The sickeningly cheerful say hello, introduce yourself; now where's my cookie? topic.

Mar 17, 2016 at 3:42 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The fact that it breaks certain NPCs and bosses and I believe heavily optimizes the executable. I sure wouldn't want to try assembly hacking a 2xres executable if that's the case. It also makes spriting everything a pain, but that's probably not as much of an issue if spriting is your main focus.

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:12 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I believe heavily optimizes the executable.

A boss or 2 have their code overwritten to do some of the stuff the 2x res hack does, but I'd hardly say it "heavily optimizes" anything. More than anything else, it hacks away at the graphics code to get it doing what we want (2x scale for everything), but this came at the cost of the game not displaying the graphics properly on a small percentage of computers, and just not running at all on a percentage of that percentage.

Mar 17, 2016 at 6:47 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
If you want a x2 Res mod, just make assets for plus porter

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:32 PM
Professional Whatever
A boss or 2 have their code overwritten to do some of the stuff the 2x res hack does, but I'd hardly say it "heavily optimizes" anything. More than anything else, it hacks away at the graphics code to get it doing what we want (2x scale for everything), but this came at the cost of the game not displaying the graphics properly on a small percentage of computers, and just not running at all on a percentage of that percentage.

Oh my mistake, I haven't looked at it recently so I was mistaken. I guess it's not horrible to try and get then, but I'd still suggest holding off until you explore the modding scene a bit more.

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:39 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Wow, I missed several replies while I was at college today--thank you, everyone, I really appreciate your input! Now to reply one at a time, essentially, so responses don't get jumbled. owo

@zxin: Duly noted about the 2x Res Mod, but from what I've read thus far, it sounds just a liiiiittle cumbersome. I may stick to making the HD sprites for Cave Story+, for those that have it, and seek to learn the smaller, original style as well for the original CS. Thank you for the thought though, I appreciate it. 'w'

@Doors: Actually, that sounds like good advice in terms of attempting to mimic the smaller style--thank you very much, I'll have to try it! 8D On another note, would it be pestering to PM you, and get a bit of input on the HD sprites I've done so far?

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:00 PM
Professional Whatever
Absolutely not! I fancy myself more of an artist in relevance to game design, and I'd be happy to give my input!

Apr 30, 2016 at 9:02 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The meme magic of Polar* brought me here to post on the forums.

All because his newest game soft-locked on me.

May 27, 2016 at 4:54 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I'm GunbladeMaster34. I go by either GBM34, or Boktai (my other u/n)
I'm not much of a talker, but I have my chatty moments.
I generally get along well unless if you rub me the wrong way, but that takes a lot to cross the line.
I welcome all newcomers to these forums. Enjoy yourself, don't piss of the admins, and have a nice day. :debug:

Jun 25, 2016 at 5:18 PM
Lurking in the Shadows
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
Hello. I thought about signing up on this forum since I'm a fan of Cave Story. I first learned about Cave Story back when the PSP homebrew scene was more alive than what it is now. Presently, I only play Cave Story through Steam, though I do plan on getting Cave Story 3D in the future.

Aug 5, 2016 at 4:46 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Ello *Insert cheerful / funny introduction here*
Long story short I'm a huge cave story fan and I talk way too much about it and tend to annoy the frick out of everyone around me with it
(Especially when I start talking about the music...like god somebody stop me already)
For example as I'm writing this I'm listening to Access, and I can't stop humming the melody...

>w<

I made my account here I-forgot-how-many minutes ago because...
I don't know why I haven't made it earlier!
Oh well

(Also I heard you get cookies if you make an account so yay I love cookies c: )

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:08 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
You do get cookies, I hope you like the intangible chip ones. Here's five!

Admittedly, because both Cave Story and these forums are older than a decade, everyone here has played Cave Story to bits and we're almost all talked out about most parts of it! This is the elephant in the room when it comes to bright new recruits, one I feel a little bad about...but hey. We continue on, especially for the more creative side of things (modding is pretty popular if tricky to execute well, and ORG making may be your style if you've an ear for music). Feel free to share what you're passionate about, too, I have most of the soundtrack on my phone and Gestation is still one of my favorite songs. c:

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:28 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Gestation is great! Though I like Mishievous Robot a bit more~
Modding and music making...
I'm slowly getting there, although my dead brain does not want to let me at all
Yeah, I expected not to see many "newbies" here, heh
Yes, chip cookies are great c:

(Yes, I just replied to your post in reverse order)

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:45 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I'm a huge cave story fan and I talk way too much about it and tend to annoy the frick out of everyone around me with it
(Especially when I start talking about the music...like god somebody stop me already)
Don't worry I think we all do that sometimes. Myself included.

Aug 5, 2016 at 6:05 PM
No seriously like one time I tried to explain to my mom how the .org format works and after like 20 minutes she just went "Please, enough is enough..."

Aug 6, 2016 at 10:20 PM
Lurking in the Shadows
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
Hey ho :D
So i'm new here (its visible i think) so i have to say hello (did waste 2 hours of my life trying to find this topic)
Sooo, I'm Miu, 18 years old, French. Can i have my cookie now?
Oh and I discovered CaveStory goin in a convention and a friend was cosplayed as Curly. So she introduce me at this... fandom. x)

can i have my cookie now?

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:29 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've lurked here for a while, decided it was time to make an account. I uh, write, and draw, and play mods...so yeah.