Touhou Fortress 2

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:56 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Hey, since Team Fortress 2 just went free, and I know there's at least some forum members who also enjoy Touhou, I figured I'd show everyone this:

http://touhoufortress2.web.fc2.com/main.html Old website. {Disowned by current project group}
http://touhoufortress2.wordpress.com/ Current website {But still incomplete}
It's a project, still being worked on, that aims to add Touhou to TF2.
Right now, there's a completed model for each class, all the ones you see up there plus a few alternates {Like Utsuho for Solider, or Chou Marisa as Heavy, or Satori as Spy}. They've also planned voice packs, but due to one very jerkish asshole, that got pretty side-tracked, but the project has been revived with some new members on the project team. They're looking for new modelers since the old one sorta didn't listen {The characters are suppose to look much more like their TF2 counterparts} and ragequit, leaving them no source code, so the models might break any update and they won't be able to fix it; not to mention the models aren't the best and are really fat now {Demoman currently uses 4000 polygons, Suika uses 14000}, so if you experience crashes a lot, try turning on High quality for the models, that was a problem for me. They've also restarted the voice auditions, mostly only looking for volunteers for the main models. There's currently a voicepack for Utsuho, one really hard to find one for Suika {But rather on the squeaky side, she got so attacked for it she's left the 'net; I personally prefer anything over a black one-eyed cyclops talking through the drunken Oni} and one in the works for Mokou {Even talked with the voice actress}, but they're still looking for volunteers, for modeling also; if anyone is interested or knows anyone who would be, they'd be more than happy for any sort of volunteers. The concept art and voice scripts have been completed for some time, they just need more modelers and voicers who can actually provide. {English speakers only, of course}
Anyways, I found this pretty awesome, there's even a Steam Group you can join that has it's own server. There are some other modifications you can find as well besides this project for Touhou. I've got one that plays the vocal version of Nitori's theme on any built dispenser {You get more than you paid for with Nitori}, for example, and a nice reminder to "Take it easy!" whenever I get the freeze cam for dying. There's also some pretty damn awesome Touhou maps by Deity Link, my favorite would have to be the final version of the Scarlet Devil Mansion. {Even though the underground area scares the hell out of me} Also not directly apart of the Touhou Fortress 2 project, but they're all pretty awesome and made for each other. {SDM even uses the Sakuya model}

I could say more, but all you really need to do is click the image.
I can add anything someone's having trouble with/can't find out about, though.

Also, NOTE:
The website touhoufortress2.web.fc2.com may be the easiest to get the models from/info, but it's also been disowned by the current group. That's the original modeler's website, and while he's keeping it up, he's something of an arsehole, they've pretty much all moved to the forums here. {You must become a member to view it}
Don't use the email on the first website, try the forums if you need something from them.
Steam Group is also really active, their group chat contains most of what's going on with the project at anytime.

Another EDIT:
Gosh I'm slow, added the current official website now, the one used by the current group and not the old modeler.
It's very incomplete, however, so you'll still have to download the models from the old site.

Also, for anyone interested, they just posted a brief 'History lesson', a quick sum up of some of the more important update notices from the group. It basically explains what's going on with the project right now, and what happened to the old one.
Lucidius134 said:
This post is going to be a summary of events posted in the steam group notices to make the information more accessable.

About the Old Site:
Announcement: So It's Come to my Attention that Users Were Being Mistreated
I have absolutely no idea how long this has been going on, but I recieved some pretty recent information that people who contacted the group in the past were met with a hostile response.

As far as I know all inquiries and offers of help made inside the group chat and group comments were handled well (aside from some debates about characters and alts, but those boiled down to fact debate not so much insult slinging. If I did insult anyone though I guess this is a pretty poor spot to apologize but hey, here goes. My bad I'm only human and sometimes I make mistakes)

The e-mail that was being distributed on the former website was not mine, and instead all inquiries were sent to the old modeler. If an e-mail had any sort of question regarding plans or bugs, they were then forwarded to me. I did not, however, recieve every e-mail sent. Only the ones he didn't want to answer.

Given the old modeler's scamming and lies to the group as a whole, it's become a very real possibility that people who e-mailed "us" with offers that endangered him being the sole worker of this project may have been met with very rude and hostile responses. Ages ago we discussed splitting the money spent on models between multiple creators if another ever popped up, and given the old guy's scammy track record he may have been attacking people in order to keep it all for himself.

I just want to say that all users should NOT send ANYMORE questions, comments, anything to the e-mail on there, users should NOT use that website anymore (we disowned it a while ago although said action may have fallen between the cracks) I'll be double-checking and removing any existing links tying us to that site again.

If any users have experienced any sort of abuse after e-mailing, please let me know so that this nasty hunch we have becomes more of a fact. It'll also give me a chance to personally apologize for this disgusting act.

About the New Site:
Announcement: Transition Part 2: The moving
As mentioned earlier, we're currently moving things around and getting everything rebooted. Part of this is our new website-blog, which you can find at

http://touhoufortress2.wordpress.com/
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Touhou_Fortress_2/

It includes links to our forums, downloads, this Steam Group, as well as having update notification options via either RSS feed or e-mail. It allows us to get the info to you in a number of ways. It's also currently featuring a contest as well as some newly colored art.

At this point updates on this steam page are going to slow down significantly, but like the site says the group is still here to keep track of all our steam fans as well as keep the group chat opened for live talking.

Steam is still great, but as far as basing a multi-person project on it it's very lacking. No hotlinking or image uploading has been a pain forever, so it's about time we moved our news feed to a much more media-friendly space

About the old Models:
Announcement: 101 reasons to set down ground rules with your modeler.
So I just received word that, while on his extended leave due to something upsetting him that no one could ever really comprehend, our modeler decided to reformat his computer. He also forgot to back up important things...like the model source files.

Insisting that no one besides himself could ever work on the models, he never released the sourcefiles elsewhere. The ones on the site are simply the models; no jigglebone data, no QCs for recompiling after an edit.

What does this mean? Well for starters he's officially fired, not that THAT should come as a massive surprise. It also means that if Valve ever updates the game in a way that breaks the models, they can never be used again since we can't edit them to be compatible with the update. This means that eventually, these models will not work and although we'd like to, we can never fix them.

About the new Models.
Announcement: 101 reasons to set down ground rules with your modeler
Speaking of modelers, it'll be time to look for one soon. They don't have to have used the source engine before, but it's a plus. If you know any friends, fans, you model yourself, make note or ask sometime soon. We'll be looking for talent very soon.
Announcement: Remember when I said I had nothing planned? I LIED
What this means is, we'd be going through and in-depth designing each class and model individually so that it was more of a Touhou character participating in the TF2 world rather then a Touhou character dropped into the TF2 world. Recycled TF2 costume elements, textures done in the style of the world etc.

This would also mean that each model would take considerably longer due to the effort put in. We'd have a concept drawn up, and then discuss it in-depth; does it clash with the world, is it modelable, and is it something that looks good. A process that we, quite frankly should have done from the start.

I won't sugarcoat it: our models kind of really suck. Probably because each had roughly a week's worth of work put in. I want to fix that, and early impressions from within the group agree. So, I wanted to see what others thought; if they'd like to see some actual TF2-esque hard work, or if they're fine with the bloom-vomit-never-recieving-updates we have now.

And lastly, a brief summary:
-The old models are not supported by this project.

-The old site is not supported by the project. Do not use any emails or paypal links on that site.

-The old modeler verbally abused people offering to help the project behind our backs so that he could be the only modeler involved in the project. Because of this we've lost countless offers for new models and voice talent.

-The old modeler did not release source models and they are lost

-We have no modeler, nor anyone who can rig models.

-The old models, unless re-rigged, compiled and tweaked, will never be updated to work with TF2. When they inevitably break from a major update, that's the end folks!

If there's anything I forgot to add or anything you wish to add/mention, feel free to edit this post if you're an admin or post below. {Of course you have to go there first}

Jun 25, 2011 at 2:50 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Image appears broken to my browser

I don't really have much else to say on the subject.

Jun 25, 2011 at 2:51 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Oops.

Noxid said:
Image appears broken to my browser.
Oh, right, sorry, I forgot sometimes images don't load here very well. That's what I get for trying to be fancy...
Nevermind then.

Jun 25, 2011 at 3:48 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Re: Or does it?

VoidMage_Lowell said:
Er, I did say click the image...
That leads to the exact same place.

Ahh..the image didn't appear for me for some reason. Sorry 'bout that.

Jun 25, 2011 at 3:55 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
I remember it well...

WD said:
Ahh..the image didn't appear for me for some reason. Sorry 'bout that.
Naw it's alright, like Noxid pointed out, sometimes it takes really long for images to load for certain people on these forums, it's happened a lot to me.
Should've added a non-picture'd link in the first place...

Infact, right after editing, the picture stopped loading for me...

Jun 25, 2011 at 7:09 AM
Been here way too long...
Re: I remember it well...

p130099-0-0v3bx.png

Jun 25, 2011 at 7:12 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
It's a cult

You betcha.
Besides, if you think about it, Touhou and Team Fortress 2 are already pretty similar.

p130100-0-186.png

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:22 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
You rang?

Ahh, Touhou Fortress.
Tried it, it was okay.
Deleted it.
It's just confusing, to relearn what each model is.
The spy looks like a spy, Sakuya, on the other hand, does not.

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:29 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
And Patchouli keeps saying Wanker

I never had that kind of trouble, I guess I just find it easier to associate each person with the class their replacing {Sakuya = Knives, that's easy enough for Spy}, and the weapons give it away at a quick glance usually until I've basically relearned who's who real quick again.
But that's due to the old modeler's fault, the original plan was to make them look a lot similar to their TF2 counterparts, but he went ahead and made them a lot more like just Touhou stuck inside TF2.
If they can ever get enough help with making these new models, you should try it again.

Jun 26, 2011 at 9:24 AM
Been here way too long...
Re: And Patchouli keeps saying Wanker

There's this game called Team Fortress 2. It's free, you should try it. It's probably one of the greatest online shooters evar.

Jun 26, 2011 at 6:33 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
No spellcards or anything

Captain Fabulous said:
There's this game called Team Fortress 2. It's free, you should try it. It's probably one of the greatest online shooters evar.
Eh... tried it once, didn't like it.
Was too easy, rather boring.

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:22 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Re: Or does it?

That's one long ass post.