The Root

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:37 AM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The Root
I originally intended for this to be a modcon entry, but no longer felt obligated to enter after completing the mod, but I still wanted to put this out there! Included is a custom version of orgmaker, any assets that are in this mod can be used freely without permission, but credit would be appreciated!

p359218-0-o6mxmba.png

If you don't like the default font, just delete profile.dat or something.
I don't plan to continue this mod, but I'd love to see your thoughts on it either way.

https://mega.nz/#!Ut8DDQyI!dcfJXq9kzSQkBHZ20JY0yk8iJl6Yqgj37UN4UoImQQU

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 5, 2017 at 6:23 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The link doesn't work...

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:30 AM
Modding Community Discord Moderator
CSE Discord Moderator
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Jul 6, 2017 at 2:09 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I fixed the link.

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:42 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Just wanted to say there's a lot of interesting stuff going on here... You've got a huge amount of custom graphics, custom music and instruments... Neat enemy changes and sfx...
But there's this unsettling confused meandering happening, complimented with some songs with clashing instruments... I'm not sure what to make of it.

Without an upfront story, and with the music putting me at unease... I'm not getting much out of it. Still impressive, there's a lot made... but hmmm...
Didn't make it to the end though, I died randomly and was instantly slapped to the intro and didn't want to redo the boss with the pea shooter. I'll give it another go later~

PS loved the full height main character ;)

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:24 AM
"Huzzah!"
Soon as my ears got a taste of those slick jams I knew one thing:
p194873-0-uoe0ps8.png

...and I was not disappointed by the way. Seriously. I'm pretty sure this mod could have placed in a high ranking if it were entered into the contest.
I like the stylish graphics, (tiles, NPC's, facepics, etc.) and the way you remixed the music. The fact that you have your own ORGYANA program dedicated to the soundtrack is impressive. One small criticism is the lack of weapon variety- one more weapon could help complete the game play experience. Other than that I loved it through and through. ONE MORE THING- The levels to me manage to convey a lot while saying very little. Vanilla cave story is a game where a lot of stuff is intractable, but I like how this mod manages to stay lively while being vary barren in terms of stuff to look at.

8/8, would not h8, it's gr8, gonna keep using 8s, because 10/10 don' rhyme with 8. You rel8?

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 1:55 AM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I was planning to make areas like the waterway much more polished, taking better advantage of backtracking and puzzles, but it was all kinda rushed.

I didn't feel like entering modcon because I didn't want others to be put off from it just by something like this. I know the deadline is still about 2 months away, and that there are plenty of ASM wizards out there that can whip out some hack that magically makes up for the lack of actual gameplay.

I'm open to level design, so if anyone feels that they need help designing for anything, contact me through PM or Discord.

Jul 7, 2017 at 2:25 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I didn't feel like entering modcon because I didn't want others to be put off from it just by something like this. I know the deadline is still about 2 months away, and that there are plenty of ASM wizards out there that can whip out some hack that magically makes up for the lack of actual gameplay.
I'm trying to peel away the layers of this quote to figure out just how insulted I should feel