The random ideas topic of doom

Jan 14, 2010 at 12:32 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Well, as soon as i get better at modding i will start working on it.

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:30 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
That's an idea, right?

If a mod is too big for one Cave Story, make it episodic.
Have it save a Profile.dat that corresponds to the next episode, so players keep their progress from the previous game.

I 'dunno. Maybe.

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:52 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Re: That's an idea, right?

While possible, it'd take some trickery. The biggest problem is having a mod so big with so few items to spread through it.

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:55 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You could always hax in additional item slots, and then redo the menu with like, tabs or some crazy nonsense like that. Just kidding, that would be far too much work to even be worth it, I'd rather just use less items.

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:56 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I suppose the biggest problem is someone actually finishing a mod this size, we're having problems finishing regular sized mods :p.

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:58 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Maybe we should have some sort of prize for people who finish a mod, like a medal.
It would apply retroactively of course, for Wedge and carrotlord and anyone else who made a mod to completion. Perhaps different ranks for the complexity/scale of the mod, but that gets into a shady area of having to judge what's better than the other which I don't personally want to get into.

I'd make the medal myself if you paid for postage :/
maybe.

Feb 19, 2010 at 5:09 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
That seems like a cool idea. Plus it might make people work harder on their mods.

I'm all for the idea of an awards system/contest.

Mar 23, 2010 at 8:19 PM
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I keep thinking heavily about trying my hand at a Cave Story hack since I've been playing the Wii version after a good two years of making myself not replay the game anymore so it'd feel as fresh as possible when it came out on Wii. I'm realizing that that was quite silly of me and when I'm done with all the Wii-only content I'm going to start looking into hacking/modding. This is one of my favorite games ever and it's like I have this subconscious urge to do something really special for its community to 'apologize' for not being a part of it at all for too long, or something.

Of course, aside from the easiest game hacking tool ever created in the history of mankind, Lunar Magic, I haven't done any real game hacking except for some Mega Man 2 and 3 stuff, and a little bit of Zelda Improvement--and with none of these programs have I actually completed a hack, even enough to put up a beta version or demo. However, I feel very strongly that with my renewed super-interest in Cave Story I'd be able to stay focussed enough to really see it through.

I have a couple ideas off the bat. One would be a simplistic but atmospheric take involving mostly dark, music-less rooms with only a specific style of the music being used, such as "Zombie" for bosses. I'm thinking of the story being told in the pop-up text boxes i.e. how Ballos' story was told in the Sacred Grounds in the original.

I've also got the greatest idea ever for a comic hack featuring Mahin as the playable character. That'd be my greatest masterpiece if I managed to pull it off.

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:12 PM
"Huzzah!"
Heh the medal idea sounds cool. Or some kind of digital incentive for completing a mod or making a mod to a certain standard. It might be final little incentive that revives an abandoned mod or pushes someone through the coding gauntlet. But yeah it'd have to be quality based. A simple colour hack or character replacement cant get the same reward as the entire cast being changed, all levels being created from scratch or a reinvention of the game with 97% new content.