The sickeningly cheerful say hello, introduce yourself; now where's my cookie? topic.

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:18 PM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Oh my god seeing that string of random numbers makes me want to cry, I'll never remember that
I know it seems hypocritical but I sort of have an obsession with knowing who people are, and random numbers that I'll never remember just makes it worse

So uhh
Welcome to the forums, Dinny!

I was like "how is that hypocrit--" and then I looked. And laughed.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:28 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Has it really been that long since you guys got new members, or are people just not really hot on intro threads?
I'd say it's more likely that the most recent batch of users haven't been literate enough to find the intro thread.
And also maybe the second thing but *shuurrrgg*

Either way it's always nice to have new members that aren't still in middle school.

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:32 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I never had a proper introduction myself!

I'm srpokemon, commander of the league of narwhals. I come to this planet bearing a message about the aliens that are coming to attack your measly planet. You have no chance of survival, have fun.

:orangebell:

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:46 PM
Whoa, people are online.

I'd say it's more likely that the most recent batch of users haven't been literate enough to find the intro thread.
And also maybe the second thing but *shuurrrgg*

Either way it's always nice to have new members that aren't still in middle school.

Are you actually suggesting that this forum is secretly full of illiterate middle-schoolers? I guess it explains things.

It's nice to be here. :p

I never had a proper introduction myself!

I'm srpokemon, commander of the league of narwhals. I come to this planet bearing a message about the aliens that are coming to attack your measly planet. You have no chance of survival, have fun.

:orangebell:

Never too late I guess. :) Hi hi. I'll be underneath this rock over here. It's really strong. Pretty sure I'll be OK.

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:51 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I don't think you can withstand the wrath of this amazing MA LAZER, no one in the world (not even a rock) can take 1 shot from this amazing machine. And if you can survive it, I can fire it again.

Also many welcomes to you forum user number 43501 :)

Aug 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Errr...
Well anyway, welcome!

Aug 5, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Finally someone has the common sense to post in this thread, gosh.
Please be awesome, we could use more awesome people here.
You're our only hope D:

Aug 6, 2012 at 12:11 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Are you actually suggesting that this forum is secretly full of illiterate middle-schoolers?
You might be surprised. Or maybe you've lurked enough that you wouldn't be surprised.

Come to think of it, I don't think I ever posted an intro in this thread, either. I guess I'm guilty of not posting not because I'm in middle school, nor because I'm illiterate (at least I'd like to think otherwise), but rather because I'm lazy or something. So here's my hello to everyone, even though I'm not that new here, and welcome to 43501 and any others whom I have missed. If there's anything that you're dying to know about the mysterious user that sits behind my computer that you haven't been able to glean from whatever I've already written on this here forum, do drop me a line.

Anyway. I'm 43501, or Dinny if you'd prefer not to view me as a string of numbers. I'm 20, female and Australian. I go to law school and it consumes half my life.

Only half your life? I'm in grad school (I'm not sure if law school is like grad school in Australia, the way it is in the States), too, and it seems like it consumes more than half of my life. It feels like it, anyway. But then again, I type this as I'm on the tail end of summer break and haven't done a whole lot related to school for a bit. Maybe it's not so bad after all.

I might add that it's not necessarily a bad thing to have another member who has already completed at least two decades of life, even if we might tend to skew the average age of forum members up by a hearty bit.

Aug 6, 2012 at 12:24 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I might add that it's not necessarily a bad thing to have another member who has already completed at least two decades of life, even if we might tend to skew the average age of forum members up by a hearty bit.
Agreed, but I didn't want to set my standards too high because really that'd just be setting myself up for disappointment.

Aug 6, 2012 at 12:41 AM
True. I suppose it doesn't hurt to be realistic. Also, what I like about the way you worded it is that you made it clear that we aren't interested in having a majority of people on this forum who in their third decade of life but still in middle school.

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:44 AM
Been here way too long...
Thank you kindly.
You're very welcome Dinny, and keep in mind if you have any problems, talk to me and I will help you.
Let's go eat, hoh, come on let's go.

(you're probably confused)
Are you actually suggesting that this forum is secretly full of illiterate middle-schoolers?
It's not a secret at all, just look at some of the posts and you'll see why we're ecstatic to have someone else who acts like an adult around here. I don't want to come on too strong, but... please stay a while. Please. We get lonely here.

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:46 AM
Finally someone has the common sense to post in this thread, gosh.
Please be awesome, we could use more awesome people here.
You're our only hope D:

Whoa, it's you. Talking to me. I feel validated as hell right now.

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome and I'll try!

Only half your life? I'm in grad school (I'm not sure if law school is like grad school in Australia, the way it is in the States), too, and it seems like it consumes more than half of my life. It feels like it, anyway. But then again, I type this as I'm on the tail end of summer break and haven't done a whole lot related to school for a bit. Maybe it's not so bad after all.

Nah, the systems are pretty different. Here, you'll study R-12. Your 12th grade exam scores determine your eligibility for university entrance. Medical and law school are usually their own thing. If you're a citizen, the government pays for your tertiary education and doesn't expect you to start paying it off until you reach a certain earning bracket.

I'm currently in my 3rd year of law school. Under ordinary circumstances I'd graduate at the end of next year and be eligible for practice, but I'll be switching to part-time next year due to circumstances beyond my control. It'll delay my graduation by about a year and a half.

So, what sort of stuff are you studying at grad school? Isn't that for honors/phd level study? I can see why it would be more demanding than what I'm doing now.

You're very welcome Dinny, and keep in mind if you have any problems, talk to me and I will help you.
Let's go eat, hoh, come on let's go.

(you're probably confused)

It's not a secret at all, just look at some of the posts and you'll see why we're ecstatic to have someone else who acts like an adult around here. I don't want to come on too strong, but... please stay a while. Please. We get lonely here.

Holy crap people who have watched The Room. Although I wouldn't have gotten the reference immediately without the link. :orangebell:

*Pets* Okay

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Nah, the systems are pretty different. Here, you'll study R-12. Your 12th grade exam scores determine your eligibility for university entrance. Medical and law school are usually their own thing. If you're a citizen, the government pays for your tertiary education and doesn't expect you to start paying it off until you reach a certain earning bracket.
Cool. It's always good to hear about how other people's education systems and such work.

43501 said:
I'm currently in my 3rd year of law school. Under ordinary circumstances I'd graduate at the end of next year and be eligible for practice, but I'll be switching to part-time next year due to circumstances beyond my control. It'll delay my graduation by about a year and a half.
I don't know about the specifics of your circumstances, but taking more time to graduate isn't necessarily a bad thing. In some respects, I would have liked to have taken more time on one or more of my degrees so that I could have worked during school so that I would not have had to have taken out student loans, meaning that I would have graduated with significantly less debt to pay off. That might not be as much of an issue for you based on how things work in Australia, but taking time and being able to enjoy life as a student isn't necessarily a bad thing, either.

43501 said:
So, what sort of stuff are you studying at grad school? Isn't that for honors/phd level study? I can see why it would be more demanding than what I'm doing now.
What I usually tell people is that I study musicology, which is the academic study of music. More specifically, I study ethnomusicology, which deals with questions about how and why people make music. We look at how music and dance are put together, their social, political, cultural, and historical contexts, and all kinds of stuff like that. My particular area of study is in Cuban music and dance, which means that aside from lots and lots of reading, my research involves things like dancing with people and talking to them about what they do. It could certainly be worse. :) I just finished my Master's degree and am about to start working on my PhD.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:36 AM
So, I guess this goes here even though I'm technically not "new". Hello, people. Sick Bastard has returned and he is here to muss your hair and ruffle your feathers and tickle your tushie etc.

Actually, I like to think I've changed quite a bit from my older self. I'll leave that to you all to decide, but if anybody remembers what I was like while I was active, let me say that I hope I am a lot more mellow than I was back then.

I've also been (somewhat) quietly developing my artistic skill, and I hope it shows in some way or another. Will be posting my (currently lone, mildly crap) example in the fanart thread.

And once more, hello!

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:06 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Jeez, I just now realized that you only joined a month or so before I did. I always thought you were older than that but I guess I group "any member active before I signed up" in the same bin.

I don't remember much about you (besides that avatar and that you once offered to help me with my mod but I was too busy being a dork to give you something to do) though because while you were here I had my nose pretty much glued to the modding subforums. But I do hope we can all be palz (with a z so you know I'm hip)

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:07 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
This thread is now truly sickeningly cheerful haha geddit I'm sorry

Aug 7, 2012 at 7:52 AM
We can totally be palzz, Noxid. I spelled that with two zs because I'm actually more hipper than u all but I'll let that slide ok

This thread is now truly sickeningly cheerful haha geddit I'm sorry

p826-0-1300044776986.jpg