Translating "Hacker 9" to English?

Oct 4, 2009 at 9:20 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I'm pretty sure most everyone here has heard of the CS mod "Hack 9." It's probably the best one ever done. The only problem is that it's in Japanese. The original one was in Japanese, too, so it's obvious that it can be translated. The only question: How? Where would we begin, as far as the software goes? It's not the actual translation that would be the problem, but how to MOD the game itself into English.

Is there anyone here with enough experience that they could fill me in on how to accomplish this? How was it done with the original Cave Story?

As far as I know, the Japanese game can't be opened with Sue's Workshop or another modding program.

If someone has already translated the game and I just haven't figured that out, I'd appreciate it if somebody would show me where to get it.

If you don't have Hack 9, you can download it (in Japanese) at:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?lgtyymnwb0e

Oct 4, 2009 at 9:37 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
it isn't a mod.
or a hack.

and has nothing to do with cave story. (eg, it isn't a mod or hack of it)

as for the original purpose of this thread, I don't know.
maybe somebody more speakingly of japan could help...? (andwhy?)

Oct 4, 2009 at 9:38 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Guys, please do this.

With all the modders here, I'm sure it'd be easier than you say to add the words. This is, I think, the first mod I ever found.
Can anyone tell me what this is about?

Guys, please do this.

EDIT: Really?

Oct 4, 2009 at 9:39 PM
Oct 4, 2009 at 9:45 PM
I expect that if it was easy to do, it would have already been done. Again, it's not the actual translation that would be difficult, but the actual putting the translation INTO the game.

Oct 4, 2009 at 9:47 PM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."
Sick Bastard said:
I'm fairly certain it is.

The way the files are arranged and the file types.
This looks nothing like cave story...

Oct 4, 2009 at 9:52 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
No.
It's an own game.
Just like The Underside.

Hack 9 uses MP3 and stuff.
Try that with CS.
Hacking that would not be worth it.
You could code an own game easier.

Oct 4, 2009 at 9:59 PM
I repeat:

HACK 9 IS NOT A FREAKING MOD OF FREAKING CAVESTORY, DIPSHIZ.

File format is compressed, the code is nothing alike, and there really is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to suggest it's a mod, besides the fact that it's a platformer and you freaking shoot stuff.

So please, give me a reason to believe that it's a hack, when I have so many reasons to believe it's not.
Show me the core of your so hardly defended beliefs.
SHOW ME!

grrrr....

other stuff I'm grumpy about:
Brian capitalized mod. It's not like it's an acronym or anything.
No awesome extraordinaries are active anymore.
Nobody likes Kung Fu Panda.
My goats died.

Oct 4, 2009 at 10:12 PM
Regardless of whether it's a MOD or not, it would be easier to translate the game rather than to create another one from scratch. It's outward appearance and the way it functions would suggest that it's a MOD, but the files are not like Cave Story. However, the way it works WOULD suggest that it uses some sort of emulation of the physics in the original.

You can call it what you like, it's obviously a variation of Cave Story. It's not a MOD, but the point still remains: I would like to translate the game. It may not work the exact same way as the original Cave Story, but I believe it can be done.

And why would you be upset about capitalizing the name? It's a proper noun, right?

Oct 4, 2009 at 10:29 PM
no, it's just a normal noun, and even if it was proper, you wouldn't capitalize the whole word.

the reason if it's a mod or not matters is because if it was a mod, it would be a buttload easier to translate, but since it isn't, it'll be harder.

Regardless of whether it's a MOD or not, it would be easier to translate the game rather than to create another one from scratch.

that was not shokos point. he was talking about whether it would've been easier for the creator of hack 9 to hack cs or to make his own game.

It's outward appearance and the way it functions would suggest that it's a MOD ... the way it works WOULD suggest that it uses some sort of emulation of the physics in the original ... it's obviously a variation of cave story.
no...?
does the fact that it's a metroidvania style game automatically make it a cs clone?

Oct 4, 2009 at 10:48 PM
I didn't say it was a clone. I'm not even going to argue about my English. I'm not going to bother arguing whether it's a MOD or not. I don't think it is. That's what you want, isn't it? If you don't have anything helpful to say, please don't.

Oct 4, 2009 at 11:03 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
*Sigh*

brianbdm said:
I didn't say it was a clone. I'm not even going to argue about my English. I'm not going to bother arguing whether it's a MOD or not. I don't think it is.
brianbdm said:
I'm pretty sure most everyone here has heard of the CS mod "Hack 9." It's probably the best one ever done.
Er, what? Have you changed your mind?
brianbdm said:
That's what you want, isn't it? If you don't have anything helpful to say, please don't.
Don't get all upset because someone's correcting you.
He is being helpful, showing you that this isn't a simple Cave Story mod that can be easily translated, as you earlier thought. It's a stand-alone game.
And he was kinda joking about the grumpy stuff...

Oct 4, 2009 at 11:10 PM
I say again,
Call it what you will. I don't care. It doesn't matter. It doesn't make any difference what people call it.
All that matters is how to mod it.

And I already know that it's a stand-alone game.

Oct 4, 2009 at 11:28 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
*Shrug*

brianbdm said:
All that matters is how to mod it.
Or hack, or alter, or edit, or etc :rolleyes:
If you want to know how to mod it, you'd probably be using Hex or Assembly editors to get into the code.
Of course, with no idea on how this game works and with all the files it uses, it'll be like hunting for a needle in a farm of haystacks. While blindfolded.
Lace said:
So please, give me a reason to believe that it's a hack, when I have so many reasons to believe it's not.
Show me the core of your so hardly defended beliefs.
SHOW ME!
Well, the controls are almost exactly the same, along with the physics system, and I even saw the guy holding the Polar Star in one of the manual screenshots.
Not saying it's a hack or mod or anything, just pointing out where the idea comes from :D;

JacobX891 said:
Now if only anyone here knew fluent Japanese, this would be a worthwhile thread.
Too bad.
Translators?
I use them all the time.
It's actually getting into the code and finding all the dialogue to translate, and translating it without screwing up anything in the game that's the problem.

Oct 4, 2009 at 11:32 PM
I may not, but translating a foreign language into a known language isn't that hard incomparison to the reverse. I know someone who actually /does/ speak fleuent Japanese.
But even if I didn't, automated tranlators can work well for that. Even if you don't get the exact translation, you get the basic idea across, and then just add your correct grammar. Like for instance, I'll use Spanish for an example, if you take "el lapiz de Ramona" and put it in a translator, you get "the pencil of Ramona." You can then change that direct translation to "Ramona's pencil"
Now that I'm done rambling, that's besides the point. It's not the Japanese that I have a problem with, it's the software.

Oct 5, 2009 at 12:32 AM
Ask him for what? The language isn't my problem, it's the software!!!

Oct 5, 2009 at 12:32 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I have some experience in romhacking, but I lack the motivation to even start this, let alone complete it. Even less so without a translator which is something MG's member list notably lacks.

I suppose I could attempt to get a dump of the Japanese text if anyone is interested. *shrug*

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:32 AM
I believe I can handle the translation part. I'm really hoping to get this to work.

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:54 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
brianbdm said:
I believe I can handle the translation part. I'm really hoping to get this to work.
When the weekend comes I want you to pester me about so that I don't forget.