Nov 29, 2008 at 4:25 AM
Neophyte Member
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2008 at 4:56 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Obviously they're what's popular at the moment. I'd say "it's just a fad", but anime fads are pretty HARDCORE. I just avoid them >_>

Nov 29, 2008 at 8:53 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
All MMORPGs suck anyway, but the anime-styled kinds are usually premier among them all. Usually they're imported from Korea and are stupid grindfests with zero immersement whatsoever. They’re bad and the people who play them should feel bad.

Nov 30, 2008 at 1:28 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
There is something really wrong with the game genre, RPG. Why would games that are mainly runaroundandlevelupandsmackyourfoes'headthenwaitforhimtodothesametoyou have so many idiots addicted to them???????

Nov 30, 2008 at 3:06 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
freezit4 said:
There is something really wrong with the game genre, RPG. Why would games that are mainly runaroundandlevelupandsmackyourfoes'headthenwaitforhimtodothesametoyou have so many idiots addicted to them???????
CRPG (Diablo, Baldur's Gate, etc.) or JRPG (Final Fantasy, Star Ocean, etc.)?

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:44 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I may know the names, but I haven't played the games... Really!

JacobX891 said:
Ok, I must put my foot down. There are too many anime-ish MMORPGs on the internet. Here's a damn good example:
http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo222/JacobX89/General-AG-Wonderland-ridiculous.png
I usually don't stick my nose in this kind of business (Since I've never played any MMORPG, as of yet, this is probably a biased opinion), but the only thing about them that would irritate me in the long run is how often they're advertised on sites I check occasionally. I usually can't go anywhere on Newgrounds without seeing Adventure Quest on the bottom of each page (Maybe this doesn't count as MMO or Anime, but oh well) or DeviantArt's particular case of Mabinogi ads recently. Heck, I even recall seeing an ad on YouTube (Of all places) similar to the one JacobX891 found. Darn those intrusive Tracking Cookies...
-_-

The DB Signal has been started again. It just needed reconstruction after it was knocked off of The Dark Platform...

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:39 PM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
andwhyisit said:
CRPG (Diablo, Baldur's Gate, etc.) or JRPG (Final Fantasy, Star Ocean, etc.)?

Yes, all! Even my temporary addiction to Diablo 2 and Pokemon was helped by rushes and uberfastforwards consecutively.(Yea, I'm too cheap I won't buy a GBA or rather, any type of gaming console. Blame piracy?)

CS is (one of) the best game(s) in history because you can enjoy that leveling-up-fun shit but don't need 10 gameplay hours to get your Super Missiles to max, do you?

(btw what did CRPG and JRPG stand for anyway? J for Jap and C for... Cool? [highlight]*wikipeds*[/highlight])

Nov 30, 2008 at 8:46 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
MMOs suffer from one of two things:

1. Anime-inspired art that leaves the game looking decent, but doesn't cover the fact that it blows.

2. Simplistic art style that overshadows the fact that the game itself is actually fun.

MapleStory, for example, is a good representation of #1. I used to play MS for a year, but quit since the game's grind and poor judgement on how quests should be made for certain levels was just bullshit. One of the worst aspects of this was the NX Cash shit, where, for about $50-$75, you could TEMPORARILY make your character look cooler with street clothes or neat equipment items. TOTAL SHIT.

A good example of #2: RuneScape. I said it. The game is actually decent once you get past the fact that every player is evil and that the graphics are evil as well. The ga,e is just mouse clicking, but I like to look at the scientific side of the game and judge every hit, miss, spell cast and all that crap. All through checking stats. It's quite a logical game if you can process it.

Nov 30, 2008 at 8:51 PM
Guy with Sword
Hey, wonderland isn't actually a bad game. It's about as popular in Japan as Ragnarok is in Korea (although in some ways it rips them off badly). It's the only mmo I've seen with a traditional turn-based combat, and it has an interesting manufacture system.

Now when a game is crap, and the company is just trying to make money, then that's understandable. But these companies are spending time and money to make well-structured games, and then handing them to you for free. And you're complaining because the fact that they exist annoys you. And you think that their advertisements are more annoying than "CLICK HERE TO CLAIM YOUR FREE IPOD" or the 'games' that make loud punching or buzzing noises, you know, the ones that actually just want to steal your money?
Making an game online had become ridiculously easy, but making a good game is still a pain in the ass; and when people are wasting their time to spoon-feed you remedial entertainment for free, you might want to think twice before taking it all for granted and making game designers your personal punching bag.

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:08 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Like I put in my previous post, it was a biased opinion on my part. Tracking Cookies would be the real problem (Since they can also bring about those dreadful IPod ads & such), not the MMORPGs or the people who make them.

Dec 1, 2008 at 2:10 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Atravir said:
Hey, wonderland isn't actually a bad game. It's about as popular in Japan as Ragnarok is in Korea (although in some ways it rips them off badly). It's the only mmo I've seen with a traditional turn-based combat, and it has an interesting manufacture system.
I'll take your word for this, but you have to admit that ad is painfully cutesy at first glance :<

YOU ARE THE 999999th PERSON TO SEE THIS AD!!!
CLICK HERE TO CLAIM YOUR FREE PRIZE!!!!!!!

Dec 1, 2008 at 4:27 AM
Guy with Sword
YOU ARE THE 999999th PERSON TO SEE THIS AD!!!
CLICK HERE TO CLAIM YOUR FREE PRIZE!!!!!!!
IT BURNS US!!

I like wonderland because it has an item that lets you auto train, so there's almost no grinding. I got eight levels by leaving it on one weekend while I was out of town.