Translating "Hacker 9" to English?

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:58 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Re: Translating "Hack 9" to English?

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
*Shisakukatsuta
I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be Shisaku (試作) Cutter -- Prototype Cutter

Incidentally, I have a bunch of notes on the contents of Hack9 from my playthrough a few years ago, and would be happy to do all the translation... if someone can figure out how to decompress, extract, and reinsert the script. It's so good, it really would be nice to have it available in other languages....

I realize the thread's pretty old, but please forgive the resurrect :)

Mar 10, 2010 at 12:10 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."

EchoNull said:
if someone can figure out how to decompress, extract, and reinsert the script.
Working on that (whenever I get the time or actually remember to actually do so :D).

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:08 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."

EchoNull said:
I realize the thread's pretty old, but please forgive the resurrect :)
Actually, this forum encourages resurrection when you have something to add. So don't worry. :confused:

Mar 12, 2010 at 1:59 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

Don't worry. It's good to resurrect old threads. It gets people's interests back. Yeah, Andwhyisit is working on the data pointer. We don't have a real translator, so that would be great. do you mind if I see your notes? You can e-mail me if you'd rather do that than post it.

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:25 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"

Errr, I might have something to add to this.
A while ago I was doing a search on information on the TA data format when I found a program called Dragon Unpacker (No relation).

The Homepage

If ya figure out the format, maybe create a DLL for it and pass it on?
And the HyperRipper feature may help, too.

Mar 16, 2010 at 12:58 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

andwhyisit sent this to me yesterday. I thought I'd put it here so you could see it.

Making progress btw, but it is slow going. I really need to create a script insertion tool to speed things up, and an automatic pointer to address converter would be useful as well. I have gotten quite used to editing the pointer data though.

I have a dump that EchoNull can use btw:
http://cavestory.org/sjistest/hack9dump.php

The pointers are stored as "(text address)+400e00" in reverse byte order. So if the text is located at $08aaa8 then the pointer is "A8B848". Just figured I'd tell you in case you or anyone else was interested.

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:37 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

I can't believe this topic has been revived...Still hoping this gets a full translation! ^_^

I've been wanting to play through it again too...Its a shame almost no one knows about this game.

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:15 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
#NecroBump, sorry about that.
I have been very interested in this game lately, and I would like to see its translation complete. I will help in any way possible; however, I do not really have any useful skills for this project. Just trying to revive interest in this though. Sorry again for reviving such an old thread.

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:59 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I could build a dumper and inserter. I'm a little more experienced than I was back then. Also I need to find a way to move the text in question to the end of the exe where there is room, which was my original stumbling block, however I am more confident these days that I can get around that. However I can't translate anything. Unless we have someone with the skills and interest willing to translate I can't see this ever going anywhere.

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:01 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
andwhyisit said:
Also I need to find a way to move the text in question to the end of the exe where there is room, which was my original stumbling block, however I am more confident these days that I can get around that.
CE and by extension BL can handle this with PE32 exe's, if you need to I can send you some notes on that
but obviously we'd need a translateur first

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:06 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I could do a machine translation, then use my extensive grammar knowledge to make the English proper

Edit: Just looked at the machine translation from a few pages ago, and it makes zero sense!

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:09 AM
Professional Whatever
Well no shit you can't just Google translate a mod from Japanese and expect it to make sense

E: oh after looking through the thread I might have mistaken machine translation for something else, if so my bad

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:14 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Doors said:
Well no shit you can't just Google translate a mod from Japanese and expect it to make sense
It isn't a mod.

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:14 AM
Professional Whatever
That doesn't change my point tho

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:55 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Actually, I put some of the text into Google translate, and it would seem that Google translate has gotten better since a few years ago. I will try to get all the text machine translated again and hope it makes better sense.