Towers version 1

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:49 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Towers has been my reason to live for some time now. It would let you know of plot elements, but it isn't all that developed quite yet, "but it has been written, and Lace don't say anything about the quotation marks". I am aware that it may have a few issues and you should know that it is a difficult mod with many jumping based challenges.
I would post some screen shots but I don't know how to. :balrog:
Let me know if you see any glitches, and I'll get on them right away.
Thanks to Noxid, Ollie and Luccifan45 "not on the forums" for alpha testing.
http://www.mediafire.com/?2c7cnpe8g83o636
Hope you have fun.

EDIT 1:
Link is updated, npctable is fine now, but no sound effects untill because none of the programs that edit the npc table seem to work properly. Should be able to get past power room now.
EDIT 2:
Fixed the enemy and first boss fight.
EDIT 3:
I noticed a glitch in the last bos fight of the mod and fixed it. If anyone reached that point, the profile data is right before that point. Now the mod is TOTALLY cleaned up.

Also, yes.

Feb 27, 2011 at 4:33 AM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Since you don't know how to upload screenshots, I might as well do it for you, if that's okay.

p122390-0-t1.png

p122390-1-t4.png

p122390-2-t3.png

Feb 27, 2011 at 5:37 AM
I don't anymore.
Ollie said:
Since you don't know how to upload screenshots, I might as well do it for you, if that's okay.

p122390-0-t1.png

p122390-1-t4.png

p122390-2-t3.png

Thank you.

Feb 27, 2011 at 6:59 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Well, apparently I haven't gotten very far. Inside the tower however, the gameplay quickly becomes reminiscent of 'Rick Dangerous'. (I've noticed many mods here seem to...)

Still, nice to see something new, something else. :balrog:

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:29 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Okay before I say anything else, I've run into a pretty serious bug. After being alive for a while, enemy/character death animations stop playing, exp capsules stop appearing, and in particular, the guy with the silver hairs' bullets stop spawning altogether. The only other time I've seen this happen is when the projectile spawning slots have been 'used up', and further testing showed that the Heavy Arm is the cause of it. If I never shoot, then silver haired guy (from here on SHG) is able to keep shooting forever, but if I shoot a bunch before reaching him, he's unable to fire anything right from the start. However, the Heavy Arm keeps working, so it's a bit confusing. With my minimal hacking knowledge I would guess that the Heavy Arm's projectiles aren't being despawned properly, and so take up entity spawn slots even after they disappear.

On that note, SHG also has waaaaaay too much HP. In fact it's impossible not to run into this problem when fighting him (for me at least). I'll continue on past it for now as it's not really much of a fight, but if it starts messing up the gameplay too much I'll stop for tonight.

EDIT: In the Power Center, neither of the two weapons I have can activate the power blocks (I assume I'm meant to use the one that is still accidentally mislabelled as the "Fireball"). Either I'm missing something or this part doesn't work properly, so I'll leave it there for now.

EDDITIONAL BONUS: Everything else so far has been extremely good :balrog:

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:32 PM
I don't anymore.
Hmm, about the "curly" fight, it seems that you may be right about the weapon, Noxid mentioned it to me and I thought it was my npc table, which has apparently broke again. Using cave editor .99 seems to disable the sound effects, so today I need to adnust them all in Ollydbg. I may have never encountered the issue with this fight becuase I always used my weapon at level 3. The weapon being mislabeled is just embarrising, but you do use it to get past that part, just play around with the physics of it. Expect a fix by Monday.

Feb 27, 2011 at 10:11 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Every once in a while an amazing mod pops out in the Mod showcase. This, I believe, is one of those times.

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:09 PM
I don't anymore.
WoodenRat said:
Every once in a while an amazing mod pops out in the Mod showcase. This, I believe, is one of those times.

I had hoped it would be. I figure any good assembly, creative tsc, and unique map design makes an awesome mod.

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:56 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
but you do use it to get past that part, just play around with the physics of it.
Okay let me rephrase: When the "Fireball" projectiles hit the power blocks nothing happens.

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:32 AM
Errr, I can probably help with that Fireball problem, just as soon as I know what you mean. I opened Tower A though, and realized there is a little debug entity (?) you left next to the save point (invisible) that gives you the booster 2.0 equip flag.

Edit 1: Aaaaand I just realized that you've hacked the booster 2.0 to be infinite... apparently using it for a while causes enemies to stop dropping exp, or it may have been the level 1 of the heavy arm doing it or something.

Edit 2: I'd also like to suggest moving the save point in Cthu to around 25,25 or so... as well as adding a skipflag to [sortaspoiler]whatshisname[/sortaspoiler]'s introduction. I do change my mind though. This mod is better than I had thought originally, just after I got past that Tower A room. Heh.

Feb 28, 2011 at 2:41 PM
I don't anymore.
Dubby said:
Errr, I can probably help with that Fireball problem, just as soon as I know what you mean. I opened Tower A though, and realized there is a little debug entity (?) you left next to the save point (invisible) that gives you the booster 2.0 equip flag.

Edit 1: Aaaaand I just realized that you've hacked the booster 2.0 to be infinite... apparently using it for a while causes enemies to stop dropping exp, or it may have been the level 1 of the heavy arm doing it or something.

Oops. I thought I had removed all those entities, "there were quite a few" but I'll fix it after school.

Doublethink.
Oh shit. I just realized that when I had to remake my npc table that they were the one thing I forgot. That stupid last minute fix to the table is the root of all your woes.

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:30 PM
Er, yeah. Uh. The "power room blocks" are Grate entities, and they're all one tile higher than the tile is. Just change a null entity into one that has 1 hp, and an 8x8 hitbox. Try using #0321, as it isn't used by anything else afaik. (I use it and a few other null ents in my own mod as various custom tiles)

I also believe you could possibly just use ent #0000, but I can't remember if when they're set to invulnerable and still shootable/special solid/runscriptondeath if they glitch and "run script on death" every time they take damage. I forget.

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:55 PM
Pirate Member
Alright I've through a few good doors in that dark room, but now there's this looong corridor with like 10 doors. How the hell am I supposed to know which one to enter?

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:07 PM
I don't anymore.
WoodenRat said:
Alright I've through a few good doors in that dark room, but now there's this looong corridor with like 10 doors. How the hell am I supposed to know which one to enter?

Use math. That is your hint. Paper Mario was my inspiration for those evil door based puzzles.

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:17 PM
With no save point directly prior to entering that room, I tried a few times, and said "screw this" and looked in the editor.

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:59 AM
Been here way too long...
Hehe. Wellm I look forward to playing this. Which I will do promptly.

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:21 AM
graters gonna grate
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
"but it has been written, and Lace don't say anything about the quotation marks"

p122405-0-2283585.gif

Oops, I forgot, Lace and I are the same person, my bad...

Anyway yeah, downloading this now...

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:37 PM
Pirate Member
Dubby said:
With no save point directly prior to entering that room, I tried a few times, and said "screw this" and looked in the editor.

I'll probably do this too, I mean really man give us a tip.

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:56 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
The second sign is actually a hint. Took me a while to realise it but when I did I was like "oooOOOoooh".

Bonus hint:

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

Pay attention to the background.