Touhou Project

May 10, 2015 at 11:28 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
С. П. Гардэбитэр said:
No, it's the full game, the demo is already released. :p
I thought you meant 15, I don't care about fighting games :U Speaking of which, they're both out today. I just tried the demo and wooooaaaoaoaaaoa, it's a dedicated enemy wave shooter! :momo: With checkpoints! :momo: :momo: Sounds odd I know, but in practice it's quite fluid (and they can be turned off). I haven't played very much but I hope it gets properly polished because this sort of thing is right up my alley.

May 10, 2015 at 12:05 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yeah I think 15 will turn out nice, I actually tried the demo as well. The checkpoint system is a good replacement for spell practice in my opinion. Although it will probably attract filthy casual players. :p

May 19, 2015 at 8:14 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Wow. I was just about to start up a thread just like this, but seems like you beat me to it!!
Just a warning to all that are considering buying their ticket to Gensokyo:

Once you are in, you won't leave.

EVER.

I'm currently stuck on Mokou because of her "Honest Man's Death" spell card.
I know how to do it, but it just won't work for me...

(And no, I already had the Reimu Yukkuri avatar for a while. I didn't just get it now.)

May 22, 2015 at 11:00 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
I knew, it was you, who has started this conversation, when I've read Touhou! XD
But I think, a release outside of Japan would attract way more casual gamers than a lower difficulty. Though, it will definately have a big influence..

Let's say it that way. Once it gets on Steam, it will become mainstream. Just a matter of time.. :/
BUT! It would make the bullethell-genre more popular.

I don't know... I sure want to support the devs and official translations would be neat too! What do you think? =/

Nov 10, 2020 at 9:33 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I haven't played any Touhou game in a while, I like to give it a try someday but I can't because I'm playing Metroid Prime on the gamecube.

Nov 10, 2020 at 9:57 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I haven't played any Touhou game in a while, I like to give it a try someday but I can't because I'm playing Metroid Prime on the gamecube.
I hope you like death, dying, and hot anime girls.

Nov 14, 2020 at 6:11 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
i can only get to stage 3-4 on most touhou games

Nov 16, 2020 at 5:44 PM
"Huzzah!"
PC-98 is p cool

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:25 PM
Everything you hate about humanity
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
PC98 is based, I await the day when Zun will stop cowering behind the excuse of "I don't want to piss off pc98 fans by changing things" and just bring back Mima... or sword sakuya... or the objectively better reimu... or honestly all of the characters, Give Me Story Of Eastern Wonderland 2.

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:19 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've only played Touhou 1, at the expense of 100+ continues

Nov 29, 2020 at 7:10 PM
Everything you hate about humanity
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Doesn't Highly Responsive to Prayers have like, infinite continues?

Nov 29, 2020 at 8:28 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
As someone who started with PC98, they're... unique. I'd say 4 and 5 were the only genuinely good ones. The rest are weird novelties made of 10% moments of utter brilliance, 55% janky fun, and 35% stupid bullshit. The music's amazing across the board though.
Doesn't Highly Responsive to Prayers have like, infinite continues?
Nah, it's got 3 continues like normal. Though the game gives you a stupid amount of extra lives if you play your cards right.

EDIT: okay it's got infinite continues
i just replayed it

Give Me Story Of Eastern Wonderland 2
No. SOEW had fun ideas, but we need Highly Responsive to Prayers 2. This time there's minibosses in the levels, a lives/bombs/scoring system that doesn't turn the game into a complete joke, patterns a human being can react to, and the return of Meme-a, who shows up for five seconds in the background of one of the bad endings.

Still, it's really sad that PC98 is totally ignored. It's probably because the Touhou games are only a fraction of Touhou. So many people get into Touhou from the characters and setting and remixes/fangames/doujins, not from the games themselves. Windows has LOTS of popular characters and fanworks, especially with earlier games. Pretty much everything in Windows games gets expanded on in side materials and headcanons. Midbosses that never speak and don't even have an official name have more popularity and usage in fanworks than some final bosses. PC98 only has the games, so it gets left behind.

That said, I hate when people willingly ignore PC98 or talk about Embodiment of Scarlet Devil like it was the first good 2hu and made PC98 totally obsolete. EoSD signified a big shift in the setting and characters, but almost all of that was added in side materials after EoSD came out. The actual game is on par with 4 and 5, and actually worse in a lot of important ways. I dunno how you could look at EoSD, then Mystic Square, and say PC98 is too old. The Spellcard system's cool, but even that didn't really start in EoSD; Mystic Square's Extra stage uses Spellcards in all but name.

Then again, I dunno. I'm trying to play them in chronological order, and haven't even gotten to Imperishable Night.
at least windows doesn't trace artwork from a hentai game...

Last edited: