time well-spent thread

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Been getting a lot done this summer, just thought I'd vent my satisfaction.
Been able to finally get some stuff done for my mod.
Post and tell me about how productive you've been this summer.

Puppies_zps6cae0591.jpg

^puppies

Ask a question and I'll try to answer.
Ask an interesting question and maybe I'll give an interesting answer.

Tell me what you've been making progress on.

And oh please do try to put effort into your posts, I wouldn't want to get confused and think I ended up on someone else's forum.

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Hayden, you won't believe all of the music I've transcribed over the Summer. For someone with absolutely no musical talent or experience, I think this is an accomplishment. It's getting me pumped and motivated to work harder on the things I want to get done.

Now a question for you: approximately how long did it take you to learn assembly for Cave Story and how tedious was it?

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:47 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Why do I have the feeling that this thread is the EXACT opposite of Nox's waste of time thread?

Anyways, I've been doing really well this summer! Much, Much progress on Sue's Story, I should have 0.2.0 out before thanksgiving at my current rate! I'v been haying bales part time, and having a blast without having school to worry about...

*Ahhhhh*

I wish it could last forever...

As for a question, to follow up on Tpcool's:

What's your specialty for ASM? (NPC's, Blind edits, TSC commands ect.)

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Been here way too long...
c===8

User was warned for this post.

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Based Member
Tpcool said:
Hayden, you won't believe all of the music I've transcribed over the Summer. For someone with absolutely no musical talent or experience, I think this is an accomplishment. It's getting me pumped and motivated to work harder on the things I want to get done.
That's fantastic! Glad to hear you've been getting stuff done, and indeed transcribing songs does feel good. I really don't have any musical talent either.

Tpcool said:
Now a question for you: approximately how long did it take you to learn assembly for Cave Story and how tedious was it?
The answer to the first part of your question is very convoluted, so I'll answer the second part first. At first it was a bit difficult grasping how registers, memory locations, and bytes work, as well as memorizing the ASM commands. But after that, learning everything else I know about Assembly was quite fun and easy. Although the latest challenge for me is reading and understanding how an NPC works by looking at its code, even with the documentation that exists on it. I haven't buckled down and dedicated myself to tackling it because I haven't needed to yet, but I'll need to before long.

As for how long it took me to learn it... There are several varying valid answers I could give to that question. I have technically completed Carrotlord's beginner guide, read through the whole Assembly compendium, and read all the threads I could find on Assembly, but it would be inaccurate to say I've finished learning Assembly. I still have more to learn, but most of this knowledge will be learned by actually hacking and getting my hands dirty, rather than consulting the books. I'm certainly not prepared yet to make my own custom <ANP functions and bosses. But anyway, back to how long it took me. I actually first started looking at Carrotlord's tutorial in January 2012, but didn't get real far because I was still debugging my fourth ending mod and school was tough then. I was more dabbling in it, and hadn't dedicated myself yet. Later that summer I looked through it a little bit more because I was very tempted to and was getting tired of working on a project that I told myself I would finish that summer. But again, I didn't get real far, and didn't spend much time on it because I was intentionally not getting to into it, even though reading it was fun. A couple of other times I referenced to it, but still didn't really buckle down yet due to fear of excessive immersion possibly causing abandonment of another project. Earlier this Summer when I finally had both the free time and the peace of mind to really dedicate myself to learning assembly, I was able to reach the end of Carrotlord's tutorial in twelve days, and that's counting a week in the middle of it spent at the beach during which I was too busy swimming, winning over some cute girls with some awesome sand constructions (true story), and having fun with my cousins. Once I got the time to do it, it was pretty quick and fun. Basically I blazed through the second half of Carrotlords tutorial over the period of a few days. In a way you could say it took me a year-and-a-half, but you could also say it only took me a couple of weeks to learn assembly.

Bombchu Link said:
I've been doing really well this summer! Much, Much progress on Sue's Story, I should have 0.2.0 out before thanksgiving at my current rate! I'v been haying bales part time, and having a blast without having school to worry about...
Great! Glad to hear that you're making progress on stuff.

Bombchu Link said:
*Ahhhhh*

I wish it could last forever...
Tell me about it... At least for me this school year won't be as bad as the past two were.

Bombchu Link said:
As for a question, to follow up on Tpcool's:

What's your specialty for ASM? (NPC's, Blind edits, TSC commands ect.)
To be honest, I don't have very much experience doing ASM. The most I've done is do Carrotlord's examples, speed up an NPC for the purposes of my mod, and make a custom TSC command that allows more precise placement of the character. So it's hard to say what my strength is. For modding in general, cutscenes are my strength, so perhaps cutscene-related ASM tasks will turn out to be my strength (at least, that's where I plan on most heavily using assembly). But right now it's hard to say.

Randolf said:
How do you eat soup?
With a spoon. I'm actually quite skilled at it. I've even gotten so good at it, that I was able to do it last summer, even when I had had my wisdom teeth taken out less than twelve hours earlier.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:25 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
HaydenStudios said:
I was able to reach the end of Carrotlord's tutorial in twelve days, and that's counting a week in the middle of it spent at the beach during which I was too busy swimming, winning over some cute girls with some awesome sand constructions (true story), and having fun with my cousins.
Ha ha, winning over girls with sand castles, that's a new one.

Tell me about it... At least for me this school year won't be as bad as the past two were.
The best part (for me anyways) Is that I won't have school this September.
I'm home schooled, and I have 10-Grade curriculum. I basically graduated at 16!

I plan to work at a grocery story this autum...but only because I can't work with my dad. I need to be at least 18 to be on a roof even under supervision. :/ My plans at the store is to get a higher position as supervisor, and climb the ladder until I own all the stores in the state and make $250,000 a month. :D

[/wishful thinking]

P.S Wahaha story is the single greatest CS mod ever.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Based Member
Bombchu Link said:
The best part (for me anyways) Is that I won't have school this September.
I'm home schooled, and I have 10-Grade curriculum. I basically graduated at 16!
That's interesting, I've never heard of anyone doing that. But that's cool. The outside-the-box-thinking way of homeschoolers really is awesome, and the school officials hate it. But they can't fight the power. (I should know, I'm homeschooled as well)

Bombchu Link said:
I plan to work at a grocery story this autum...but only because I can't work with my dad. I need to be at least 18 to be on a roof even under supervision. :/ My plans at the store is to get a higher position as supervisor, and climb the ladder until I own all the stores in the state and make $250,000 a month. :D

/wishful thinking
Good... Good luck? I plan on trying to get a job this Fall too. I hope I'll still have enough free time to work on my mod even with that going on...

Bombchu Link said:
P.S Wahaha story is the single greatest CS mod ever.
Thanks!

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:52 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
WARNING: THE FOLLOWING POST CONTAINS AGENDA BASED CONTENT, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

~THE WARNING WAS NOT PUT HERE BY A MOD~

HaydenStudios said:
The outside-the-box-thinking way of home-schoolers really is awesome, and the school officials hate it. But they can't fight the power. (I should know, I'm home-schooled as well)
Give me the youth and I care not who makes the laws,
I will control everything.

~Hitler~
It's so true, so true.

They want dumbed-down kids flowing out of the schools that will never stand against things like drugs, (marijuana is about the become legal in whatever state it was) and Gay marriage, and other junk that brings no benefit to society.

And that's also why we usually make better mods and actually finish them. We have stick-to-it-attitude that lacks greatly in our nation.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Are you retarded or a master satirist?

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Professional Whatever
I like
Did a thing
For my mod
Content update in ten years sad but true

Also I can draw a bit better now so that's an imporvemnt

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Based Member
MagicDoors said:
I like
Did a thing
For my mod
Content update in ten years sad but true

Also I can draw a bit better now so that's an imporvemnt
Congratulations Doors, it's good to hear that you're making PROGRESS on stuff too!

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:15 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I've been real productive this interval of summer, too bad none of it paid off. I've procrastinated multiple mods, in which are now cancelled. I'd attempt to work on the mods further, except they didn't even get implemented into a copy of Cavestory! `They were merely ideas, written down in the boundaries of nowhere. Further more, (And I digress) my Animal Crossing village is all I devote my time to, which means I'm lacking social interactions. Also, since I have a fear of the vibration cars produce (Pathetic, I acknowledge that.), I dislike traversing anywhere requiring mobile movement.

At least I'm playing Mother 3, that counts as productivity.

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:42 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
ChimeApple said:
I've been real productive this interval of summer, too bad none of it paid off. I've procrastinated multiple mods, in which are now cancelled. I'd attempt to work on the mods further, except they didn't even get implemented into a copy of Cavestory! `They were merely ideas, written down in the boundaries of nowhere. Further more, (And I digress) my Animal Crossing village is all I devote my time to, which means I'm lacking social interactions. Also, since I have a fear of the vibration cars produce (Pathetic, I acknowledge that.), I dislike traversing anywhere requiring mobile movement.

At least I'm playing Mother 3, that counts as productivity.
Well I have ridiculous ideas for Cave Story mods all the time. I've recently started getting into modding to finally carry out those ideas. I haven't learned much, I started a few days ago and haven't done much ever since. I've only watched Noxid's modding tutorial but a lot of the stuff isn't explained so I plan to use the text guide.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:22 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Thatnamelessguy said:
Well I have ridiculous ideas for Cave Story mods all the time. I've recently started getting into modding to finally carry out those ideas. I haven't learned much, I started a few days ago and haven't done much ever since. I've only watched Noxid's modding tutorial but a lot of the stuff isn't explained so I plan to use the text guide.
Actually, my ideas were possible. I was planning a Kaizo Mario-like mod, instead using different visuals and stress related mechanics. Another idea was a mod in which you controlled multiple characters in their respective sprite sheets, such as Balloon Fight. This would take advantage over a modification someone made in order to implement multiple Mimiga Mask formations. An infinite amount, in fact!

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:52 AM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Bombchu Link said:
They want dumbed-down kids flowing out of the schools that will never stand against things like drugs, (marijuana is about the become legal in whatever state it was) and Gay marriage, and other junk that brings no benefit to society.
Go burn in hell.
I'm a hardcore Catholic (probably more hardcore than you; I just got home from a two week long catholic camp in the mountains that drained me more than any two weeks in my life both physically and mentally, but filled me up spiritually in the same way) and I don't see anything wrong with gay marriage. Gay people are born that way and have no control over it; if they love someone of their same gender, who are we to say that they can't be married? I'm not saying that gay marriages should be allowed as a part of the sacrament of matrimony because that would simply be contradictory to one of the fundamental aspects of that sacrament, but rather that there is no reason that a man and a man or a woman or a woman should not be able to be registered as one another's spouse.

As I know you're at least a Christian, Bombchu, let me ask you a question:
Who in all of creation has the right to judge?
If you can answer that correctly, you can't possibly disagree with my argument.

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:02 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Dunc2403 said:
Go burn in hell.
I'm a hardcore Catholic (probably more hardcore than you; I just got home from a two week long catholic camp in the mountains that drained me more than any two weeks in my life both physically and mentally, but filled me up spiritually in the same way) and I don't see anything wrong with gay marriage. Gay people are born that way and have no control over it; if they love someone of their same gender, who are we to say that they can't be married? I'm not saying that gay marriages should be allowed as a part of the sacrament of matrimony because that would simply be contradictory to one of the fundamental aspects of that sacrament, but rather that there is no reason that a man and a man or a woman or a woman should not be able to be registered as one another's spouse.

As I know you're at least a Christian, Bombchu, let me ask you a question:
If you can answer that correctly, you can't possibly disagree with my argument.

Go burn in hell.
You do.

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
So because I used a common statement that shows my displeasure with your statement that means I'm judging? I wasn't literally saying that you should burn in hell for that, it was simply a hyperbole. Seeing as you don't know the real answer to that question, I'll just stop here, as anything beyond what I've already said is pointless without you knowing that.

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:25 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Dunc2403 said:
So because I used a common statement that shows my displeasure with your statement that means I'm judging? I wasn't literally saying that you should burn in hell for that, it was simply a hyperbole. Seeing as you don't know the real answer to that question, I'll just stop here, as anything beyond what I've already said is pointless without you knowing that.
Debates 101: Everything you say will be held against you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The answer is God Almighty.

He can, and will judge those who will break his laws.
Romans 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet.

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

31 Without understanding, covenant-breakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
It is foolishness. God made a design for sex/reproduction. Man has tired to take the cheap way out and have free sex without the responsibility of reproduction.