The Way

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:16 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
http://www.crestfallen.us/index.html
http://www.crestfallen.us/download.html

I downloaded this RPGmaker game years ago... I had read great reviews for it, but, didn't give it a chance. Played a minute of the intro and quit...

... Fast forward to today!
I installed it and ...

... It's very good.

It might seem dated, being the old RPGmaker 2000 series; but it is a marvelous job well done.

It features :

• A well written story, with many interesting non-generic characters to meet along "the way".
  • The world itself is detailed AND unique... I feel like I'm reading a good fantasy web comic or novel as events unfold.

Don't expect a lot of comedy though... the world will continue to shock and surprise you... and test the kind of person you are...
    But, it doesn't get too wordy either. A delicate balance...
  • A unique battle system, besides the regular RPG battles.
  • A linear, episodic format. You won't be free roaming, but following the story of Rhue and the wanderers he meets in his travels.
  • There are tons of cutscenes and plenty of interactive events.
  • Battles and Mini-games are skippable I believe. There are options...
  • I think all the choices you make throughout the game add up. I've tried to be a classical hero-type for the most part, but if I had to guess; I could be quite the opposite... [unless it's just an illusion of choice, haven't gone for the evil path].

I've only played about 6 - 7 hours so far; and I'm still on episode 2 of 6.
I'm looking forward to continuing this tomorrow :pignon2:

I hardly play RPGs anymore... but if you want to explore a >>unique<< world full of danger, and don't mind some classic RPG elements. You should be in for a real show.

Check it out! I'm sure you won't regret it ... [long as it works on your PC]
Make sure you play past the intro and don't make the same mistake I made...

Just download it instead of watching the LEt's Play... but, eh... here it is...

Jul 31, 2011 at 1:07 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Did you make this thread before or am I just remembering an off-hand post?

Either way I played this a little bit. Normal battles were bleh, the secondary battles appeared to be rock-paper-scissors-style like in Suikoden but missing the part where they tell you how they're going to attack and so were just pure dumb luck, the backgrounds were pretty bland, and I distinctly remember someone stabbing me because they wanted my bunny rabbit.

Sell me :pignon2:

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:18 PM
Indie game enthusiast
That sounds like something I'd do... lol

*searches forum...* *searches using google*
Only two mentions of the game :
Grim said:
The Way (http://crestfallen.us/download.html) has what could easily be the best story I've ever seen. Trailer video. (http://www.crestfallen.us/downloads/theway_trailer1.wmv)
X-Calibar said:
One more game then I'm done for now :p
http://www.crestfallen.us/

This RPGmaker RPG called The Way. I've read good things about it. Been on my list to play for ages. Sounds sweet. I wouldn't recommend it if I didn't expect big things from it...

Looks like I'm safe xD

Play it now! Play it now! :droll:

Hmmm... not a good salesman :p

The level of detail in the game should be the main reason for wanting to continue. The world isn't just another generic fantasy flat-bread pizza ... Even picking up items aren't simply : You found blah blah! Your power is raised! ... Instead, everything seems to be carefully crafted, complete with cutscenes and more...

But, even with the detail is it worth it? Things start out random, and I guess you were not sold... And in truth; looking back on it, it starts pretty chaotic.

However, the further you play, the better it seems to get. The more the story comes into focus. I don't know if it will continue to get better and better all the way through [the youtube guy says it does], but I think of it like a webcomic.
A learning experience; he starts the comic ambitious, but all over the place. But, the further he gets, the better it gets. And it IS finished...

I guess the best salesman advice I can give is ... if you enjoyed some part of what you've played so far; then give it some more time to grow and see if it doesn't continue to become more enjoyable.

Perhaps disabling the battles and just speeding through the story until things interest you?

Aug 1, 2011 at 4:06 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
DoubleThink said:
Did you make this thread before or am I just remembering an off-hand post?

Either way I played this a little bit. Normal battles were bleh, the secondary battles appeared to be rock-paper-scissors-style like in Suikoden but missing the part where they tell you how they're going to attack and so were just pure dumb luck, the backgrounds were pretty bland, and I distinctly remember someone stabbing me because they wanted my bunny rabbit.

Sell me :rolleyes:

I've played it. Once you get to a cave the game gets much better. The graphics even change to look better. Well... maybe not battle backgrounds, but so far I like it. I've peaked at other ones, and it appears that the game does get much better. It's not like your playing a game where it takes hours to get good, (cough)ff12(cough).

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:45 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I played this game (all 6 episodes) a year or two ago.

Pretty good, I suppose.

I won't spoil the ending (well, endings, but this applies to all of them), but... it MAKES NO SENSE.

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:33 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Didn't I play that game back in the early 2000s?

Aug 13, 2011 at 5:41 AM
Indie game enthusiast

The land beneath the sky
Echoes of the past decried
A lost love carried on
Words to a lonely song
Everyone must bleed
Truth hides hothing

Well...

It says I had the game running for 320 hours or so... So, I probably *actually* played The Way for about 200-300 hours. That's a LONG time!

I went through all the sidequests and went for something like 100% completion of the game. (well, only played it through once choosing the mostly nicest options); and did all the endings I know I had access to.

Long (unchecked) original review under spoiler...
I'll rate it a wonderful overall rating. It is chalk full of flaws, but it was an adventure to enjoy. The game I believe was rushed, many things cut; and the game was released in episodes, with each one somewhat different than the other.

Art -
Backgrounds - 5/5
They did an excellent job with the various backgrounds and places you travel to. There are a lot of backgrounds that seem familiar (FFVI?), but only a few times throughout the entire game did I have any problem with it.

The brand new backgrounds were especially nice. There were even a few moments I stopped just to look at the scene...

Portraits - 3-4/5
Some of the portraits were excellent. But, the style seems mismatched; some better than others; some simplier than others... So I have to give it lower points for the various conflicting styles...

Pixel Sprites and Characters - 4/5
Some look like basic edits of existing characters... (I keep thinking of Locke from FFVI, when I see Rhue...); But, they did a good job with the edits, and I really have no problem with them.

The sprites for custom items and other various things were all great. It seems like a game that should have been released around FFVI's time in this regard.

Monster pictures - 5/5
No problems with the monsters. If they aren't minor edits of existing sprites, there are some excellent graphics created for this game...

Normal Battle Attacks - 3-4/5
For the most part they are just basic, but not bad. Nothing too special. Not going to find a GONER here.

Plunge Battle Attacks - 4/5
I liked the various graphics used in the plunge battles... It seemed to fit in well, even if it seemed basic sometimes.

Overall Art - 4/5
Well done, could have used some extras to push it higher though. Like posters found in the game could actually have pictures that show up...

Sound and Music -
Music - 4/5
I believe most of the music was taken from various sources, although there were several brand new tracks I think... It is MIDI, so the quality depends on your soundfont.
Most of the songs I recognize from various games I've played, so there is a strong nostalgic factor. Still, they did a nice job... there are MANY songs used in the game. Most fit well. They did many effects with the songs, so that kept it from ever getting stale.

SFX - 4/5
There were many great sound effects. Screams, muffled voices, birds, oceans, altered standard RTP sounds... It almost gets a 5/5. They did a great job with the sound aspect.

Overall Sound - 4/5
Good all around sound. If it had more custom music, it would be a 5/5.

Gameplay -
Normal RPG mode - 7/10
It is your basic RPG mode, walk around... interact, find items, and advance the plot. You can't run, but the character moves fast enough where it isn't an issue.
There are quite a few impossible secrets in the game; where you have to search the exact right spot for some reason... But, these are usually optional, so that's not much of a problem... Still it bothers me, having to find secrets that are placed in hidden sides of buildings, or on a random wall. You end up spending a lot of time pressing along the entire wall, if you want to make sure you don't miss anything...

Most of the game is Linear, except for parts of Chapter 2 and most of 6. The game is usually fast paced in the linear spots, never giving you too much time in one place. Although, the non-linear places can take forever...

Normal battle - 6/10
It is a new spin on the classic RPG battle system. The game needs battle memory, or something to make it less painful later in the game, when you might battle many times in a row. Auto-battle can't be trusted in the more serious battles; and later in the game you'll find the battles to be pretty difficult, especially for any optional win battles... The system is easy to learn, and there are many combinations to try... and the battles are rewarding... But, in the end I'm left wanting more, and feeling tedious when there are many battles in a row.

The battles could use just a few more features or something and they would really shine.

Plunge battle - 8/10
It's a pretty fun concept. In the beginning they can be pretty frustrating, and completely based on chance; especially as you learn the system. But, as you progress; the plunge system becomes slightly more complicated, and I had many battles that I found very rewarding.
There were many simply epic battles, I wish I had recorded lol

Mini games - 8/10
Wow... There are many differnet mini-games throughout the Way. They are all very well done. There are more in the beginning than the end however... Which is too bad. Learning each random mini-game kept things fresh, and helped reveal the story in fun ways.

[Some of them were really TOUGH, if you wanted a good score. Instant death being one of the most annoying..., but winning them well gave a good sense of satisfaction...]

Still, the mini-games were a wonderful addition to the game.

Overall interactive elements - 7/10
It's very good. But, with a game THIS LONG, you need to really pull out all the bells and whistles to make the excellent rating. I don't fault it much, but there could always be that little bit more...

Plot and Cutscenes -
Story - 8/10
The story was epic. There is an amazing amount of detail, and are plenty of twists to the story throughout the adventure... In fact, there are almost TOO many twists!

There are plenty of too convenient scenes though, and unbelieveable happenings... Turns that just aren't how you think it should go...
And, although there are many choices throughout the game, it doesn't greatly affect the outcome except in several spots. Still, the great amount of choices add a great deal to the game.

It's a really wonderful universe and setting... There is TONS of potential, and only some of it is tapped. At the end, I'm left wanting more... But, I'm somewhat satisfied...

Cutscenes - 9/10
For most of the game, I have to say the cutscenes and scripted events are the BIG THUMBS UP in advancing the story. And the story is the BIG point of this game, even with its flaws...

The cutscenes ranged from mind-blowing, tear-jerking to non-existent. But, when they were there, they captured your attention. Excellent job with the cutscenes... [you could actually factor in some of the mini-games, and even the plunges into some of the cutscenes... Seemless.]

Overall Plot and Storytelling - 8/10
It was genius, it was mad. There were so many stories to be had. I travelled for days, and never became bored. There were just that many stories to be ... yours?

Anyways, the Way was ALL about the story. In my opinion it's a Cave Story level RPGmaker game. So much to figure out, and so many new things to experience.

It easily reaches 10/10 at some points throughout the game, but since the game varies so wildly at points... It lacks a balanced continuity.

Chapter 6 needs to be updated to 2.0, with the original extra features intact; and then a final pass needs to be made to merge the 6 games into one seemless adventure, and perhaps adding some of ideas that didn't make it. And for perfection, add a final Chapter 7; and you'll have a beast of an epic story.

Conclusion - 8/10
The game sets new standards for RPGmaker games...; ...no for all RPGs.
It doesn't have to be NEW and SHINY to be amazing. This game might fall short of being a masterpiece due to its haphazard storytelling (at times), but it attempted something beautiful.

I'll leave you with words (summarized from what I remember) from the in-game creator : (Think Hermit Gunsmith)

A certain character speaks about a masterpiece of a painting. You look at it, and say "You sure know how to pick them..."
"You don't like it?"

"It's ruined! The middle of the painting is completely torn off!"

"I tore it out myself, but I think I like it this way..."
"..."

I enjoyed The Way a lot.

It was a journey I won't soon forget...

I don't think I'd recommend it to everyone...
(It helps to be a fan of RPGmaker/classic SNES RPGs)

And it isn't without its fair share of problems : scenes that didn't make it into the game; battles that are too montonous despite the new system; or haphazardly paced; convenient storytelling, etc...
But all the while, I was absorbed into The Way despite any problems; and I STILL *want* more! If there are more RPGmaker games out there on this level I've really been missing out.