Top 10 resons why cave story has room to improve

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:09 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I think, thus, it can be concluded that there is indeed a moral theme, so that point in the OP is false.

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:26 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Tropes and Moral themes are different things. But Ballos quote kinda sums it up a bit. It's weird still because I wouldn't have expected it to be said in the secret ending. That still leaves out the references to slavery and war.

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:23 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Perhaps we should ask someone who isn't a gigantic CS fan and has a forum account and everything.

The comment on the music is a matter of opinion, really. I loved the soundtrack. As for tiles and immersion, that's opinion too. To me Cave Story isn't a game where I feel like I have to be immersed. Maybe that's the real problem with the story, that the game doesn't take itself incredibly seriously.

The glitch you mentioned doesn't sound like it's going to ruin the game for me...

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I think this is a pretty weak point since it's pretty easy to derive meaning from any story if you try hard enough. In fact I'm pretty sure that was the whole point of all the English courses I took in high school.
That's exactly what I was thinking GIR. Thank you. xD

For example the Mimigas eat the Red Flowers and once they begin raging they can't stop, which makes me think of the idea that once you've done something evil such as murder you can't be the same afterwards. You can't go back. Same goes for soldiers who fight in wars. It changes you. o.0

Also wars is bad.

Finally, I've got one more related question. Do you think it's a shortcoming that this game was too short? It's pitifully short compared to something like the Legend of Zelda games.

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Connorses said:
Do you think it's a shortcoming that this game was too short? It's pitifully short compared to something like the Legend of Zelda games.
If you get the bad ending, yeah. But if you do that, then that's the player's own fault. I'd say the game has a good length. Especially due to its replay value of going back and getting a different ending. Some even have praised Cave Story for having a relatively long length.

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:57 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Polaris said:
...Is it wrong that I disagree with almost everything from this list?

And a bunch of other things from the other list, too?

It probably is, isn't it.

I would go on a huge quote-disagree-quote quest, but my reasons are really stupid, so I don't really think I should. :koron:
Trust me, it ain't wrong. Cave Story is an amazing game. I disagree with every single thing on this list. It might not be the perfect game, but it is damn near one of the best games I have ever played.

Aug 1, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Langjake51 said:
Trust me, it ain't wrong. Cave Story is an amazing game. I disagree with every single thing on this list. It might not be the perfect game, but it is damn near one of the best games I have ever played.
If you disagree with every point on the list then you're pretty much putting the game on a pedestal. Cave Story is a good/great game, but it's by no means perfect.

Aug 1, 2013 at 7:28 PM
I don't anymore.
I don't know if the game could have sustained for longer than it did on what already was in pixel's tool belt. Of thegame were to be longer it would have needed more potential for variety in combat and navigating the enviornment. It probably would have taken up too many resources to make the game longer and good, which is why the game is paced the way it is. Personally I think the end comes a Little too quickly and could have been built up Better, like the balcony being longer or something. But it still works and sells as it is.

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
3. There's also pine Reson.

What's a pine Reson?

9. Glitches

Isn't this the only glitch we ever found though? I might be wrong, but having only one glitch throughout the game, and it being one that is extremely unlikely to happen accidentally, seems pretty good to me.

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:48 AM
I don't anymore.
2: The glitch checkups: that's right. cave story is almost glitch free.

Literally just me being a smart ass.

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Based Member
bobbyis said:
You can pause the game mid air and reset the damage time for infinitely as long as there is something to hit you. This can be used to break the game in grasstown requiring you to restart from the beginning.
Isn't this the only glitch we ever found though? I might be wrong, but having only one glitch throughout the game, and it being one that is extremely unlikely to happen accidentally, seems pretty good to me.
The original Cave Story is one of the most polished games I have ever played. But even some of the most polished ones have their glitches. Cave Story has a few.

- The game-breaking Grasstown glitch Matt mentioned. According to GIR, this glitch is fixed in all NICALiS releases. The irony.
- Booster's pants are brown when he's facing right. But if he's falling, injured, walking, has his back turned to the player (exposing his bare hindquarters), or is facing left, they're green.
- In the Egg Corridor, you can ride on top of one of the beetles before the stack of blocks before you see Sue and Igor, and be carried over to where they are while the cutscene is going. They will take no notice of you, and you will be able to see Igor disappear when he's supposed to go off screen.
- When you're at the door in the Plantation that leads into the rest area, if you press the down key right before a Midorin walks into you, then it will push you as you're standing there, and you will move to a different position near the door as it fades out. This breaks the illusion of Quote entering the door.
- If you defeat the Muscle Doctor while he's ascending into the air, and then quickly get through the "AAAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!" text before he lands back on the ground, he will sink through the floor and go off the screen.

Granted, these aren't easy to trigger, but the fact remains that even a polished game like Cave Story has its share of glitches. Making me devoid of being able to offer it any criticism my first two playthroughs is quite an accomplishment, but as I played it over and over again, I eventually found things to nit-pick.

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:13 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Another one would be if you activate the Rocket in the Plantation then jump off and stand where it is going to land instead of crushing you when the Rocket lands it will push you into the block below and you will be stuck, the only way to get out is to load form your most recent save.

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:15 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Actually if you just press the down arrow key there's an event placed specifically for that occurrence that will pop you out in a safe place.

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:16 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Actually, you can just push down to get out. I think.

Edit:mega-ninja'd by Noxid. -.-

You know, I wasn't even aware that last glitch mentioned by Hayden existed. =o

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:17 AM
Aug 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I found that glitch by attempting suicide. . .

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:35 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Hmmm, how should I kill myself? I have four guns, I could shoot myself. I have a blade, I could stab myself. Nah, that's too much trouble, I'll just build a rocket and land it on my head.

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:53 PM
I seriously DIDN'T know you could DO THAT!

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
HaydenStudios said:
as I played it over and over again, I eventually found things to nit-pick.
In my opinion, if you have to really look for problems with a game, you're not being fair to the game. Oh boo, so you can be pushed into the floor during one particular sequence in the game or what have you. At the end of the day, practically this whole thread is indeed nit picking. People complaining about the pacing of the game wouldn't know pacing if it made sweet, well-paced love to them.

But even more importantly, these are all opinions.

What I really don't understand, however, is how people wouldn't like the music; calling it "fair at best". Cave Story has one of the best soundtracks I've heard - ever. All of the music is catchy and memorable, and fits the atmosphere of the game. Sure it isn't some massive orchestral shabang like many games nowadays, but it captures the mood very well. Furthermore, the composition has variation. That's hard to find in many musicians for some reason or another. Plus what was that other thing oh yeah THE WHOLE FREAKING GAME WAS MADE BY ONE DUDE ARE FUCKING JOKING OF COURSE IT WON'T BE PERFECT

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:58 PM
I don't anymore.
CaptainFluffatun said:
In my opinion, if you have to really look for problems with a game, you're not being fair to the game. Oh boo, so you can be pushed into the floor during one particular sequence in the game or what have you. At the end of the day, practically this whole thread is indeed nit picking. People complaining about the pacing of the game wouldn't know pacing if it made sweet, well-paced love to them.

But even more importantly, these are all opinions.

What I really don't understand, however, is how people wouldn't like the music; calling it "fair at best". Cave Story has one of the best soundtracks I've heard - ever. All of the music is catchy and memorable, and fits the atmosphere of the game. Sure it isn't some massive orchestral shabang like many games nowadays, but it captures the mood very well. Furthermore, the composition has variation. That's hard to find in many musicians for some reason or another. Plus what was that other thing oh yeah THE WHOLE FREAKING GAME WAS MADE BY ONE DUDE ARE FUCKING JOKING OF COURSE IT WON'T BE PERFECT
That was me directly making fun of the previous thread insisting the game was literally perfect. Also just because I like a game doesn't mean I can't find fault in it. This might be literally the only thread to objectively look at Cave story without going on and on about how good it is and make people think critically about the game. If you can't handle that then stop giving me or anyone else shit about our opinions and then go on to list yours.

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:23 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
It's true though going by that logic we're really just nit-picking for the heck of it, and for a game that was made by one person it is truly impressive. And it's got very few glitches, only one of which can break the game... He even made his own music format which I thought was way cool.

The sound isn't bad either, I used the critter hit-sound as my hit-sound in TF2 cause it's less obnoxious than the default DING. xD