TrainerAbu's Trainer has a trojan

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:51 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
http://www.cavestory.org/downloads_5.php

When I downloaded TrainerAbu's trainer, a utility to cheat Cave Story, and unzipped the program, it was automatically deleted by my anti-virus program McAfee because it has a trojan "Generic PWS.y" which is a low-profile.

I do not know where to contact the author of this program.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:57 PM
Banned
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
That sucks

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:03 PM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I don't know exactly how McAfee detects computer threats, but if it's anything like Trend Micro, it's most likely a false alarm...

I've downloaded the Trainer months ago (But I haven't used it at all, yet), and TM hasn't removed it, despite how overprotective it is (It would quarantine the file upon download or while viewing the folder it's in, sort of like how you described your situation). Regardless, it's best to play it safe at first & maybe do a search for similar incidents on any search page you can use (Such as MSN Live Search or Google). If it does turn out to be a case of an overprotective threat scanner, maybe you can even find a workaround to this problem, if it really is a detection flaw.

EDIT: Since I never unzipped mine, I never tested it before. Trend Micro's giving me a similar message (Though it didn't try to remove it), stating the trainer as a TROJ_GENERIC.DIT. Regardless, my antivirus program is [expletive], I stand by my earlier advice.

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:51 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I have the same problem; a virus scan a while ago deleted it and now it's tagged as a virus upon download. I had had my version sitting around for about two years and it was fine, so the only thing I can think of is that it's similar to some recently-found virus so now it gets recognised as such. No more completing prohibitively hard levels 4 me :p

Feb 21, 2009 at 6:25 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
It is possible for an executable file which normally is harmless to be "infected", though. Which would mean that the code was somehow edited to include a virus.

I don't know how likely that is to happen though. Probably not very likely if it's just sitting dormant on your computer.

Feb 21, 2009 at 10:36 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Celtic Minstrel said:
It is possible for an executable file which normally is harmless to be "infected", though. Which would mean that the code was somehow edited to include a virus.

I don't know how likely that is to happen though. Probably not very likely if it's just sitting dormant on your computer.
The download link in the tribute site is the original link from when it was first announced. So it has either always had a trojan long before any anti-virus software could pick it up (unlikely), or something in the program makes it look like a trojan when it really isn't.

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:48 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Eset Nod32 detects it also

I came here to post this. Eset's Nod32 Antivirus is also giving me a warning.

Eset Nod32 Antivirus warning.jpg - 0.07MB

"Threat: probably a variant of Win32/Spy.Agent Trojan"

I have a subscription to Nod32, and the database and program files were just updated a few hours ago.