a bit more. You'd need to replace the cave story+/data/base/Stage folder with the "Stage" folder in the zip archive, and you'd also want to replace the files in the base folder (ArmsItem.tsc, Credit.tsc, etc.) with the counterparts in the zipped archive that are outside of the Stage folder. Then that should change the story mode to the AGTP translation.

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:52 AM
That's right, Plus Porter adds a new mod under the "challenges" menu instead of editing the base game. I am not really in favor of changing the base scripts or maps, which is why I didn't add support for that. Following the instructions verbatim of the link you gave wouldn't alter the normal story mode, you'd need to do a bit more. You'd need to replace the cave story+/data/base/Stage folder with the "Stage" folder in the zip archive, and you'd also want to replace the files in the base folder (ArmsItem.tsc, Credit.tsc, etc.) with the counterparts in the zipped archive that are outside of the Stage folder. Then that should change the story mode to the AGTP translation.
I've been pretty busy lately, but I'll try that out in a few days when I get some free time. Thanks! You've been very helpful.

Mar 26, 2017 at 5:24 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks! I have opened the 'PlusPorter.jar' file from the 'Plus Porter 1.1.0.1' folder. Now what do I do with the 'AGTPStory' folder?
Dude it's not amazing, do you want people to destroy this game...? Like undertale?

Mar 26, 2017 at 5:57 PM
Dude it's not amazing, do you want people to destroy this game...? Like undertale?
??? I don't quite understand what you mean? Why did you quote that specific quote? Are you saying AGTP isn't amazing, or Cave Story isn't amazing? And what does this have to do with Undertale. Cave Story and Undertale are literally nothing alike. So many questions...

Also, Hayden, I'm having some issues and my game is all screwed up now, but I think I know the issue and how to fix it, while keeping the AGTP translation. Good thing I made a backup!

Edit: Yay! I fixed it! My saves work, no more crashing, and I have the AGTP translation now! Thanks man, I have always wanted to do this with Cave Story+.
Now, if only here was a way to do this with the Wii and DSi ware ports...

Second Edit: Well, in my testing, I found out that the Boss time attack and Sanctuary time attack challenges don't work (everything else does, though). At first I thought that this was due to the translation pack, but when I restored from backup, they were still screwed up. I think this issue has existed way before now, I've just not noticed since I almost never go into those modes. So now I'm reinstalling, and I'll fix it tomorrow. I've put way too much time into Cave Story today.

Third Edit:
Huzzah! I did it.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2017 at 10:05 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
??? I don't quite understand what you mean? Why did you quote that specific quote? Are you saying AGTP isn't amazing, or Cave Story isn't amazing? And what does this have to do with Undertale. Cave Story and Undertale are literally nothing alike. So many questions...

Also, Hayden, I'm having some issues and my game is all screwed up now, but I think I know the issue and how to fix it, while keeping the AGTP translation. Good thing I made a backup!

Edit: Yay! I fixed it! My saves work, no more crashing, and I have the AGTP translation now! Thanks man, I have always wanted to do this with Cave Story+.
Now, if only here was a way to do this with the Wii and DSi ware ports...

Second Edit: Well, in my testing, I found out that the Boss time attack and Sanctuary time attack challenges don't work (everything else does, though). At first I thought that this was due to the translation pack, but when I restored from backup, they were still screwed up. I think this issue has existed way before now, I've just not noticed since I almost never go into those modes. So now I'm reinstalling, and I'll fix it tomorrow. I've put way too much time into Cave Story today.
''It's amazing that this game is still going strong and attracting new fans'' Most of these fans are from Undertale... and if you don't know, Undertale fans are cancerous, they destroyed Undertale community completely and they can destroy Cave Story community too! You know what i mean now? We must defend our Cave Story community!

Mar 27, 2017 at 5:29 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I think "our" community has already weathered most of that storm (?) and can handle whatever's left, friendo

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:26 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
''It's amazing that this game is still going strong and attracting new fans'' Most of these fans are from Undertale... and if you don't know, Undertale fans are cancerous, they destroyed Undertale community completely and they can destroy Cave Story community too! You know what i mean now? We must defend our Cave Story community!
I do not know what you mean. While I have seen Undertale fans who are either overly obsessive or make cringy content, they haven't really detracted from what a nice little game it was. Cave Story has had those same kind of fans before and as DoubleThink has said, this community that has lasted around 13 years now isn't going to die over gaining fanatics from the Undertale fandom.

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:19 AM

Ah, so you were talking about my signature. I guess I can see what you are saying, but I agree with George and Double Think.

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:03 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
Oh please.

Or Cave Story attracts new players because it's a critically acclaimed title mentioned in countless "Best Of" lists. Is there anything whatsoever to substantiate your claim that all new fans are just Undertale players spilling into our "community?" If anything it was the other way around. Undertale had a large following on this forum well before crossing over into the mainstream eye, and most of its early supporters were fans of classic indies such as Cave Story.

Also, I would advise you not to reply to someone's signature in a thread, instead using the message feature on their profile page. Forums take a while to get used to, so I can understand that, but just try to be more courteous next time.