The sickeningly cheerful say hello, introduce yourself; now where's my cookie? topic.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:23 PM
/end
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Depends on the thread as well, while there aren't many if a thread is good enough but hasn't been posted in for a while I believe they deserve a bump.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:19 AM
"Huzzah!"
Hello ElecMaw! Welcome to the forums. Have a chinfish. :chin: you should feel very special, because there is only one.

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:07 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Hey, I'm Ciax. If you couldn't tell already I animate Cave Story sprites. Or at least edited ones.
I'm pretty bad at the game itself (still can't beat hell level on Easy Mode lulz) but uh I was wondering if there was a particular place for getting maps for the game. I'm making a fan-made animated series following 120 years after the events of Cave Story (with the good ending), and I thought this forum would be a nice place to start since I've only delved into the Cave Story fandom recently and it's already one of my favorite games of all time.

I know this isn't an introduction section so if there's a specific section that moderators could move this to, that'd be great.

Some of my (edited) sprites for my series is below, I guess the majority of this thread was actually created in offers if anyone needs particular sprites for the game since I'm decent at pixel art haha.
ss-2013-05-15.jpg

clip-2013-04-04.jpg

Portait_Collin.png

ss-2013-04-05.png

stat.png

Anyways, I apologize if this thread is considered pointless and violates any regulations of the forum. I take all responsibility necessary if those rules are violated.

I didn't see what else I could post in the meantime, so I suppose this really is more of an introduction thread. Regardless, I'm looking forward to meeting you all.

~Ciax

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:25 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
If you want to get the pieces that make up the maps, otherwise known as tiles, then just go to the data folder and change the file extensions from .pbm to .bmp. Now, if you want to get the maps themselves you will have to follow these steps:
  • Go to cavestory.org then downloads, then editors and download Cave Editor.
  • Then right-click your 'doukutsu' folder (your cave story folder), and click properties and change make sure the box saying 'Read-Only' is unchecked, then when it asks if you want to change all other files and folders inside click yes.
  • Now open Cave Editor and click 'File' then 'Load' and find and click your 'doukutsu.exe'.
  • Now when you look at Cave Editor you can see the area where it says 'Maps' now has a long list of names underneath it. These are all the maps that make up the game and can be edited in any way

Hope this helps, if you need any more details on Cave Editor check around the modding section of the forums, there is a large amount of detailed information there and if you still can't find any info that you need ask a question in the Quick Modding/Hacking Answers thread.

Welcome to the forums! :mahin:

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:25 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Hey, welcome to the forums! And awesome spritework. We have a thread in the Satellite Lounge meant for introductions, but a mod/admin can easily move your thread and you won't get in trouble. For any questions, check out the quick modding/hacking questions thread.

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:29 AM
Professional Whatever
48x48 faces...so you want the vanilla CS files? It's pretty easy, just download the game from cavestory.org, go into your data folder and change whatever files you want to edit from .pbm format to .bmp format. You just have to rename them.

E: damt double ninja'd

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:31 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Welcome to the Cave Story Forums, ciax! Have a cookie.

*offers cookie*

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:59 AM
@Polaris, you are a user of good taste. Always bringing cookies into things. You are a fine individual. You must bake a lot. @ciaxel: Welcome! Your pixel art looks great and I'm interested to see where you go with the animated series. In case you were not aware, I thought that I would mention to you that there is a whole thread on the forums dedicated to pixel art, which you might find interesting. Check it out here. Perhaps also of interest is this fun pixel art collab project, which has been in the works for some time.

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:41 AM
duncathan Online
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
I was almost angry about this thread because we have one but then I read your post and hey! You're actually cool! Accepting responsibility for breaking rules? God damn, you just made my day. Welcome to the forums, I'm sure you'll be well-liked around here.

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:16 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Mosaic said:
@Polaris, you are a user of good taste. Always bringing cookies into things. You are a fine individual. You must bake a lot.
Thanks!

I do bake some. I'm not very good yet, but hey...

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:46 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Welcome! You seem like a nice fellow.

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Welcome to the forums! I was almost angry about this thread because I assumed since Dunc2403 posted, it was going to end in some kind of argument and hey! He didn't get mad! Let's retain this peace and enjoy ourselves then.

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:06 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Howdy, welcome to the forums, dude :) Also, I'm liking the pixel art you got going on. I also do a bit of pixel art myself-->
p115365-0-runningcharacterspritebysentinentcodexd5yklcv.gif

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:25 PM
I didn't get an opening like this... Welcome to the forums, expect some... rather... odd, to say? Occurrences, but that's for later.

(On a side note, if you learn CaveEditor you'll be able to succeed in making some good mods.)

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:17 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
Welcome to the forums! Your pixel art is really nice. Its nice to meet a new member with originality. :)

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Next time please use the appropriate thread. Except there won't be a next time in this case, since you're only "new" here once.

I know that when you first get here it might seem like there's only the Cave Story forums and that this should go in general discussion, but if you explore you'll find various subforums like the Satellite Lunch and the General Gamer.

May 3, 2013 at 5:51 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Greetings, peasants mortals people. I'm an old member that hasn't been on in forever, and I seriously MEAN forever (Used to go by yinyang147, but I see that name's not on the member's list anymore. Oh well).

Didn't really do anything big for the place, so I doubt anybody'd remember me =/ used to dabble in just about everything CS modding in the privacy of a laptop without internet ._. Fast forward to today, I've gotten a computer with net, and joined the world of internet gaming proper. Shooters, beat-em-ups, MMOs, heck even card games. But I still hold a Quote-shaped spot in my heart for the 2D platformer we all know and love. (If my funds would allow, and if I could find them, I'd have bought one of every Cave Story port released for sale in the US, twice >.>)

Sooooo that's me. Now, where's that cookie stand...

May 3, 2013 at 6:01 AM
Professional Whatever
Welcome (back)! We're like ten times better probably than you remember us. Also ten times worse. I guess it depends from time to time.

May 3, 2013 at 6:14 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
MagicDoors said:
Welcome (back)! We're like ten times better probably than you remember us. Also ten times worse. I guess it depends from time to time.

After observing the latest postings of an ex-admin, I'm going to guess this place has seen better days ._. At least it's still active, though.