The Science of Cave Story

Jan 14, 2008 at 6:08 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
andwhyisit said:
I think the core was made by Jenka to contain ballos and became twisted by its exposure to ballos' magic and insanity, like the red flowers were.

I think I recall hearing that the spell to contain ballos was a powerful one that left Jenka dry of magic, but this is yet to be confirmed.
What is the Core anyways?
(I mean, as long as we're on the subject...)
It has both aspects of plant and animal, seems to command some form of organic dynamo (RECALL: Giant energy spheres, wisps (blue sperm-looking things) and spinners (the shuriken-things), I imagine those must require some source of power...), and it seems to defy death...

On the plant/animal side of things:
Plant like features:
Appearance
Cell sturcture (inferred, it seems to lack a skeleton, so needs to have cell-level structure for it's size, or perhaps and exo-skeleton (which would make it like an insect))

Animal like features:
Locomotion
Active denfense of itself (Recall the use of the little-cores as shields, the closing of it's "eye".)

Just throwing this out there.

Jan 15, 2008 at 12:16 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Roonil Wazlib said:
I thought Misery sends Balrog AFTER Ballos dies. Which means that she teleported him to the Seal Chamber.

Well, to think it logically, they were not free to make decisions on their own with Ballos alive, and so Misery could not send Balrog to save Quote and Curly even if she wanted to. They only realised that they were free of the curse when Ballos died, meaning that Quote had "saved" them and that they wanted to repay them by having Balrog go get them out of hell.

Emm you may not understand this tangle of word-stuffroz cause theres alot of thoughts going through my head that my brain is going faster than my fingers can type ><

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:15 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Tis a mystery! Like Misery, Balrog and the Demon Crown...

I understand what you are saying Metalogz~
The big question on my mind is how the Demon Crown works...

-The Demon Crown controls Misery and Balrog due to the curse.
-Misery turned on the Doctor in his red mist form...

=Perhaps after the Doctor's insane form's destruction into the red mist, the Demon Crown became broken somehow? I mean it was turned into the red mist...

EDIT: Perhaps Misery and Balrog's allegience lies not with the Crown Bearer, but with the Crown itself... They may respect a great Crown Bearer, but when one fails [such as repeatedly losing to robots...] ... Depends how the Crown/Curse works I guess.. who knows

-In the intro we see Misery and Balrog trapped in those bubbles next to the Demon Crown...

=Perhaps if the Demon Crown is destroyed, Misery and Balrog have a certain degree of freedom, until the rebirth of the Demon Crown... [before they get bubble cursed]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeBYp-_3H1o
This video shows Ballos dying at 4:24 minutes...

-The island stops falling immediately after Ballos' physical death.
-Misery and Balrog have 30-50 seconds after Ballos' death, then the walls begin to close in.

-Misery appears immediately after the first Core battle.

What is Balrog's form of travel? Busting through walls? or perhaps offscreen teleportation?

I don't think Misery teleported Balrog into the room at the seal room at the end...
His Hiyah, is more like his typical Huzzah entrances... Balrog must be pretty handy at getting around, and perhaps there was a secret passage or something that helped him get there fast...

"Hiyah!"
"There you are!"
"Just like Misery said."

"You came to rescue us!"

"Hold on tight!!"
"Let's go!"
"Owooooooooooooooooohhh!"
"Nah, don't thank me. I was just doing what Misery asked me to do."
"Misery? You mean that witch?"

"That's right."

"You beat Ballos right?"
"When you did that, it lifted our curse."
"Now neither of us has to take orders from anyone!"

Misery could have been weakened from the final Doctor battles. We don't know where Balrog has been since leaving the labyrinth, but I might guess he had been hanging around somewhere nearby... At least when the island started to fall that would make Balrog probably find Misery.
By the time the curse is broken Misery tells Balrog where the robots are, and probably has a good idea it'll be dangerous; and tells Balrog to hurry and save them. And the rest is history...

If Misery could simply teleport Balrog in, she could simply have teleported in and out probably... and the text sounds like Balrog had been rushing there....

Maybe!

*cough* So what about the Demon Crown...
What are the known Demon Crown's powers?

-Teleportation [Doctor teleports into Core room]
-Levitation [Floats around in the core room]
-Summoning creatures, like bats. [I don't think the red crystal summoned these... Transformed Sue could only fight using melee]
-Shooting glowy projectiles [Transformed Sue could only fight using melee, Misery could shoot black ones of these]
-Control creatures affected by the Red Flowers or Crystals [Final Doctor battle]
-Control Balrog and Misery

What are the known Red Crystal's powers?

-Increased strength and durability [doctor can take a beating]
-Enhanced magic powers? [doctor glows slightly red and his magic projectiles are red, he could shoot more than Misery could]
-Raging transformation [became Doctor's 2nd form]

What are their combined powers?

-Being defeated does not result in death, but a transformation into the Red Mist or that energy creature, can possess a body. [Doctor's 2nd death/ Killing other frenzied creatures does not result in them turning into red mist creatures]
-More powerful attacks, abilities etc

I'm quite offtopic I guess lol but uh it helps me to list what I know...

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:26 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
Perhaps Balrog can (like a ghost) pass through walls, but take a solid form at a whim...
Maybe both Balrog and PB(not "&J"~) are both ghosts...?

Jan 16, 2008 at 9:40 AM
Justin-chan
I has a question.

If I remember correctly, Balrog comes from above in the ending where you rape Ballos' arse inside out, how does he do that without breaking any bricks if he needs to break bricks in other to get out.

Jan 16, 2008 at 12:11 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
jcys810 said:
I has a question.

If I remember correctly, Balrog comes from above in the ending where you rape Ballos' arse inside out, how does he do that without breaking any bricks if he needs to break bricks in other to get out.

Hmm... that makes sense... =/

I think Misery teleported him into the seal chamber and she can't use her magic over large distances so he had to fly out and could not be teled out of there.

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:58 PM
Respwnt
Metalogz said:
Hmm... that makes sense... =/

I think Misery teleported him into the seal chamber and she can't use her magic over large distances so he had to fly out and could not be teled out of there.
The only thing that goes against that theory is that Balrog says, "There you are, just as Misery said."

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:35 PM
Indie game enthusiast
And I have to ask what is Balrog's form of travel? I mean in many situations that you meet Balrog he's coming out of the roof, or going through the roof... Yet there isn't a single hole in any roof in the game...!
Although there is the classic breaking through the door scene in the beginning... And the final escape scene with Q and C.

I don't think Balrog's a ghost, but DragonBoots could be on to something. Perhaps he can pass through walls sometimes.
Either that or it's a 3-d world, and/or Pixel used a plot-device to save time and work. Instead of showing Balrog busting through doors and roofs all the time, and creating unique pixels to show the damage, he simply showed it the first time it happened. Then assumed you knew how it worked. And showed you the last time since it was an important scene.

In the final scene, why aren't the bricks broken when Balrog shows up?
Well, if Balrog can pass through walls somehow; he doesn't need to bust through stuff too often. But, since he was taking Quote and Curly with him he couldn't make them pass through the walls too. Only one choice then...

If Balrog can't pass through walls, do recall that the bricks are actually more skeletons. The pathway could have been clear initally, and then the skeletons moved to block the way. Without seeing 3-d we can't tell if there was another path.

But one last fact, after flying through all those skeletons, Balrog's head might have been hurting lol
Curly asked Is your head alright?
I'm not sure.. Balrog answers. lol

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:52 PM
Respwnt
X-Calibar said:
And I have to ask what is Balrog's form of travel? I mean in many situations that you meet Balrog he's coming out of the roof, or going through the roof... Yet there isn't a single hole in any roof in the game...!
Although there is the classic breaking through the door scene in the beginning... And the final escape scene with Q and C.

I don't think Balrog's a ghost, but DragonBoots could be on to something. Perhaps he can pass through walls sometimes.
Either that or it's a 3-d world, and/or Pixel used a plot-device to save time and work. Instead of showing Balrog busting through doors and roofs all the time, and creating unique pixels to show the damage, he simply showed it the first time it happened. Then assumed you knew how it worked. And showed you the last time since it was an important scene.

In the final scene, why aren't the bricks broken when Balrog shows up?
Well, if Balrog can pass through walls somehow; he doesn't need to bust through stuff too often. But, since he was taking Quote and Curly with him he couldn't make them pass through the walls too. Only one choice then...

If Balrog can't pass through walls, do recall that the bricks are actually more skeletons. The pathway could have been clear initally, and then the skeletons moved to block the way. Without seeing 3-d we can't tell if there was another path.

But one last fact, after flying through all those skeletons, Balrog's head might have been hurting lol
Curly asked Is your head alright?
I'm not sure.. Balrog answers. lol
I think 3-d is the answer to the roof thingie, but the skeletons need something differen. It's gotta be teleportation, there's no other way to explain it. Which means that It was the Dog that probably kept Ballos sealed inside, and it disappeared when Quote showed up in order to allow him to escape if he finished Ballos off.

The dialogue I earlier mentioned was probably a mistranslation. Or Pixel made a frickin' error.

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:57 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Too much elaboration :p As great as some of these theories seem, To be honest, I think Pixel just left out some details he couldn't explain. I mean really, Could Pixel had come up with that many small details? *remembers jellyfish in Grasstown*.. (And i hope that doesn't spark another crazy/semi-awesome-but-creepy conversation about Chaco ;) )

Okay, now done with that. My theory about Balrog passing through walls? Probably just 3D-ishness. The only other thing that seems to be plausible would be self fixing roofs XD hmm. Gonna stick with the whole "Its 3D and he's closer/further from the user's visual or whatever" thing...

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:46 PM
Indie game enthusiast
nmn said:
Too much elaboration :p As great as some of these theories seem, To be honest, I think Pixel just left out some details he couldn't explain. I mean really, Could Pixel had come up with that many small details? *remembers jellyfish in Grasstown*.. (And i hope that doesn't spark another crazy/semi-awesome-but-creepy conversation about Chaco ;) )

Okay, now done with that. My theory about Balrog passing through walls? Probably just 3D-ishness. The only other thing that seems to be plausible would be self fixing roofs XD hmm. Gonna stick with the whole "Its 3D and he's closer/further from the user's visual or whatever" thing...
Yeah, the truth is most cases is probably is... Pixel made it this way or that because, he liked it that way! Far from science, and filled with unexplained mysteries, like the date in the cabin; or why a cabin is in the underground waterway. Monster X the cat! Why the island has no name! etc etc etc

But, in my case, I feel the need to try to understand everything that might be explained in Cave Story, intentionally or unintentionally so that I can create a prequel mod worthy of the original ... at least that would be my hope :p

Jan 16, 2008 at 9:09 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
All this and nobody has asked about how the Snake can shoot through solid rock walls? ;)

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:44 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Jan 17, 2008 at 12:07 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
To DragonBoots: I played around with your sig pic a little (because it is so awesome) and I came up with this if you want it:
Sliver4.jpg

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:17 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I.P. Freely said:
All this and nobody has asked about how the Snake can shoot through solid rock walls? ;)
3d. It's actually going in a spiral.

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:13 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
More of an observation than a question, really. At the end, Sue is still a Mimiga, even after you've killed tons of people. I hope she isn't cursed to stay like that, because it'd be damn depressing - cute as it may be. Story logic dictates that when you kill people, curses are lifted.

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:03 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Fluid said:
More of an observation than a question, really. At the end, Sue is still a Mimiga, even after you've killed tons of people. I hope she isn't cursed to stay like that, because it'd be damn depressing - cute as it may be. Story logic dictates that when you kill people, curses are lifted.
But misery is still alive.

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:07 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
And it looks like they're doing pretty well with the technological reversal.

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:36 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Slife said:
And it looks like they're doing pretty well with the technological reversal.
yes now all they need is to stop them from sneezing:p
(wow its annoying typing on the phone:/ )