The Show

Oct 23, 2011 at 1:18 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
That won't be very helpful feedback for him if you do want it to be better.

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:16 AM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Hello Cave Story Forums! I have good news, actually. Turns out, I can work on The Show on this computer! And, not to mention I got stuff done today.
I actually ran out of usable maps! So I'm going to have to split up this mod into two parts, called episodes to go with The Show's theme of being a television show. There will be two episodes, with Episode 2 being much shorter, only containing two rounds. Episode 1, for now, will just be what demo I had released, Demo 5, though with slight bug fixes, such as fixing all of the facepics(I think) and a bug at the very beginning. Anyway, it's not completely finished, with the graphics and all, but believe me, I'm still working on those! So, without going any further, I'd like to introduce you all to The Show Episode 1!

Download link.

Nov 4, 2011 at 4:59 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Will there be any difficulties lining up the two different paths in the second part?

Nov 4, 2011 at 4:01 PM
Hey.
DoubleThink said:
Will there be any difficulties lining up the two different paths in the second part?

What do you mean?

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:56 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
that thing where you can choose to go with pooh black or not and stuff afterwards is different depending on the path you choose

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:30 AM
Hey.
I think it's time I updated this, especially seeing as how that link doesn't even work anymore because Mediafire's being stupid. Okay, so, I'm going to be releasing a series of updates to Episode 1 every once in a while, though hopefully this doesn't lead to me quadruple posting. So,this version fixes various things in the first round, such as the Omega boss fight, and it updates some of the graphics too, again, Omega. There are also slight level redesigns that you might not notice unless you've really memorized any of the previous version. Without further delay, here's the link to The Show Episode 1 v1.1:

http://www.mediafire.com/?x8xzm6wa3rf1pqn

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:20 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
*RAGE* too much content to take! Its a long one it is. Props for the mod though its great!

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:26 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Yeah good mod i really look foward to the next Episode!!!

Mar 9, 2012 at 4:53 AM
Hey.
Alright, new version. Season 1 is pretty much finished. I have a bit of graphical stuff to take care of, but that's just about it. Anyway, here's a download, if you haven't already played it, I suggest you do it now!

The Show Season 1 v1.0.0.4

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:37 AM
Based Member
Hi. I've been meaning to play this mod for some time, and finally got around to it. I'm just going to point out the glitches at this point, and by the end you'll see why. I am running the latest version.

Glitches:

- The jumping Puchi sprite is single resolution.
- When the text for the end of episode one ending goes, I can hear myself shooting when I try to fast forward through the text.
- When I'm in that room not far through episode 3 and I go to that door after traversing some of those appearing platforms, I get an error message. I looked at the error.log file to find that it was an error with "Prtve.bmp,". I looked for it in the mod's directory to discover what the problem was. The file wasn't there! I'm not sure if you forgot to include the file in the download, or if it's asking for the wrong file, but I'm gonna want you to fix this glitch so that I can progress the mod.

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:01 AM
Hey.
Hi. I've been meaning to play this mod for some time, and finally got around to it. I'm just going to point out the glitches at this point, and by the end you'll see why. I am running the latest version.

Glitches:

- The jumping Puchi sprite is single resolution.
- When the text for the end of episode one ending goes, I can hear myself shooting when I try to fast forward through the text.
- When I'm in that room not far through episode 3 and I go to that door after traversing some of those appearing platforms, I get an error message. I looked at the error.log file to find that it was an error with "Prtve.bmp,". I looked for it in the mod's directory to discover what the problem was. The file wasn't there! I'm not sure if you forgot to include the file in the download, or if it's asking for the wrong file, but I'm gonna want you to fix this glitch so that I can progress the mod.

Thanks for the feedback.

- I'm aware of that, I'll finish that in the next version.
- Oh, thanks for pointing that out, I'm on it.
- That's weird, would you mind showing an image of the door you're referring to?

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:04 PM
Based Member
When I go through this door:
Impossibledoor.jpg

The game crashes. According to the error.log file, it has something to do with Prtve.bmp. Is such an image supposed to exist? Because I looked for it in the mod's directory, but didn't find such a file.

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:14 PM
Hey.
That is very strange. It appears to be that the map's tileset was set to nothing, I really don't understand why. Sorry about that, here's a fixed version. Keep in mind, I didn't change any of the graphics yet, so the frogs are going to be the same, this is just a bug fix.

Mar 30, 2012 at 1:18 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I just got both endings of season one. I really like the tile sets, the level designs, the sprites, and other stuff. Can't wait for Season two :toroko2:

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM
Hey.
I just got both endings of season one. I really like the tile sets, the level designs, the sprites, and other stuff. Can't wait for Season two :toroko2:

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:56 PM
Based Member
So, I finally got around to playing this. Now don't be discouraged, but even though this is one of those mods that seemed to have a lot more work put into it than some other mods, I didn't enjoy it THAT much. It was still fairly fun at times though. Anyway, here's what I think:
Storyline: 6/10 Fair. A narrator taking you through a buch of levels is really not that exciting. The whole goal of stopping an Affably Evil bar of soap while traversing through levels with virtually No Fourth Wall meets my definition for a mundane storyline. But it's neat how you can ride along two different paths depending on how you reply to Pooh Black.

Dialog: 7/10 Good. For what the storyline is, your dialog does a pretty good job of accommodating the situation. I get several laughs out of various lines, and I see that you really, really like to use the expression ":J," a lot.

Level Design: 7/10 Good. Some of your rooms have good level design, while others are barely passable in that respect. Levels that take place on or underneath the surface, or in spaceships have pretty good design. But levels in the sky don't really have the bells and whistles I think a good map should. If all of your maps were designed like episode 3, then you probably would have received a 4/10 for level design.

Gameplay: 6/10 fair. I'm really not a fan of the episodic approach. Especially the way you do it. For the first few episodes, you just waltz on through a room, and before you know it, you're at the next episode. That's an interesting approach you took by starting the player out with 30 HP, and letting that remain static throughout the whole game. I also was not expecting that little assembly hack that only allowed the booster 0.8 to be activated if you were under water.

Custom Graphics: 7/10 Good. Ah, looks like someone applied for GIR and Nox's 2x res hack. Most of the new tile sets and double resolution sprites were ok. Though there are still a lot of single resolution sections of your tilesets and spritesheets. You seem to be aware of this though.

Custom Music: 7/10 Good. Your custom songs are pretty good! Not as good as Pixel or GIR, but still worth listening to. Some tunes don't grab me as much as others, but one or two of them, I really like. I've noticed a remix of a song I'm already familiar with. There are probably more that I don't know about. One thing though, is that the choices for certain situations is not always all that fitting. Also, your edits to songs pre-existing in Cave Story are inferior to their original counterparts in my opinion.

Glitches:
- When Episode four starts, I see a blank text box, hear the text sound a bunch, and just see "over." Is this supposed to happen?
TheShow2.jpg
- When I took a rest for the first time near the beginning of episode 4, a Gaudi was right on top of me after I got up, and there was nothing I could do about it since I couldn't move during a cutscene. So when the cutscene ended, I got hurt, and there was nothing I could do about it.
- Often times when I'm playing this mod, it starts slowing down, down, down, until it freezes and crashes. For some reason, I'm wantnig to say that you didn't import the double resolution hack into this mod as cleanly as Noxid and GIRakaCHEEZER did into their mods, seeing as how I don't have this problem with them.
- If I jump down to here, then I'm stuck, and I can chose between jumping off the edge and dying, or resetting the game.
TheShow4.jpg
- When I try to go back through this door, all I get is a text sound. Also, when I went through the door that took me there, there was no door opening animation or sound.
TheShow23.jpg
Also, when I entered that area, and the narrator spoke, there was no narrator face picture.
- "Uh,get ready," should be "Uh, get ready,"
- "Don't go looking for =that thing in the desert=, you hear?" There's no <NOD at the end.
- "You're a skilled fighter, correct?" the "You're," looks like there's an unnecessary space behind the "You're,"
- "Good luck. 30"
- First off, it's difficult to jump down there without falling off the edge. Second, when I fall off that edge, I fall off the edge of the map, and the game doesn't tell me off for falling to my death. So I have to reset the game:
TheShow17.jpg
- Take a look at this:
TheShow20.jpg
- I could stand right in this corner:
TheShow25.jpg
And my invincibility would instantaneously reset, and I would get killed in a heartbeat.
- When Season one finishes during the path of not cooperating with Pooh Black, it says Episode one has ended. I think you meant to say Season 1.
Overall Score: 6/10 Fair. This mod had a lot of work put into it, has some interesting sprite work, and is pretty funny at times. But it's gameplay style is nothing to talk about, has an incomplete 2x resolution upgrade, and could do with a bit more testing. There's also room for improvement on the custom face pictures. Though I did enjoy playing this mod to some extent.

Comments/Other concerns:
- When you defeat Pooh Black in the form of the resprited Doctor, he turns into the defeated Pooh Black, and it just looks awkward.
- I didn't really understand why Quote had to start riding on your back after he'd been fighting alongside you.
- I really don't think this alternate route of leading to your death should exist:
TheShow24.jpg
- When you fight Quote, he wields the Polar Star. But when you fight along side him, he has the machine gun. Ho. Ho. Ho.

May 6, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Based Member
Hi. Sorry for the double and necro post, but I just realized something. I'm running a ten-year-old laptop with a 1024x768 screen. On Christmas of 2011, I received a docking station and a 1080p monitor. I now hook up that laptop to the docking station and use it through that monitor. When I played King's Story and WTF Story, I hadn't upgraded yet. But when I first played this mod, I had. 2x res mods don't run as smoothly when I have it hooked up to the HD monitor, and when I tried WTF Story on it, I was pretty much experiencing the problem with it running slowly, slower, slower, crash. When I undocked my laptop, I realized I'm not having this problem. So basically the whole point of this post is to say that I wrongly accused you of not implementing the 2x resolution hack into your mod as cleanly as Nox and GIR did into theirs. Sorry!

May 6, 2012 at 11:14 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
So basically the whole point of this post is to say that I wrongly accused you of not implementing the 2x resolution hack into your mod as cleanly as Nox and GIR did into theirs. Sorry!
It's funny because I use the exact same implementation for every mod