The Pier Walk ORG was Meant to be the Song for The Plantation

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:14 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I may have little evidence, but this is what little I have. At the end of the ORG, it plays a remix of the title screen. Another factor is the fact that there is a small lake below The Plantation, and you can see Kanpatchi fishing there, which may mean that it is a pier. It may also be that the part with Kanpatchi was actually supposed to be a level itself, but Pixel cut it due to either finding it not very fun or due to wanting to make it not as important, since it was only a fetch quest. Tell me what you think of this, and also let me know if this has already been discussed or if there is an official reason from Pixel.

Edit: Another reason I thought of is that Pixel didn't think the song fit the feel of the level.

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:21 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
I think this is blatantly obvious. The only pieces of "evidence" I would say are legitimate are the fact that it remixes the Title Screen. I'd go as far as to say that Pier Walk was meant to be the original title sequence, but Pier Walk was begun separate from the track "Cave Story".

Perhaps Pier Walk, as the song for the Plantation, inspired Pixel to compose "Cave Story", and feeling that the latter was a superior track, replaced Pier Walk altogether.

Also, I have a feeling the song "People of the Root" had a similar fate, though perhaps with Grasstown.

Or perhaps both of these tracks were developed originally but Pixel wanted a more lighthearted feel to the areas they're associated with.

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:36 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I remember seeing a theory like this one somewhere else...

But yeah that would make sense, I personally didn't like it because of the lack of instruments.

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:39 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Bionicobot said:
It may also be that the part with Kanpatchi was actually supposed to be a level itself,
pics or it never happened

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:40 PM
beep boop
It might have indeed never happened. He might have made the song before the level.
Then scrapped the level.

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:23 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Maybe the song was for testing and for beta and maybe he didn't like it so Pixel scrapped the song