Gosh I hope it's a ban

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:14 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Doors said:
What's our prize for losing
Gosh I hope it's a ban
The penalty for losing is that everyone knows you're a shitposter. You can rejoin the game if you stop doing that, I guess. Kicking people out of the thread would rapidly turn it into a circlejerk, or at least a boring-ass conversation between three people.
It helps to read at least some of the thread you're posting in. I understand that reading comprehension is a rare skill these days, especially on the internet, but I promise it pays off. Friends to know, ways to grow, a reading rainbow~~

But this is turning into a shitty discussion about shitty posts so I'm gonna curb it right here

or cream soda or whatever
beer is gross anyway
Why aren't there soda shops anymore? I wanna be able to walk downtown and get a delicious and refreshing beverage without getting it from a bottle in a drug store or ordering it with a greasy cheeseburger (no offense to the burger). Sometimes you just wanna get something fancy to drink, and coffee shops don't count.

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:07 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I've never seen a soda shop. I was born in such a sad generation. :<

I've had cream soda, though, and it's pretty delicious! I really like ginger ale and root beer as well - the latter is still pretty common in the 7 soda ensembles you see in every restaurant ever, but the other two are a little rarer, at least for me. Having some is a treat.

Soda fountains were pretty neat, as well...

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:41 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
oh yum, ginger ale, I love that stuff. (or anything with strong ginger for that matter)

I spend a fair amount of time around people a lot older then I am (instead of people my age). I ask them frequently about "what is was like back then".

Apparently before computers, people actually got together and spent hours swimming, riving motorcycles and horses, and yes, visiting soda shops to get soda and gain basic socializing skills.

I wonder how many school shootings/murders/sexual abuse we would have if we just got rid of the internet/video games and forced people to actually interact instead of logging 5,000 hours on a gory shooter game that teaches kids that killing innocents is alright.

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:57 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
BLink said:
oh yum, ginger ale, I love that stuff. (or anything with strong ginger for that matter)

I spend a fair amount of time around people a lot older then I am (instead of people my age). I ask them frequently about "what is was like back then"

Apparently before computers, people actually got together and spent hours swimming, riving motorcycles and horses, and yes, visiting soda shops to get soda and gain basic socializing skills.

I wonder how many school shootings/murders/sexual abuse we would have if we just got rid of the internet/video games and forced people to actually interact instead of logging 5,000 hours on a gory shooter game that teaches kids that killing innocents is alright.
Oh yeah of course the Internet is to blame for all the world's killings and murderous treaches. The world was at perfect peace before the vile "Internet and video games" came along to destroy the human race.

Sorry I know that is a lousy post, but I can't stand it when people stereotype the Internet and video games like that. Even violent ones, I guess. The problem is that those games too easily fall into the wrong hands.

Don't get me wrong - I think human interaction is a great thing, but I also think video games, the Internet etc. give us additional opportunities for that, and that violence and sexual abuse happen for many other reasons. If we didn't have these things, would the numbers truly decrease or come to a standstill?

Jul 31, 2014 at 4:26 PM
Melon Lord
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
BLink said:

Adding on to RSK's post, yet again, we have the stereotypes on the relationship between Video Games and real life Murders, along with the corruption with the young. That is to say, they have little to none.

Though, really, at this point, I'm sure most of the community is aware of this blame cycle. That is, the officials and politicians like Jack Thompson (Who is old news at this point) blame games for making kids killing machines > the Gamers blaming the News for their portrayal > The News blaming Hollywood and the like for promoting Violence > Hollywood/The Media making some excuse or something > The Cycle Repeats.

Like RSK said, it's mostly the problem of those who wouldn't be able to handle such content. Maybe they're too young, too sensitive, possibly a mental condition, and overall many factors that come into that sort of stuff.

---------------------------

As for the Soda Shops and the like, I've never seen one in my life (Was born in 1997) for some reason. Maybe I have at one point and forgot, but generally I haven't seen anything that is exclusively a Soda Shop and not some American Bar and Grill or Family Restaurant.

Though, I must say, I am getting a bit annoyed at all the mainstream/Big Corp. establishments that are everywhere, least in my town. Barely any local places to go to for some slightly more unique stuff that might be higher quality than anything else. Like how my local pizza Place, Tvoili's, pretty much got shut down, and revived, and shut down in some weird cycle because of the fact that across the street 3 years or so ago, a Little Caesar's got established. Granted, when it first arrived, I did go and grab one of their Pizzas since I've never seen anything like it (Hot N' Ready Gimmick), and it actually was decent, but it couldn't compare to my usual place.

The Plaza where Tvoili's and Little Caesar's is at is expanding for the moment, and funnily enough, Burger King, Jack in the Box, and Wendy's are all competing against each other in their own little corners. Soon enough, from the info I found, that a McD's will arrive and get its own corner when it expands again. Four individual brand name Burger places competing against each other. Let's see what survives.

I think all the Brand name stuff everywhere is probably the reason why I don't see some of the places you mention, like Soda Shops, Mom and Pop Coffee and Donut places, etc. Not to say that the other stuff that I have and haven't mentioned isn't viable in social interaction and the like, but things do start getting a bit too familiar and end up being slightly boring after a while.

Jul 31, 2014 at 5:46 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
(On mobile, so short post)

I partially agree with bombchu link in that I feel some suicides would have been prevented without internet. It's turned from an information super highway to another hub to bully and ruin people's lives. And before you argue "well that stuff happens irl too", things are a lot more accessible online (information on people, nude pictures, etc). The internet is also permanent at this point.

I feel your pain jonspider. Although I noticed around me that the non-chains wouldn't get replaced with chains. They'd either just get closed altogether or get replaced with another non-chain. It seems my town center has new businesses and things closing every other year. I lost a lot of my favorite cafes this way ;.;

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:23 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
There was this really amazing place down the road called "The Burger Joint" that had some really flavorful burgers and a huge 80's music atmosphere.

My whole family was distressed when we found out it didn't get the business it wanted (probably because of the generic name and hidden location), and was replaced with some chain "make your own pizza" thing that every single customer says is downright terrible.

I heard that there are several of them across the nation, but it was the only one in California.

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:08 PM
Melon Lord
EnlightenedOne said:
My whole family was distressed when we found out it didn't get the business it wanted (probably because of the generic name and hidden location), and was replaced with some chain "make your own pizza" thing that every single customer says is downright terrible.

I heard that there are several of them across the nation, but it was the only one in California.
That sounds familiar, actually.

We have a similar place slightly farther away from my home called 'Pieology Pizzeria'. Has a similar concept to Subway where you choose your own sort of crust, toppings, cheese, etc. Not sure if it's a coincidence.

As for Desu, I have noticed that, yeah. Tvoili's closed, then reopened as Dani's Pizza, before just being D's Pizza. Though, I'm not sure if the owners are the same - the pizza kinda got worse and not as cheesy and hot as it was before.

Not sure if anyone has a preferred sort of pizza in general.

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:38 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Captain Fabulous said:
You're fucking dead, kiddoes.

You're Adam Fucking Sandler and you're a Big Goddamn Deal still.

because who honestly gives a shit.
Captain Fabulous said:
The rules are simple:

4. No swearing.
Captain Fabulous said:
I swear to Christ
Sounds like you're the one out, kiddo.

Bringing the subject back to something I care about, here in Ashland we have a gas station on the south side of town with a wall covered in retro sodas, every brand you could imagine, and then some. They're still in glass bottles (which is a poor substitute for the real deal), but it was a choice destination for us in the pit orchestra because it was still open when the musicals ended. I must have downed at least 50 bottles of Faygo (it was a darker, more grey-tinted chapter in my life) over the course of Junior year.
As for the reason behind these disappearing hangout locations, you'll notice that almost all of them are places aimed at teenagers or preteens, a demographics that is becoming both increasingly engaged socially without having to leave the house as well as lower on personal freedoms and funds (not to pull the "Overprotective Generation" circlejerk card, but it's true to a degree). When you get down to it, these places aren't really profitable anymore, which sucks.

Going even further back to the movie industry, I think it's easy to become disillusioned when you don't often go to a theater. Of course all you see in ads and on billboards and in trailers for other movies is exactly the kind of drivel you are trying to avoid, but it's not like we haven't had some slick movies in the past 10 years.
I'm personally a big fan of Wes Anderson films, and his most recent two (The Grand Budapest Hotel and Moonrise Kingdom) came out in 2014 and 2012 respectively. Slumdog Millionaire was both excellent and really popular, Disney movies are the best they've been in a while, and of course you have the more serious war movies coming out (Hurt Locker, Zero Dark Thirty, etc.) that are getting some serious acclaim.

I think the general consensus that we're making sequels and superhero movies forever is only because that's all we see in media that isn't actually a theater; a quick trip to the showtimes list and a smartphone can actually make for a good movie experience in my opinion.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:10 PM
Been here way too long...
cultr1 said:
Sounds like you're the one out, kiddo.
I was hoping I wouldn't have to say it, but Rule 4 was a joke SECRET BONUS YOU WON THE SECRET PRIZE CONGRATULATIONS SIR!!!!!! You get to make one free shitpost*!

*offer not redeemable on this thread

You know what kids did before violent video games existed? They found gun-shaped sticks and shot each other. They might even have enforced racist stereotypes while they were at it.

Kids can tell the difference between pretending to kill someone and actually killing someone. Video games don't teach kids that "killing innocents is alright." I can think of only a handful of games that encourage it even slightly, and you'd have to be a pretty irresponsible parent to let your kid play Spec Ops or some shit unsupervised. Terrible parents like that have more effective ways of fucking up their children than letting them play the wrong video games. Besides, what child is going to play Spec Ops willingly? Gameplay is boring as fuck.

However, I think we should ban video games that teach our kids that stealing gold rings and being attracted to pink hedgehogs is alright. Sexual abuse and painting of hedgehogs has risen 4000% since 1993, and it's all because of children's complete inability to tell Sonic the Hedgehog apart from reality. You can hardly blame them. So ban that shit! It's destroying our once-great nation and its hedgehogs.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:31 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
I should of clarified my post saying logging the 5,000 hours replaces real socialization nowadays and that's why the go out and shoot others, they can't socialize properly.

point made.

point made again.
(let's change the topic before I start WWIII again)

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:34 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Captain Fabulous said:
However, I think we should ban video games that teach our kids that stealing gold rings and being attracted to pink hedgehogs is alright. Sexual abuse and painting of hedgehogs has risen 4000% since 1993, and it's all because of children's complete inability to tell Sonic the Hedgehog apart from reality. You can hardly blame them. So ban that shit! It's destroying our once-great nation and its hedgehogs.
I personally believe that games that encourage walking into random people's houses, breaking their pottery, and stealing their money are even worse than that.

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:21 AM
Banned
I always had a problem with people who would blame technology/the internet/video games as the source of all of today's issues. If you take a look at when technology really started to boom, they haven't been around that long. Plenty of horrible things have happened in history that can't be attributed to video games on the basis of them not existing yet, and them existing now isn't causing today's issues.

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:48 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Tablets are awful for writing real posts so I'm gonna make it snappy

@Fab the same person who used their iPhone to film some scenes killed himself a year later. Makes you think.

@Noxid I'm guessing that soda shops are kinda a cultural thing, but I'm not entirely sure how it left. I was gonna attribute it to the death of arcade culture but there was a pretty definite thing to that (kinda replaced by videogame consoles and the culture surrounding that). I'm not sure how to describe that other than "times are changing." Kinda want to know more of this because it sounds kinda interesting

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:21 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Israel vs. Palestine

Putin vs. Ukraine

Whose side are you on?

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:19 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Noxid said:
beer is gross anyway
Why aren't there soda shops anymore? I wanna be able to walk downtown and get a delicious and refreshing beverage without getting it from a bottle in a drug store or ordering it with a greasy cheeseburger (no offense to the burger). Sometimes you just wanna get something fancy to drink, and coffee shops don't count.
Beer is awful but it does get you drunk so i guess that's something

I'd really love to have more boba tea stands or just smoothie bars in general over here. I really dig boba tea, but i really have to go out of my way to get one. Usually whenever i find one in a popular district it's gone within a year, come to think of it a lot of interesting shops have dissapeared over the years. Nowadays it's all fasion stores and the usual fare you see in a city centre.

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:26 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
There was this amazing cream soda I used to get, but nowhere around me seems to sell it anymore.

This is the one:
http://www.boylanbottling.com/product/creme/

Amazing stuff.

Thatnamelessguy said:
I personally believe that games that encourage walking into random people's houses, breaking their pottery, and stealing their money are even worse than that.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Marcus Brigstocke

bobbyis said:
I always had a problem with people who would blame technology/the internet/video games as the source of all of today's issues. If you take a look at when technology really started to boom, they haven't been around that long. Plenty of horrible things have happened in history that can't be attributed to video games on the basis of them not existing yet, and them existing now isn't causing today's issues.
Same here, but as I see it there can only be two very common causes:

1. The need to find something or someone to blame, preferably of anything-else-but-you variety.
2. The desire to find simple solutions for complex problems.

Or alternatively some sheep who takes on the opinions of others that fit the above conditions.

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:52 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
This can't die yet, it's to good a game and by far my favorites.

Anyone remember this horror as a kid?

p186602-0-rubixcube.jpg

Back a year ago, I could solve it in 60 seconds average, my best time was 47 seconds, I have like 5 of these hanging around the house along with a silver collectors edition (called a Rubiks Icon) and a 4x4 and a 5x5.

Then I found the internet.

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:06 PM
Been here way too long...
I got one of those recently and the closest I ever got to making progress was completing 3/4 of one side. I don't know how to solve Rubik's cubes. Even 2D slider puzzles were EMBARRASSINGLY DIFFICULT until Hello Kitty taught me the ways of the sliders.

I know I could like, look up how to solve a rubbin's cub, but I don't really give that much of a fuck. Mine's a piece of shit anyway. If I still had that slider puzzle of Han Solo frozen in carbonite that I got from McDonald's 15 years ago, I'd solve that.

And, to be honest, I don't really care about soda or the psychological effects of video games, so I'm just going to let those two trains of thought derail.