The New Touhou Story Thread! [ON HIATUS-- DEFINITELY not abandoned]

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:38 AM
essentially spirited away for an indefinite time.
"..."
ORUYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-speeds down like Aya-

Hello, you all remember Touhou Story, right? A few months ago I did release another beta... but the first release... wasn't a beta. It was in an alpha-alpha stage now that I look at it. But here, I finally release a very more improved and beta tested beta v0.6 of Touhou Story! enjoy! Touhou Story shall be updated throughout~

First Release: V0.6

http://www.4shared.com/rar/9xMtGko3/touhoustory_1.html

oh! sorry! and for users who don't want to sign up to download:

http://rapidshare.com/files/565333648/touhoustory.rar

Second Release: V0.6.6

please tell me if I should change back the backgrounds.

http://rapidshare.com/files/1545488789/touhoustory.rar

Third Release: V0.6.7

just a simple event fix.. and an implementation of a new map to be put in later, and a title and intro screen change.

http://rapidshare.com/files/775895584/touhoustory.rar

Fourth Release: V0.7

wow, what an adorable textbox~! and a whole facepic line dedicated to Cirno. LOL

http://www.dropbox.com/s/zc8yj87p1my9vh0/touhoustory.rar

Fifth Release: V0.8.5

two more new bosses. with the help of Randolf and Noxid, I managed to make a boss out of the Toroko sword event!

--yes I notice it's the same link as above. I'll keep re-posting it with later releases so that it's easier to get and causes less confusion.

http://www.dropbox.com/s/zc8yj87p1my9vh0/touhoustory.rar current version!

Sixth Release: V0.8.8

several new bosses, i also added some maps aswell........ o ye and theres plentyo f new enemies 2....... :) and AAAAAAAA the Marisa event is fINALLY HERE,,, u can play as Marisa now!!!!!!!!!! so enjoy that time u have w her....... :3 and ofc, some new weapons aswell, and u can also have Sanae by your back at some point.........

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zc8yj87p1my9vh0/touhoustory.rar?dl=0

Changelog:
Beta v0.6 - First Release of New Touhou Story!

---

Beta v.0.6.6 - Added some backgrounds to replace most of the fog backgrounds.
- Added tree tiles to PrtWeed
- Added the Grimoire of Alice item to Marisa's House map
- Event for Grimoire of Alice now complete
- Added a "Return Dolls to Alice" event, thus deleting the dolls completely from Marisa's House
- New Boss Added to Former Radio Tower? (replaces Balrog)
- A new Reimu facepic, plus a facepic for the new boss
- Reimu's sprites tweaked a bit

---

Beta v.0.6.7 - Added new title, and an intro which needs improvement..
- Made it so that you'll need flying ability to get past Forest of Magic, to avoid event issues
- Implemented a map for the house in Road of Travel -- will be added next release.
- Fixed the item GIT for the weapons.
- Removed FR blocks in Alice's House, by request...

---

Beta v.0.7

- Road of Travel is all fully complete, with three 1-UP's around the whole map (one is in the now enterable shrine.)
- Changed ranges of Paper Tags
- Misty Lake added (another boss); uses special drowning event like in the core room.
- Intro changed back to original (will be redone sometime after)
- Kourindou and it's shop also added, but Rinnosuke isn't there yet
- Text box format modified into a more beautiful look!
- New enemy: Red Power Hoshizako
- Some Reimu facepics in the game were changed to a new sweatdrop Facepic, or a new happy look facepic.
- Suwako's sprites (not yet used in game, but existed since first release of original Touhou Story) were remodeled~!

---

Beta v.0.8.5

- Scarlet Devil Mansion added.
- More facepics of Reimu!
- Several new maps remodeled slightly~
- Two new bosses.
- Also the creation of Youkai Mountain, which I believe so far as I've seen just about pretty much every mod by now... it's the biggest map of any mod so far.
- Yes/No box color changed, although the outer side has yet to change.
- Marks the first use of Assembly Hacking.
- The game actually marks an ending point. (MAY be buggy!)
- Intro returned, this time with better condition.

---

Beta v.0.8.8
- Added Marisa as a second playable character during the game.
- Added several new bosses.
- Changed the way the doors work in most maps, they actually make a sound now.
- Changed the way some sprites function, certain ones hadn't been aligned properly.
- A lot more facepics were added.
- Different weapons, which are for Marisa, have been added.
- Added plenty of new maps, and did some remodeling on certain maps.
- More complicated Assembly Hacking has been made, but only by a little bit.
- Changed some ANPs for certain NPCs.
- Plenty of new enemies have been added, both for new maps and old maps.
- A NPC for fun has been added to one of the old maps! They're even flag-dependent, too!

Edit: A place for screenshots!

First Screenshot: This shows some newly added tree tiles to the first part of Forest of Magic, to give it more of a foresty look, since some people were complaining it doesn't look like a forest..

Second Screenshot: A planning stage, literally, a map that will be put into Touhou Story in the future, very likely after the next location to be put in the game. The first appearance of Yukari, who will be replacing Misery.

Attachments

• thstoryscreenshot1.png
    thstoryscreenshot1.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 69
  • planningstage1.png
    planningstage1.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Jan 22, 2013 at 5:35 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
WinRar WinZip 7Zip
Those are three off the top of my head
7Zip is free
WinRar's trial expires but doesn't do anything
WinZip's trial actually expires
Take your pick

Jan 22, 2013 at 7:59 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Touhou Story, eh? Interesting.

I've always wanted Touhou get into platformers. Or something like Mugen or SSBB.

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I knew that Runelancer stole Ryuuoutan's ideas.
I'll see how far I can get in this mod without crashing my com--I mean Collapse of Fantasy is a pretty decent hack, no?
Anyway, I would like to see how you have improved since the last time I downloaded one of your Touhou mods. Last time, some things were really just not comprehensible.

EDIT:
This is a really nice surprise. I had a hard time believing that you suddenly became this good at modding.
I am actually really impressed by the graphics. And how you managed to ASM hack one of the enemies so that it would be basically like a harmless moving creature.

Great work. The only problem I have seen so far is that you can get stuck on the H/V trigger in the second room.
You may want to work on map design. Everything just looks way too square in the second room.

So, you do know a little bit of x86 assembly, and you seem to be pretty good at artwork. Just need to work on basic scripting knowledge. Hey, if you learn how to compose custom music, you can totally compete with Collapse of Fantasy no problem.

Your flags look fine, because Alice can actually do conditional things, amazingly.
There is a big issue with the pond in Alice's house. If you decide to jump in, you are basically stuck forever,
because the water level is too high. You should put some -127 spikes there just for mercy's sake.

Note to all Ryuuoutan haters: Play the mod for real and you will see that absolutely no part of this post is a troll or a lie.

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:31 PM
"..."
Carrotlord said:
I knew that Runelancer stole Ryuuoutan's ideas.
I'll see how far I can get in this mod without crashing my com--I mean Collapse of Fantasy is a pretty decent hack, no?
Anyway, I would like to see how you have improved since the last time I downloaded one of your Touhou mods. Last time, some things were really just not comprehensible.

EDIT:
This is a really nice surprise. I had a hard time believing that you suddenly became this good at modding.
I am actually really impressed by the graphics. And how you managed to ASM hack one of the enemies so that it would be basically like a harmless moving creature.

Great work. The only problem I have seen so far is that you can get stuck on the H/V trigger in the second room.
You may want to work on map design. Everything just looks way too square in the second room.

So, you do know a little bit of x86 assembly, and you seem to be pretty good at artwork. Just need to work on basic scripting knowledge. Hey, if you learn how to compose custom music, you can totally compete with Collapse of Fantasy no problem.

Your flags look fine, because Alice can actually do conditional things, amazingly.
There is a big issue with the pond in Alice's house. If you decide to jump in, you are basically stuck forever,
because the water level is too high. You should put some -127 spikes there just for mercy's sake.

Note to all Ryuuoutan haters: Play the mod for real and you will see that absolutely no part of this post is a troll or a lie.
1. thanks, but I edited the npc table really, anyone could've done that ^^;;

2. I put MYD instead of MYB. easy to fix! as for the second room, I was kind of hoping for a closed, mountainside look.

3. i'll have to see that mod..

4. I put that there for a reason... look behind all those FRi blocks, press down until you find something. thats your way out. sorry, I do love to put a little challenge at the earliest point .u.

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:43 AM
Professional Whatever
Ryuuoutan said:
2. I put MYD instead of MYB. easy to fix! as for the second room, I was kind of hoping for a closed, mountainside look.
But uh the thing is it appears to be a floating island, so you might wanna at least fill the bottom with "mountain" tiles to make it look cleaner.

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:12 AM
"..."
I'm leaving it like that because something will be added under there later.

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:38 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Pretty good, just some gameplay clipping glitches! For example, the Machine Gun can be used to fly up, which will let you skip getting the Booster. Besides that, it's pretty well done!

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:53 PM
"..."
okay, so it seems like a LOT of mods have been abandoned. and I have abandoned Touhou Story for a while now. but now I'm back to it. and I know now that it definitely isn't going to be abandoned any time soon, since I have everything planned to be put in it, all the way up to finish.

so, it's a promise! :D

fifth release has been done!

fifth release has been done!

sixth release has been done!

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Okay, just played it and I don't know what Touhou is so sorry if I criticize things that were intentional.

• First off make the download file a .zip instead of a .rar, some people can't open .rar's but everyone can open up .zip's.
  • All of the custom sprites are quite ugly and confusing. Also, the enemies are really weird, don't know if that is intentional or not though. However, the face pictures are okay.
  • The map design is also quite ugly, they have form but the use of the tiles are ugly. There is also stuff like on the second map the background tiles don't work with the slanted edges in the foreground but you left them in anyway leaving a horrible jagged edge and in the first house where you get the 'Fly', there is floating water.
  • When I went through the door to go into the house the door did not play it's opening animation.
  • Same with the chest, after opening it the sprite did not change to show I had opened it.
  • When going from the map 'Forest of Magic P2' too 'Forest of Magic' it spawns you in mid-air and you fall landing directly on to enemies, that is cheap; have it so that you spawn on the ledge instead to avoid unnecessary damage.
  • The floor on the 'Forest of Magic P2' map is messed up. There are slanted tiles, that are hardly noticeable, that have normal square tiles next to them meaning as I walk my character occasionally gets stuck forcing me to jump. Just make the floor a flat surface. Same with the second map.
  • The lines of text sometimes go out of the text box meaning I can't read them.
  • You don't need to put the words '-thunk- -thunk- etc.' because you already had the sounds playing in the game making no use to have text to display sounds we can hear.
  • The dialogue is poorly written, everyone talks like a robot and the dialogue in general does not sound natural.
  • I died at the first boss and gave up because there where no save points so I had to start from the beginning.

The main problem is just the lack of polish, you could fix all of these things quite easily and have a decent mod, but right now it just makes it a chore to play. Hope you stick with this one, good luck on the mod.

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
If people can't be assed to download 7zip that's their fault, not rootan's
If you're going to tell her her sprites and such suck tell her why instead of just coming across as a condescending douche
Same goes for the dialogue, maybe, I dunno, give suggestions??? jeez, people generally want constructive criticism rather than "this sucks, fix it"

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:00 PM
If you're going to tell her her sprites and such suck tell her why instead of just coming across as a condescending douche
Okay. The enemy sprites look very rough and jagged, I would smooth them out here is an example. Same for the other stuff, currently everything looks quite jagged. For the bkSky.bmp I would work smooth out the clouds to look more like the sky, it looks weird having the smoothed out blue sky with the pixelated clouds. For the bkFOMSky.bmp the colours blend too much with the foreground and the trees are jagged, I would smooth it out to look like the bkSky.bmp to give the backgrounds a cohesive look. That is all for the textures everything looks jagged apart from that everything else on them is fine so you just need to focus on smoothing.
diph.php

Same goes for the dialogue, maybe, I dunno, give suggestions??? jeez, people generally want constructive criticism rather than "this sucks, fix it"
What I mean is just the script has a lot of unnecessary lines of dialogue. I suggest going through the script and read it whilst missing certain sentences and if the script still flows fine and nothing is lost from the overall text then remove it. I think I just worded what I was saying wrong and got mixed up, what I meant to say was the dialogue feels loose it just needs to be tightened up and polished. So just remove lines that have no purpose.

@Dunc
Sorry,I didn't know 7zip could open rar files I thought it could only open zip files, I thought that because it was a rar file people with 7zip couldn't open it and those with WinRar were the only ones who could.

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Professional Whatever
Dunc2403 said:
Wow dunc stop being an ass

1. He was just saying that .zip is easier to work with for most people
2. He was giving constructive criticism, he doesn't need to explain every detail; "the art needs some work" should be fine
3. He said that the dialogue is robotic, meaning that the characters need more emotion - how is this not constructive criticism?

jeez, people generally think that everyone who critiques mods is a fucking wizard at everything

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Hey I'm good now, I just knew that he could give more than what he initially had (which he just proved) so I said he should elaborate
Also I pointed out the 7zip thing

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:36 AM
"..."
uhm,

PixelVortex said:
Okay, just played it and I don't know what Touhou is so sorry if I criticize things that were intentional.

• First off make the download file a .zip instead of a .rar, some people can't open .rar's but everyone can open up .zip's.
  • All of the custom sprites are quite ugly and confusing. Also, the enemies are really weird, don't know if that is intentional or not though. However, the face pictures are okay.
  • The map design is also quite ugly, they have form but the use of the tiles are ugly. There is also stuff like on the second map the background tiles don't work with the slanted edges in the foreground but you left them in anyway leaving a horrible jagged edge and in the first house where you get the 'Fly', there is floating water.
  • When I went through the door to go into the house the door did not play it's opening animation.
  • Same with the chest, after opening it the sprite did not change to show I had opened it.
  • When going from the map 'Forest of Magic P2' too 'Forest of Magic' it spawns you in mid-air and you fall landing directly on to enemies, that is cheap; have it so that you spawn on the ledge instead to avoid unnecessary damage.
  • The floor on the 'Forest of Magic P2' map is messed up. There are slanted tiles, that are hardly noticeable, that have normal square tiles next to them meaning as I walk my character occasionally gets stuck forcing me to jump. Just make the floor a flat surface. Same with the second map.
  • The lines of text sometimes go out of the text box meaning I can't read them.
  • You don't need to put the words '-thunk- -thunk- etc.' because you already had the sounds playing in the game making no use to have text to display sounds we can hear.
  • The dialogue is poorly written, everyone talks like a robot and the dialogue in general does not sound natural.
  • I died at the first boss and gave up because there where no save points so I had to start from the beginning.

The main problem is just the lack of polish, you could fix all of these things quite easily and have a decent mod, but right now it just makes it a chore to play. Hope you stick with this one, good luck on the mod.
quite ugly and confusing.. well, as for the weirdness, I guess that just depends because of what you know about Touhou.

as for the "floating water", would you rather that I fill that with so much water that you drown?._.

the door, I can fix that. the chest.... it works after you reload the map again. I don't know why initially.

I don't think I made you go THAT far.

I don't want it to be completely blank...

for the poorly written dialogue, I absolutely disagree with you. I use the facepics to make up for the absence of emotion in the dialogue itself. :/

you aren't that far from the shrine, you know...

--and for your next post

the FOE is SUPPOSED to have that face... and your version lacks any shading around it, really.

for the dialogue, I don't like short lines. honestly, more dialogue is better.

--

so yeah, there you go~

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:37 AM
quite ugly and confusing.. well, as for the weirdness, I guess that just depends because of what you know about Touhou.

as for the "floating water", would you rather that I fill that with so much water that you drown?._.

the door, I can fix that. the chest.... it works after you reload the map again. I don't know why initially.

I don't think I made you go THAT far.

I don't want it to be completely blank...

for the poorly written dialogue, I absolutely disagree with you. I use the facepics to make up for the absence of emotion in the dialogue itself. :/

you aren't that far from the shrine, you know...

--and for your next post

the FOE is SUPPOSED to have that face... and your version lacks any shading around it, really.

for the dialogue, I don't like short lines. honestly, more dialogue is better.
  • That was why I didn't want to comment that much on the sprites in my first post, I didn't know whether it was a stylistic choice or not.
  • Not that just make it look like the water is confined, unless that is another stylistic choice to do with Touhou.
  • Okay.
  • Well it was just annoying that I took unavoidable damage that killed me just because I wanted to go back a bit.
  • You don't have to make it blank, I was just saying it is annoying that you just randomly get stopped by the floor, you can keep the slanted tiles just make them flow together, like this
diph.php
Your floor is on the left, the arrows mark points where you are forced to jump. You can do what is on the right which keeps the map interesting but doesn't force the player too jump.
  • I agree, I was quite harsh on the dialogue, sorry about that, again just the lack of knowledge on Touhou.

Sorry if I came off as being a douche in the first post.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:14 AM
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
It's not like Touhou ever even HAD characters in the first place, anyway. Just a bunch of avatars who can fly and throw marshmallows, and rant about broken religious philosophy after they finish brutally murdering each other.

It's like the slice-of-life version of Super Dodge Ball, really. Only it has competition that is thoroughly better.

So just a hint, you can never NOT come off as being a douche if you say anything bad about the mediocre franchise. They will cut you.

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:34 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Or maybe she's a bit sensitive and is defending her mod and it has nothing to do with the franchise? Nah, that's not nearly narrow-minded enough.